• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does Marvel Have Editors Anymore?

22 posts in this topic

Drice,

Your right as I just checked issue #83 and that was part 4 of 6. That is just terrible. I bet you heads will roll over this one.

Emma Frost #14

in the 'previously' recap is says (of the last issue) 'part one of four', but next to the issue's title it says 'part 2 of 6'.

Any advice/suggestions on building a work record? I'm making the transition from radio to editing.

You're not getting in at the best of times (the "roaring 90's"), but you're not getting in at the worst of times (2000-2001), either. Here are a few thoughts (other tech writers/editors may have more):

- Take at least one copyediting (or similar) class. This will help you find out if you have a "knack" for it or not (and you either have it or you don't, from my experience), and you can add it to your resume. Some colleges have certificates you can get, which will take a lot less time than getting a degree (my degree is in English with a concentration in writing and editing, but you may not have time for that).

- It will help to have some kind of work experience. I was a copyeditor for my college newspaper when I was in college. Newspapers need copyeditors, but I think the hours are in the afternoon/evening (may work with your radio schedule, I don't know). If you can't find paying work, even volunteer work (editing newsletters for charities or other similar agencies) will be good experience and will also be good for your resume.

- A lot of companies don't use people who are strictly editors. A lot of tech writing groups just use "peer editing" (they look over each other's work; always helps to have a fresh pair of eyes). Although putting out bad (confusing, inaccurate, incomplete, etc.) documentation makes the company look flat-out stupid, the documentation department (if there even is one) is usually at the "bottom of the food chain" and isn't seen as important as the engineers/developers/programmers. Editors are seen as especially expendable since most tech writers are good editors anyway (same personality type - very thorough, meticulous, nitpicky, etc.). I've met very few people over the past 10 years who only do editing.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Chris