• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it your prerogative to use pay pal family and friends?

37 posts in this topic

Do pay pal prohibit you from sending money via family and friends if it is for the purchase of goods/services?

Or is it ok to send it this way as long as you are willing to forego the buyer protection?

Thanks in advance guys

Sincerely

Jake

I believe it is a breach of their contract terms to use it to pay for purchases.

If that is the case, then you are guilty of theft of service.

No big deal in todays society where people speed, litter, and routinely break a dozen laws each day.

I suppose it comes down to what is your word worth to you.. You agreed to abide by their rules. Is it worth it to steal over a piddling fee?

I believe it is a breach of their contract terms to use it to pay for purchases.

If that is the case, then you are guilty of theft of service.

No big deal in todays society where people speed, litter, and routinely break a dozen laws each day.

I suppose it comes down to what is your word worth to you.. You agreed to abide by their rules. Is it worth it to steal over a piddling fee?

Do you know that for sure? I read the service agreement and could not find it.

It is implicit in my question that I intend to abide by the terms of the contract. What I am trying to figure out is if it actually is a term of the agreement and hence binding.

If that is the service agreement I am happy to abide by it but in the current case where I am being paid several instalments in the 4-6k range the service fee is not

piddling

. And as I trust the payer I am happy to waive the insurance if it waives the fee.

P.S it wouldn't be theft. It is a breach of contract which is civil, theft is criminal.

If the payment is being made towards goods being purchased, then a payment schedule (or installments) is one sure fire way to revoke buyer protection. The other noteworthy reminder here is that sending "gift" or "personal" payments can still technically be reversed, so the notion that buyer protection is lost when sending payment using this method isn't entirely true.

Recently, there have been changes where PayPal has started more uniformly adding a fee to all gift/personal payments. As a Canadian, I have always had to send payment using gift/personal for a fee, but most recently I am learning this has started to take effect in other parts of the world as well.

If the payment is being made towards goods being purchased, then a payment schedule (or installments) is one sure fire way to revoke buyer protection. The other noteworthy reminder here is that sending "gift" or "personal" payments can still technically be reversed, so the notion that buyer protection is lost when sending payment using this method isn't entirely true.

Recently, there have been changes where PayPal has started more uniformly adding a fee to all gift/personal payments. As a Canadian, I have always had to send payment using gift/personal for a fee, but most recently I am learning this has started to take effect in other parts of the world as well.

I haven't had to pay any fees when sending through personal/gift on Paypal.

Have you sent payment recently? The format/layout has completely changed. It instantly calculates fees based on payment amount and updates that little rose coloured square with the fee based on payment through your PayPal balance or CC or debit:

paypal_zpsd04516cc.jpg

Have you sent payment recently? The format/layout has completely changed. It instantly calculates fees based on payment amount and updates that little rose coloured square with the fee based on payment through your PayPal balance or CC or debit:

paypal_zpsd04516cc.jpg

It's been that way for a long time.

Personal is only "free" if you use Paypal balance funds.

If you bring in your credit card they are gonna wack ya.

Aren't we all friends here?

I think so.

Not when we're talking about the Walking Dead Bubble.

I don't give a damn about the WD bubble, what does that make me?

:D

That new layout just appeared a few weeks back for me when I tried sending payment. Prior to that, I always had to choose between a good/services or personal tab, which then gave me 4 options (gift, personal, etc.). I only knew whether I'd be hit with fees when I pressed continue, and it would break it down for me on the second page of the payment process. And even when I'd pay from my own balance (which was 90% of the times) I'd still get hit with fees.