• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is a positive thread to make Comics General better.
3 3

3,896 posts in this topic

yep,comics are lifesavers.

Anyone here get subscriptions of Marve DC or CHARLTON in the sixties?Did Charlton do that?

Please,I would love to hear your tales!

Any age actually!

Was any member here around to have had one in the GA?

Atom age I am sure...sigh,I can only dream of having had a sub for Atlas

I had one for Uncanny X-Men in the early 80's. It came in the mail with a 4" paper sleeve slipped over the middle so the address sticker wasn't stuck to the book. That's it. Corners were shredded & bent, sometimes the book would get folded lengthwise in half, and when one of the first few issues (after I got the first) didn't show up and I told the subscription dep't at Marvel about it, I got two issues every month for the remainder of that subscription afterward.

Hilarious, really.

-slym

All the books would have brown wrappers and be folded in half,both Marvel and DC would do the same along with American Comics Group and Gold Key.Sometimes it was the only way to make sure you didn't miss a issue still have most of them and are in pretty good shape even with a fold down the middle and were only 10 cents or later after 1962 a big 12 cents a far cry from todays books short on pages and alittle more money than then.

Awesome!!!!

Slym,did one of the two get there in decent shape?

comicjack,that is so cool!No brown wrappers left I guess?

I remember a thread about 5 years ago,someone buying a mystery brown sub envelope,folded over,with a touch of yellow showing through a small tear.(1960's DC)

I wonder if the mystery was solved?Gonna drive me nuts!

So comicjack,besides the fold,they usually were in good shape then?

Wicked that you still have some! :banana:

Slym,do you have any of yours?

Please folks,share more,this is fantastic!!!

No brown wrappers left just lots of books with sub creases but in decent shape sort of took care of them who knew things would be loved so much in the future.I think all the companies had subscrptons most of my Charltons were brought off the racks that company had such bad paper back then so if you find one with white paper it surely is amazing.DC had some of the better paper unlike Marvel tends to cream wth age,this thread is a blast from the past. :)

Fun stuff eh?MORE SUBSCRIPTION STORIES GANG!

Charlton was such low quality I would be surprised if they could get it together to get a service going.I have siamese paged books,like four in one ish,some look cut with pinking shears,odd lenthes vertical and horizontal...I had an E Man 1 that was cut like a rhombus

traded it though,to bad,it was unbelievable .

I really loved hearing both your guys tales,hope more people get on board!