• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Avengers #1-#6 all to have variant cover editions...

49 posts in this topic

"All he has to do is sell the variants for 20+ times his cost- How many shops do you think even have a base that will buy 50 New Avengers #1? I'm guesstimating less than a third of Diamond accounts can sell thru 50 copies,and by issue 6 I doubt a quarter of the shiops will be selling 50 copies.

20 copies. I said 20 copies.

What I said was... sell the variant for enough money to cover the cost of the other 19 regulars.

If you sell ONE book, the variant... and cover your costs for all 20...

Then you can blow out the 19 regular editions at any price you want. $0.50. etc.

You bring up an interesting point. From speaking with several store owners about this,the impression is the incentives kick in at a 100 book minimum,yet that information is clearly not stated in the press release.

If,indeed, a store owner can order 20 copies and get a variant,thats all well and good.I'm not sure this will be the case,however. I certainly hope it is.

Here is a real world example of why this incentive program sucks and is ill thought out.

I aproached a forum member who I thought had a Diamond account,looking to purchase an additional 100 copies of Avenger #1.

After checking wih his 'source" the answer came back thus:

In order to buy 100 copies of #1,I would need to commit to buying 475 copies of issues 2 thru 6. Otherwise this order would screw up his ability to recieve the variants of issues 2 thru 6.since he doesn't know me,prepayment of the entire amount is due up front.

Now lets suppose there were fifty people like myself,who felt like taking a flyer on NA#1 but don't wish to buy the entire six issue arc,that is 5,000 lost sales. Almost a quarter of the sales of the book befor the current arc.

If you order 100 additional copies of #1 from your source, then he has to eat at least 95 more copies than he would normally order just to get make the 95% for the issue #2 variant.

Two things can happen at this point. Your "source" can either place that additional 95%, but then he has to place an additional 90 copy order for issue #3 and so on for all variants.

The other thing he can do is place his normal order for Issue 2 and not get any variants for issue 2. Then he only has to place his normal order to get variants for issues 3-6, assuming he places at least 95% of each previous order.

My guess is from the response of you "source" he wants the issue 2 variant enough not to mass order the first issue.

EXACTLY.

Which brings us full circle to my original point of dealers needing to limit their orders for issue#1,in order to qualify for the variants of the later issues.

As Marvel is not making an additional cent off of the variants,and they,in fact, are causing addtional expenses to Marvel- to have a program where retailers need to limit the orders of #1,for any reason, is simply stupid.

I really hope every store does order 200 copies,and that there are 45,000 variants of #1 floating around. Joe Q can laugh to the bank and Diamond will cut ties with several hundred comic shops who suddenly can't pay their monthly bill.Then,around issue #4 when the amount of variants has dropped 90%,the remaining will jump back on the sinking ship and order so many #6s that the market will once again be flooded with variants. Just a wid guess here,but I'm thinking, ten years down the line,

the key issues of New Avengers might well be issues 7 thru 10.

I have no doubt that dealers will limit their issue 1 orders. They only limit themselves for the subsequent orders.

This is still much better than the incentive for Astonishing X-men #1, which wasone variant for each hundred books ordered. Think of how many regular copies exist for that issue, just to get the variant copies.

Here,we disagree. Two reasons why I think this is a much worse incentive program.

1) That incentive program was not tied to any future orders.

2) Limiting the variant to one out of 100 ordered made the variant a true scarcity. Since most shops didn't order the required 100 copies,the true ratio might be something closer to 150 to 1,as opposed to the 19 to 1 the NA#1 will have.

Just imagine yourself as a small shop owner. Someone walks in and wishes to purchase 50 copies of this book,cash in hand. You need to explain that in order to do this,he'd have to buy 240 copies of subsiquent books.How understanding will he be,do you think.

How pissed will you be,letting an easy $$$$ deal slip thru your hand? Or you take the cash and screw up your variants for issue#2.

I'm done here,before it degenerates into a flame fest. I wil read your reply but I doubt anything good will come from prolonged debate. Lets leave it on a positive basis,

you with your opinion,and me with mine. thumbsup2.gif

It only degenerates into a flame fest if you allow it to. Right now it's just a matter or opinion. We each have a point of view.

Each shop has to make their own decision based upon their client base. If they think their clients really enjoy variant issues then they might keep an even order for all six issues in order to get the same amount of variants.

However if they own a shop where the customers don't really buy variants he may not be concerned with the variants as much.

For some of the reasons listed above, the second variant may be the scarcer of all of them, just because some shops may not be able to fulfill the 95%, possibly.

Regardless, I think this may just be the beginning of these crazy incentive deals from Marvel. Does DC do this type of thing at all?