• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st Canada's Wolverine statue - now Robocop for real

24 posts in this topic

Robocop Detroit Statue Facebook

Although there hasn't been any new updates about this statue that has gone into legal fights over placement, they at least posted something new.

GO COMEDY! PRESENTS ROBOCOP! THE MUSICAL AT THE CITY THEATRE, FEBRUARY 19-MARCH 1

---------------------

Go Comedy! Improv Theater presents one of its most successful shows, ROBOCOP! The Musical at the City Theatre from Thursday, February 19 through Sunday, March 1.

ROBOCOP! The Musical first debuted at Go Comedy! in June of 2010 when it was titled RoGoCop! The Musical. Following the show's initial engagement, Go Comedy! began planning for the show's return, improving on the original production. In order to do that, Go Comedy! joined forces with the non-profit GrooveBox Studios to launch a fundraiser campaign on Kickstarter.com. Seeking to raise $5,000, the 3-week online campaign successfully raised more than $6,000 from over 100 donors.

ROBOCOP! The Musical is a live, musical parody of the iconic film, RoboCop and an original production with book by Sean May (Eastpointe) and music by May and Ryan Parmenter (Plymouth). ROBOCOP! The Musical is a fun, hilarious, re-imagining of the tale of a robotic police officer who protects a futuristic Detroit from crime. Featuring such songs as "Armchair Nightmare," "I Don't Know (How To Love A Robot)" and "It's Not Easy Being Gay When You're a Gangster”.

---------------------

Robocop_spot.jpg

Poor Robocop. No respect.

(:

Looks like the Robocop statue in Detroit is still a go. But will it beat Captain America to the finish line after all this time?

A giant RoboCop statue will tower over Detroit thanks to a 5-year-old Kickstarter campaign

Five years and 12 days ago I made a heartfelt charitable donation: I gave $1.01 to a Kickstarter campaign to build a giant statue of RoboCop in Detroit.

I'd never been to Detroit (still haven't), nor had I actually seen RoboCop (that hasn't changed either). But my 18-year-old self thought it would be a good investment anyway. It seemed like God's work.

A Sunday email from the RoboCop statue team revealed a completed bronze head and other exciting bits and pieces.

"Here are the latest pictures we've received from Venus Bronze Works showing the fully cast bronze head and some other Robo features. We're excited to see the progress and have been told they're closing in on completion. Of course, we're in the same position you are, waiting for the work to be done. The good news is production clearly continues. We'll keep you updated when we get another update from Venus."

and-heres-another-one-from-the-side.jpg

And even more recent.

DAILY DETROIT: New Photos And An Update On The Progress Of That Giant RoboCop Statue (May-2016)

Like the rest of you, I’ve been eagerly awaiting the latest Robo news, and through a serious of fortunate events, I found myself face to face with Robocop’s large bronze visage on my very first trip to Detroit.

The last time Team Robo checked in, the molds had been prepared and were at Venus Bronze Works in the capable hands of artisan Giorgio Gikas, who is in the final stages of crafting many dollars’ worth of bronze bricks into a RoboCop that will weight 2500 pounds and stand 10 feet tall—13 once on his pedestal.

Touring the studio helped me understand just how large of an undertaking building the statue has been. Giorgio put in a furnace solely to melt the statue’s bronze, which is then poured by hand into each form. And after a tremendous amount of work—pro-bono, no less—almost every section of RoboCop has been cast, ready to be assembled.

0a94844b2d4c89e9b6cc28747f8ce6a3_original.jpeg

0e34a11ccb0ab7786c9d6b6f1e01265c_original.jpeg

0a1528a96c283183ffec845a7c4e03fc_original.jpeg