• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You Can't Handle the Truth!

61 posts in this topic

Apparently Psy and racial stereotyping threads are too controversial.

There was nothing racist about that thread unless it went down hill after after page one when I saw it last.

Psy is a Asian so anyone who would have a chance to impersonate him would have to be Asian as well.

Well unless they get real good plastic surgery... hm

There was nothing racist about that thread unless it went down hill after after page one when I saw it last.

Psy is a Asian so anyone who would have a chance to impersonate him would have to be Asian as well.

Well unless they get real good plastic surgery... hm

1mucv.jpg

That not what I said. doh!

Obliviously 98-99% wouldn't be able to, just like with any other ethnic group.

You would need someone the right gender/age/body type/height/weight/Hair color/etc...

All this fuss...

The Year of Living Dangerously was a great film, with Linda Hunt playing Billy Kwan.

I don't believe Linda is Asian, and fairly certain she's not male, either.

It seemed to work.

She won an Oscar for Best Actress in a Supporting Role. (shrug)

lindahunt__zpsf14ab6dd.jpg

Well unless they get real good plastic surgery... hm [/quote http://news.sky.com/story/1094882/psy-imposter-crashes-cannes-vip-parties

You would need someone the right gender/age/body type/height/weight/Hair color/etc...

I know I'm asking for trouble, but what is meant by "Asian?" My understanding is that Asia is continent, including the Middle East, vast parts of the Russian Federate States and the sub-continent of India. However, it seems "Asian" only refers to people from a specific quadrant of the continent.

I know I'm asking for trouble, but what is meant by "Asian?" My understanding is that Asia is continent, including the Middle East, vast parts of the Russian Federate States and the sub-continent of India. However, it seems "Asian" only refers to people from a specific quadrant of the continent.

So is it now bad to refer to someone as American or European or African?

If they are from Mars then yes.

I don't think so. "American" seems to the be same as "Asian," in the sense that it usually refers to a very specific subset. I can easily imagine someone saying, "Oh, he's not American, he's Canadian." I haven't encountered it, but I'd expect a lot of people to distinguish between Sub-Saharan African and North African as well.

I'm only trying to find out if most people really mean the ethnicity or if anyone actually means the continent of someone's upbringing or lineage.

I don't think so. "American" seems to the be same as "Asian," in the sense that it usually refers to a very specific subset. I can easily imagine someone saying, "Oh, he's not American, he's Canadian." I haven't encountered it, but I'd expect a lot of people to distinguish between Sub-Saharan African and North African as well.

I'm only trying to find out if most people really mean the ethnicity or if anyone actually means the continent of someone's upbringing or lineage.

It's cultural and just a matter of upbringing and experience.

I have always used the term Oriental but was told a few years ago by a board member that the term is derogatory - I don't see how it is but I respect how they felt about it. I always considered the far East the orient and never in a negative sense - and I didn't include Eastern Russia in that part of the world or India.

I agree that Asia encompasses more than most people realize.

As far as the American/Canadian thing it also depends on the culture. Some lump us all together, others differentiate. It's usually when one culture has a bone to pick with another that the difference stands out.