• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bigger SA Key: Silver Surfer 1 or Iron Man 1?

Bigger SA Key: Silver Surfer 1 or Iron Man 1?  

384 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger SA Key: Silver Surfer 1 or Iron Man 1?

140 posts in this topic

What, exactly, makes these books keys?

Neither is the 1st appearance of the title character.

Neither contains the 1st appearance of a major/semi-major/minor character of any importance.

Neither book has a 'classic cover' designation

So basically, the initial premise to the OP's question assumes these two books are Silver Age keys when in fact, they are not.

I consider #1 issues (real #1s, not the current, endless relaunches) to be more significant than classic covers.

That's fine, but do you really consider these books Silver Age Keys? Do these books hold weight against AF 15, ASM 1, Hulk 1, FF1, 4, 5, 12, 48, etc.

No, they're obviously not in that heavyweight class, but I still think of the "Class of '68" as key books.

Just lesser keys.

A good friend of mine is new to SA collecting, and his favorite character is the Silver Surfer. From his perspective, I can see SS #1 being a HUGE deal. After FF #48-50, what would move the needle more than a Silver Surfer #1?

So following your criteria of what makes a key, the books listed below can join SS 1 and IM 1 as non-keys:

Showcase 30

Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane 1

Challengers of the Unknown 1

Hulk 102

Wonder Woman 105

Green Lantern 76

House of Secrets 1

Hawkman 1

Strange Tales 101

Detective Comics 395

Our Fighting Forces 123

Captain America 100

Witching Hour 1

House of Mystery 174

Tales of the Unexpected 40

Mystery in Space 53, 75, & 87

Tales to Astonish 1

Tales of Suspense 1

Detective Comics 327

Metal Men 1

Sea Devils 1

Rip Hunter, Time Master 1

(Please forgive me for leaving out some)

While the above mentioned books are not in the same tiers with AF 15, Showcase 4, BB 28, Hulk 1, FF 1, 4, &5, ASM 1, Showcase 22, etc- they are keys, nevertheless.

So following your criteria of what makes a key, the books listed below can join SS 1 and IM 1 as non-keys:

Showcase 30

Hulk 102

Wonder Woman 105

Green Lantern 76

House of Secrets 1

Hawkman 1

Strange Tales 101

Detective Comics 395

Our Fighting Forces 123

Captain America 100

Witching Hour 1

House of Mystery 174

Tales to Astonish 1

Tales of Suspense 1

Detective Comics 327

Metal Men 1

Sea Devils 1

While the above mentioned books are not in the same tiers with AF 15, Showcase 4, BB 28, Hulk 1, FF 1, 4, &5, ASM 1, Showcase 22, etc- they are keys, nevertheless.

Correct. I don't consider any of the comics in your list to be Silver Age keys.

Showcase 30

Hulk 102

Wonder Woman 105

Green Lantern 76

House of Secrets 1

Hawkman 1

Strange Tales 101

Detective Comics 395

Our Fighting Forces 123

Captain America 100

Witching Hour 1

House of Mystery 174

Tales to Astonish 1

Tales of Suspense 1

Detective Comics 327

Metal Men 1

Sea Devils 1

:o

Showcase 30

Hulk 102

Wonder Woman 105

Green Lantern 76

House of Secrets 1

Hawkman 1

Strange Tales 101

Detective Comics 395

Our Fighting Forces 123

Captain America 100

Witching Hour 1

House of Mystery 174

Tales to Astonish 1

Tales of Suspense 1

Detective Comics 327

Metal Men 1

Sea Devils 1

The aforementioned class of ´68

Showcase 30

Hulk 102

Wonder Woman 105

Green Lantern 76

House of Secrets 1

Hawkman 1

Strange Tales 101

Detective Comics 395

Our Fighting Forces 123

Captain America 100

Witching Hour 1

House of Mystery 174

Tales to Astonish 1

Tales of Suspense 1

Detective Comics 327

Metal Men 1

Sea Devils 1

The aforementioned class of ´68

I love details, they are fun. :o

Showcase 30

Hulk 102

Wonder Woman 105

Green Lantern 76

House of Secrets 1

Hawkman 1

Strange Tales 101

Detective Comics 395

Our Fighting Forces 123

Captain America 100

Witching Hour 1

House of Mystery 174

Tales to Astonish 1

Tales of Suspense 1

Detective Comics 327

Metal Men 1

Sea Devils 1

:o

+1 None of those books are keys, especially the class of '68 books.

We have had this debate before (another thread)...

One school of thought is:

"The definition of key is any book that is more sought after than like books of the time."

Another school of thought is:

"There are many levels of key: highly desirable books, minor keys, mega keys, and elite keys."

I'm sure this will continue to be debated for eons, but I consider a 'key' as a first appearance of a significant character and/or a #1 issue of said characters series. Other books are highly desirable IMHO.

Let the debate continue :applause:

"The definition of key is any book that is more sought after that like books of the time."

"There are many levels of key: highly desirable books, minor keys, mega keys, and elite keys."

I'm sure this will continue to be debated for eons, but I consider a 'key' as a first appearance of a significant character and/or a #1 issue of said characters series. Other books are highly desirable IMHO.

I concur, first appearances and number 1's are key issues whether we consider them as major or minor keys.

Bottom line: it is good for the future of collecting to include more comics into the spectrum of keys. Books that are more recent (silver, bronze, rare modern, etc.) should be and are included.

If all we ever did was include super elite mega stupendous books as "keys," there would be no future for collecting due to price of entry. Very few people can afford a $5,000 comic, let alone one for $1,000,000.

Everyone should get the opportunity to feel good about what they are collecting, just my 2c

"The definition of key is any book that is more sought after that like books of the time."

I concur, first appearances and number 1's are key issues whether we consider them as major or minor keys.

Bottom line: it is good for the future of collecting to include more comics into the spectrum of keys. Books that are more recent (silver, bronze, rare modern, etc.) should be and are included.

If all we ever did was include super elite mega stupendous books as "keys," there would be no future for collecting due to price of entry. Very few people can afford a $5,000 comic, let alone one for $1,000,000.

Everyone should get the opportunity to feel good about what they are collecting, just my 2c

That's absurd. With all the re-numberings and #1's since the mid-80's, I can't wait to see you apply that to Coppers and Moderns.

That's absurd. With all the re-numberings and #1's since the mid-80's, I can't wait to see you apply that to Coppers and Moderns.

So 15 years from now you are going to tell your children or grandchildren that are collecting comics that the only way to obtain "keys" or highly valued books is to save until they are 25 and spend $10,000?

That is absurd.

And by the way, I never said their value would be the same. Nor did I say their value would be particularly high for some time, if ever. Only that including a broader set of comics as "key issues" as they are collected by younger generations is a good choice.

So 15 years from now you are going to tell your children or grandchildren that are collecting comics that the only way to obtain "keys" or highly valued books is to save until they are 25 and spend $10,000?

That is absurd.

And yet that's the way the market is moving. Its not absurd if its reality.