• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange Tales 28 Appreciation Thread

98 posts in this topic

It used to be my favorite horror book and is VERY difficult to find. I used to own the 5.5 copy, I'm the one who got it slabbed and I think it was the highest graded at the time. Very under-rated cover and I've always wondered why certain horror covers get so much love, and others like this one are forgotten.

What is your favorite horror book now?

That's the one! :) how cool is that that it wound up with you!

Yeah, pretty cool. Did I get it off you on e-bay? Or did you sell it to the guy I bought it from on e-bay?

Makes me think there are fewer around than I originally thought.

Most likely fewer! :) That particular copy, I got via a list from BigGuy'sComix in CA around 2002; and about a year and a half ago, got a better copy on eBay, so traded this copy and a Vault of Horror #27 I didn't need anymore, for a Journey Into Unknown Worlds with Ted at Superworld. :) If you then bought it from Ted, then that's the rest of the story, or, he may have traded/sold it to the person you bought it from. :)

Anyway, it's made its way from CA to Chicago to Boston and now back, at least in the last decade of its life! A well-loved and well-traveled copy. :)

I assume it is coming back a 1.5, but wanted to preserve it regardless.

Comics can be reliably preserved by storing them in a mylar sleeve with an acid-free full-back. :gossip:

Comics can be reliably preserved by storing them in a mylar sleeve with an acid-free full-back. :gossip:

True! But then I think a row of ST #28 in slabs aligned side-by-side would be pretty neat too. :) I think 1.5 sounds right for that one, despite the cover wear, it's a solid and supple-paged book!

No doubt and if it hadn't been my favorite book/cover - I probably wouldn't haven't sent it to be slabbed. Was a combination of things not just preservation.

Johnny

Looks good in the slab, Johnny! Don't know if you'll ever come across it, but the other copy I used to own (and returned) had scotch tape on the entire interior spine, with the staples removed and replaced through the tape. Was pretty solid-appearing VG-ish shape, otherwise. :)