• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do I Dare Crack?

7 posts in this topic

or the Battle of the "New" Mutants

I know what is going to happen. As sure as I am the sun will set and rise again. The lead I had has slowly been disappearing in the New Mutants 1983 set, the set that I feel is the only set that matters, well that and the copper age set which I can't even get close to the top three without some divinity from God stepping in. The New Mutants set was the set I wanted first and at first I knew I would be taking it away from some stranger from Florida. I did take it away from that person in Florida, but he stopped becoming a stranger and started to become my friend.

I retained, and still do, the coveted number one spot but as time has passed the lead I have had has dwindled into striking distance. A distance which will turn into a chase after he gets his books back. And the whole time I might be going "No No NO", I am also saying "Yes Yes Yes".

I have been watching his set grow, most recently with his amazingly spectacular beautiful specimen of a Marvel Graphic Novel I have ever seen. This coming Thursday Wizard World Philadelphia will begin. And I am thrilled that not only STan Lee will be there, but Bob Mcleod shall also have his presence noted. I have three more books I can get signed by him. Issue #3, #10, and #75 are in my collection in a 9.8 but I worry, are they 9.8's. Will they retain their grade. Yes of course I was just as nervous as having CGC crack my ASM #129, but these are my babies.

Of course if they retain their grade I will breathe easier but at the moment they sit a shelf away next to the books I am getting signed by Stan Lee for Ronnylama and Lee K. The money is money I don't have. Money I would have to work seriously hard for. Money I am currently saying thanks to my Mom and Dad. Of course I can dip into my savings but this is my hobby, not my life. To get these books graded I calculated will be $116. To earn that I would have to have a really good day at work. Then there is the Annual #4 that if they think will get a 9.8 after a pressing, then yes I am going for it.

I might lose the coveted number one spot to noneother than Bagofleas, but even though I am rooting for every New Mutants book he has sent in to come back will be the same 9.8 grade he sent in i know he is doing the same. I do realize I have graded more harshly on my books than CGC has, but I have been disappointed in the past too.

As I mention, maybe not by this next awards, but I will lose this spot, but I swear I will do so kicking and screaming, but in the end not a better man deserves it.

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

PS.....Do I crack or not?

13688.JPG

See more journals by Tnerb

I say, CRACK IT!!!

Go for the sig while they are still alive. Both yours and my sets are beautiful in their own way.

You have issues I am envious of and vice versa. I will always root you on and be glad for what you accomplish just as you do for me.

In regards to your pic on this journal. Check out my #9 if you havent already. Bob signed it right along Cannonball's trail. SO COOL!!!!!

Wow... firstly... I think it takes guts to mess with a 9.8 beauty as you have there. I don't think I would have the courage to crack it open.

But i definitely understand your reasons and desires to do so.

I think you have to do it... otherwise your inner voice will always nag you about not getting the signatures.

I hope you not only get the signatures but it comes back at equal grade or better!

Have fun at Wizard World next week... and tell us all about it!

SW3D

I'd go for it, T. Like Screenwriter says, if you DON'T do it, you're just going to end up regretting it and kicking yourself. Good luck! Let us know what happens!

X---

Speaking of nemesis you root for and at the same are driven to surpass...hey X, my friend! Good to see you on the journals! I am with you and SW3D...crack 'em. Of course it's easier to say when they're not your books, but at the same time if you have the courage to crack that ASM 129 then this should be a piece of cake.

sig.jpg