• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hypothetical question on cornering the market

82 posts in this topic

I've thought about "cornering the market" (i.e., investing in 50-100 copies) on books like:

Brave & Bold 34 (1st SA Hawkman, classic Kubert cover, easy to find, but still key w/ potential)

Brave & Bold 54 (1st Teen Titans, fun cover)

and even Tick Special Edition # 2 (3,000 copies, I have four of the 55 slabs -- I reckon I'd only need 20 slabs to have a legit market-moving hoard.)

It can be done profitably, but it's more a matter of market timing. Best case I saw was an add in Overstreet's back in 1990-1991 with a dealer looking for NM/M copies of Peter Parker # 1. Guide at the time was $10 and he was offering $14 per copy or $1,500 per hundred.

Granted, at the time everyone thought it would follow Iron Man # 1's trajectory as the highest-numbered Marvel series still being produced. And it worked. Three years later the book was selling for $35. Four years later it was going as high as $45-$50.

I also saw it happen with Marvel Spotlight # 2 back in 1998, where I lost out on 20+ consecutive auctions for the book. Somebody was buying every copy that came up for sale, regardless of the price.

On other books, it can be foolhardy. Lois Lane 70's a good example. Prices on this are volatile, with Fine copies available for $30-$50, and CGC 9.6s having fallen 40% over the last three years as supply has more than doubled. Still a good book? Yeah--I love it. But that it's as common as it is in Mid-Grade, as a 1966 Lois Lane comic, speaks of just how common actual popular books like Amazing Spider-Man are by comparison.