• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Wolverine owes to the Summer of '75?

68 posts in this topic

As far as it taking so long for him to get his own series, in the early 80s the mini series was still a new concept. Contest of Champions in 1982 was (I believe) the first for Marvel and DC had done a couple before that. Until then, the only option was for characters to be given their own book instead of a mini type "tryout"

Actually, there was the Marvel Spotlight / Marvel Premiere / Marvel Feature style of book that was used through the early 70s to introduce solo adventures of existing characters as well as trial runs for new characters. By the late 70s those started being phased out in favor of starting all sorts of short-lived solo series and mini-series titles.

There were no mini-series until 1982.

Marvel Feature ended before Hulk 181, becoming Marvel Two in One- a book that featured The Thing co-starring with another hero every issue.

Off-hand, the only character can think of that was an established player that got an issue of either of those other two books were The Warriors Three. I certainly don't recall every character in every issue, but thats my overall memory. i'll look in Overstreet later, to see what I missed.

Were The Cat and Night Nurse ongoing series that closed up shop after four issues? They had the standard 4 issue Mini Series run. Again I wanted to know if they were ongoings that failed quick. :popcorn:

As far as it taking so long for him to get his own series, in the early 80s the mini series was still a new concept. Contest of Champions in 1982 was (I believe) the first for Marvel and DC had done a couple before that. Until then, the only option was for characters to be given their own book instead of a mini type "tryout"

Actually, there was the Marvel Spotlight / Marvel Premiere / Marvel Feature style of book that was used through the early 70s to introduce solo adventures of existing characters as well as trial runs for new characters. By the late 70s those started being phased out in favor of starting all sorts of short-lived solo series and mini-series titles.

Marvel Feature ended before Hulk 181, becoming Marvel Two in One- a book that featured The Thing co-starring with another hero every issue.

Off-hand, the only character can think of that was an established player that got an issue of either of those other two books were The Warriors Three. I certainly don't recall every character in every issue, but thats my overall memory. i'll look in Overstreet later, to see what I missed.

Were The Cat and Night Nurse ongoing series that closed up shop after four issues? They had the standard 4 issue Mini Series run. Again I wanted to know if they were ongoings that failed quick. :popcorn:

Yes, The Cat and Night Nurse were both huge flops.

But Night Nurse is still awesome. (thumbs u

The first issue of The Cat is pretty darn good too. A lot of promise. But man, that title went downhill faster than just about any other title I can recall.

But Night Nurse is still awesome. (thumbs u

The first issue of The Cat is pretty darn good too. A lot of promise. But man, that title went downhill faster than just about any other title I can recall.

I've never read Night Nurse, but I really like The Cat.

Yes, they got canceled. Sales were terrible and there was a huge paper shortage at the time.

It affected a lot of books.

Overstreet states that both Marvel Premier and Marvel Spotlight were try-out books for new characters.

Doctor Strange had an extended run in it, prior to getting his own book, that debuted over a year before

Hulk 181.

Not sure what this has to do with the timeframe being discussed. From the time Wolverine proved to be popular, lets say X-Men in the 110-120 range until he appeared in the first mini-series.

Overstreet states that both Marvel Premier and Marvel Spotlight were try-out books for new characters.

Doctor Strange had an extended run in it, prior to getting his own book, that debuted over a year before

Hulk 181.

Not sure what this has to do with the timeframe being discussed. From the time Wolverine proved to be popular, lets say X-Men in the 110-120 range until he appeared in the first mini-series.

Overstreet is wrong (shrug)

In that general time period Hercules, Satana, Liberty Legion (?), Solomon Kane, Weird World, Torpedo, Tigra, Paladin, Jack of Hearts, Man Wolf, Falcon, Black Panther, Wonder Man, Dominic Fortune & star Lord all appeared in Marvel Premiere.

Hulk 181.

Overstreet is wrong (shrug)

In that general time period Hercules, Satana, Liberty Legion (?), Solomon Kane, Weird World, Torpedo, Tigra, Paladin, Jack of Hearts, Man Wolf, Falcon, Black Panther, Wonder Man, Dominic Fortune & star Lord all appeared in Marvel Premiere.

Which of them was in an on-going series at the the time they appeared in M.P?

