• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Theagenes's Golden Age Conan Comics

31 posts in this topic

I just post a groupshot in the cigar thread of a collection of rare Mexican Conan comics, the earliest of which date to 1952. The story behind these curious books and their discovery by American fandom is an interesting one. Many of these had never been seen in the states until just a few years ago. I thought I'd use this thread to post some of these books. But for those who are interested, here's an essay I wrote last year for REHupa and just revised for my blog.

Phenomenal collection, Jeff. :luhv:

What is the publication history of Robert Howard stories in Mexico?

Did he have any kind of fan base in that country or was the idea of choosing Conan for a series a rather random choice?

This is a wonderful example of how it sometimes can be difficult to grasp the significance of a find without background knowledge. Reading your blog made it clear why these books are so exciting. I am so glad they ended up with you so their story could be recorded more accurately.

I've been considering expanding my own collection of early Disney books to international editions as I know there is a very interesting story to be told about Disney's international expansion in the 1930s. But the prospect of locating such rare material from all over the world seems daunting and I am not sure I'd live long enough to complete the project in a meaningful way.

Thanks guys. Glad some people find these as interesting as I do.

BZ, that's a great question and you have me curious. I don't know what the publication history for Conan is in Mexico, but I would guest that there wasn't any at this point. The Conan stories had only just started being reprinted in the US with the Avon Fantasy Readers and the Gnomes. There are a couple of people that I'll see at HDs this week that might be able to shed some light on it.

The other features in Cuentos are also pulp or pulp-like characters. I mentioned the Mad Monk, but the first seven issues and some of the later ones featured Ku'unga, the Golden Goddess, basically a blond jungle girl, Sheena knock-off and later there was La Araña -- The Spider -- which was an unauthorized version of the pulp hero. So my guess is that whoever started Cuentos was a fan of US pulps and maybe GA comics and wanted to do his own version of the characters, but that's only a guess. I would love to know more.

I'll try to get a couple of more scans in tonight before I take off for Howard Days. conan.gif

BZ, that's a great question and you have me curious. I don't know what the publication history for Conan is in Mexico, but I would guest that there wasn't any at this point. The Conan stories had only just started being reprinted in the US with the Avon Fantasy Readers and the Gnomes. There are a couple of people that I'll see at HDs this week that might be able to shed some light on it.

The other features in Cuentos are also pulp or pulp-like characters. I mentioned the Mad Monk, but the first seven issues and some of the later ones featured Ku'unga, the Golden Goddess, basically a blond jungle girl, Sheena knock-off and later there was La Araña -- The Spider -- which was an unauthorized version of the pulp hero. So my guess is that whoever started Cuentos was a fan of US pulps and maybe GA comics and wanted to do his own version of the characters, but that's only a guess. I would love to know more.

I love a good mystery. :)

I think I'll start reading up on the history of Mexican comics. :idea:

This site looks like it'll be a good place to start: Link

And, this book looks interesting: Bad Language, Naked Ladies, and Other Threats to the Nation: A Political History of Comic Books in Mexico

I love a good mystery. :)

I think I'll start reading up on the history of Mexician comics. :idea:

This site looks like it'll be a good place to start: Link

And, this book looks interesting: Bad Language, Naked Ladies, and Other Threats to the Nation: A Political History of Comic Books in Mexico

Whoa, that book looks very interesting! hm