• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Cameo

52 posts in this topic

I am of the mind set that a 1st appearance is a 1st Appearance.So in my opinion the Hulk 180-181 analogy Hulk 180 would be my choice for the 1st app.,but with that said.I would own both 1st app. and 1st full app.

Hulk 180

Full figure Wolverine image, dialogue, seen to be interacting with The Hulk and Wendigo - a proper first appearance rather than a minor cameo. Deserves more respect.

Exactly.

However, I do treat any CGC "cameo" as an other appearance if if I'm doing a chronological run of a character's appearances in books.

For example I consider DD's cameo in JIM #116 DD's 10th appearance in comics.

Therefore when I decided to do a DD 1-10 in 9.4s ow/w or better run, that book was on my list from day one to find in that grade and PQ to be the last book in that run.

Cameo, appearance or full appearance - its the 10th time he was drawn in a comic as I view it.

To each their own though.

For example I consider DD's cameo in JIM #116 DD's 10th appearance in comics.

Therefore when I decided to complete a DD 1-10 in 9.4s ow/w or better run, that book was on my list from day one to find in that grade and PQ to be the last book in that run.

Cameo, appearance or full appearance - its the 10th time he was drawn in a comic as I view it.

To each their own though.

I like your collecting style.

:cloud9:

A brand new, unknown character cannot make a cameo. A cameo is a when a known person or character appears in a situation that would not normally be expected. Like Mickey Mantle showing up on Bewitched. Or Bruno Mars on Modern Family for the younger crew.

+1

A cameo is when a character makes a brief appearance in a book that is not considered their main title. Spiderman could never have a cameo in his own Amazing Spider-Man run but can have cameos in Captain America or Avengers and so on.

If it's more than just a few panels the cameo becomes a cross-over.

As far as the Hulk 180/181, I think it's the whole first brief vs. first full appearance situation. But as always the market dictates what is considered the first more valuable book. 2c

So do you personally feel a cameo can be considered an "appearance" of a character?

Or is it less than that?

Totally agree with what you and Sean describe technically as a cameo, so I just want to know what you think with one as being an actual appearance or not.

Interestingly, I was looking through an older Overstreet and I noticed an add that had 180 priced at $7.50 and 181 at $1.25 or something like that, so I guess the market does shift over time. But sometimes it's just because someone gambled big on the wrong book. (shrug)

Heard the rumor that either Overstreet or an Overstreet advisor had more copies of 181 than 180, which caused the change in the guide. Any truth to that suspicion?

If a "cameo" is a full body shot, and the char voices/says something in text, then IMO, it should be considered his/hers 1st app period.. If its just a head shot, or a "coming next month" shot, then I would say its only a cameo followed by a full 1st app, the next issue he/she appears..

but then again, that my just be me ;)

Is there a school of thought something cannot be considered a cameo until a character is famous? Or is it that any appearance after their 1st appearance can only be considered a cameo? I agree with the former, though of course nobody cares about a cameo until a character becomes popular. Then a fan wants every appearance, cameos or otherwise.

An example would be the independent character Grimjack. He makes a cameo appearance in Warp #5, which is all of one panel where he sits in the back of a bar watching the other patrons. It wouldn't be realized until years later when Grimjack #75 was published that co-creator John Ostrander admitted it was Gimjack (John Gaunt). So this is a 1st cameo appearance before his 1st full appearance in Starslayer #10.

Nobody would care about Hulk 180, Amazing Spider-Man 299, or New Mutants 86 (when Cable was hot) if the full appearances didn't pay off. But once they do, those later-realized 1st cameos are still a brief appearance.

:whistle:

Gambit

I don't think that qualifies as a cameo. He appears in over 6 panels across the book. We had a thread about this in the Modern Age area, and how this and X-Men #266 were a production timing issue and not a cameo leading into a full appearance.

But still a great book to own as an X-Men and Gambit fan.

Wolverine = Hulk 180 - 1st appearance no question

Judge Dredd = 2000AD Prog 1 - large picture on his bike in an advert for Prog 2 - 1st appearance? Well yes...

But also appeared in pre-Prog 1 promo / dummy

Miracleman / Marvelman = very complex... particularly if you go into the fanzines...

:whistle:

Gambit

I don't think that qualifies as a cameo. He appears in over 6 panels across the book. We had a thread about this in the Modern Age area, and how this and X-Men #266 were a production timing issue and not a cameo leading into a full appearance.

But still a great book to own as an X-Men and Gambit fan.

:headbang:

-slym

Was The Maxx' fist appearance as a rabbit in whatever that book was?

hm

-slym

Primer 5 is a prototype pre-Maxx badass rabbit story. Darker Image is the first app.