Hercules? No

Satana? No

Liberty Legion? No

Solomon Kane? No

Weird World? No

Torpedo? No

Tigra? No

Jack of Hearts ? No

Man Wolf? No, it'd been several years since his Spidey issues

Falcon? Not certain, but he wasn't in Captain America and rarely appeared in the Avengers.

Black Panther? No

Wonder Man? Think this was awhile after his regular Avenger app.

Dominic Fortune? No

Star Lord? No

Wolverine was in a regular series, hence no try out. Same reason why Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye,

Angel, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Nighthawk, Beast, or any other person who was a regular on a team or in an ongoing series didn't get a try out.

Wikipedia also states that Marvel Spotlight was a tryout book for new characters, and Marvel Premiere was a book for new characters, older characters no longer appearing in their own books, and in some cases, issues were used to resolve story lines from series that were dropped.

Does any of that sound like Wolverine would fit into either title?

As soon as there was a format that a Wolverine solo book fit into- mini-series, he got one. Its not insignificant that he was , at the very worst, tied for the first Mini Series Marvel published featuring any of its stars going solo.

Sorry, I was replying to your point that established characters were not being given tryouts in this type book. Obviously they were.

Not 100% sure, but I think the mini series came around when Jim Shooter took over & realized that #1 issues will always sell better than issue #42 in the Marvel Premiere run. As he cancelled Premiere & Spotlight & then started up the mini series.

Its funny how the thinking of comic editors evolved.

When DC reintroduced The Flash, they thought calling it issue 105 would sell better than putting out a new number 1. While Batman and Superman were always a part of the Justice League, they weren't shown on the earliest covers because DC was afraid of over-exposing them.

Thanks Darkowl- you bring up an interesting point concerning the fan mail which leads me to ask this question: Was there a great deal of fan mail asking for Wolverine to get his own series during the first few years of the new team?

I'd love to know if there's any documentary historical date demonstrating fan reaction to the X-men following the advent of the new team and whether Wolverine was singled out as a primary character that drove the team's new success.

For the most part, the only evidence would be the letters that were published, although they would tend to skew positive. Marvel didn't publish much hate mail.

The letter pages of the fan publications would be a better judge, but only a fraction of the ones recieved were published there too.

I'm sure there is video footage of Claremont and Byrnes appearances at the various cons.

This would definitely be the way to get some further historical insight into Wolverine's popularity during the early years of the new X-Men. It would be great to see some videos of Claremont and Byrne at the Cons.

For me--regardless of the internal politics, Wolverine didn't break-out until the Dark Phoenix saga. # 132 has him going through the sewers to infiltrate the Hellfire Club's mansion, and 133 has him nearly single-handedly ripping them to shreds (hence the title: "Wolverine, alone."

Was there any significant solo Wolverine feature prior to # 133 (1980)? I'd have to go back and re-read my run, but that's my memory. Or even solo guest appearance?

The Dark Phoenix saga is thus significant on a few levels--introduces Emma Frost, Dazzler and Kitty Pryde (# 130 is basically a Dazzler try-out issue, while # 143 is Kitty Pryde's), kills Jean Grey, and features a solo Wolverine.

It's also a chicken & the egg thing--did Claremont feature him because he was popular, or did he break out and become more popular after that issue?

Marvel Treasury Edition 26 has the first Wolverine adventure outside of the X-Men. Its a back up feature to the main book.

He is drinking in a bar with some girl when Hercules strolls in and tries to make time with her. A fight ensues and the two heroes end up arm in arm, drinking together and ditching the girl.

It's from 1980, and Marvel thought so much of it they assigned the artwork to Ken Langraf.

For me--regardless of the internal politics, Wolverine didn't break-out until the Dark Phoenix saga. # 132 has him going through the sewers to infiltrate the Hellfire Club's mansion, and 133 has him nearly single-handedly ripping them to shreds (hence the title: "Wolverine, alone."

Was there any significant solo Wolverine feature prior to # 133 (1980)? I'd have to go back and re-read my run, but that's my memory. Or even solo guest appearance?

The Dark Phoenix saga is thus significant on a few levels--introduces Emma Frost, Dazzler and Kitty Pryde (# 130 is basically a Dazzler try-out issue, while # 143 is Kitty Pryde's), kills Jean Grey, and features a solo Wolverine.

It's also a chicken & the egg thing--did Claremont feature him because he was popular, or did he break out and become more popular after that issue?

I think it's pretty obvious that Wolverine became a more featured character once Byrne took over.