• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poisoned Chalice Part 13: More Angela, More Courtrooms, and Much More Todd

42 posts in this topic

Stan Lee knew how to sell the characters, He did come up with the characters personality, approved of pages, came up with plots, let the artist have some freedom to tell the story any which way they wanted rather than being a control freak and saying "Im the boss, it's my way or the highway"

Someone has to take that writer's idea and put pen to paper and draw the characters in the end. There's creative license taken in that process, and therefore the artist is just as much a creator as the writer.

If anything, Lee's hands off approach with the Marvel Method made guys like Ditko and Kirby more co-creators of characters than artists at other companies from that time.

Not arguing with you in any way as you're opinion of Lee is pretty much what mine is. Its never said what kind of royalty, if any, Stan Lee receives from the movie rights of characters he co-created all those years ago. I just hope that if he is receiving anything, that guys like Ditko and the Kirby estate are receiving royalties as well. Stan could've been like Bob Kane and give zero credit to the artists, but he does give credit to both Ditko and Kirby, albeit as secondary creators to his idea.