• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

E Gerber ordering

34 posts in this topic

I take advantage of this thread to ask for related advice:

Which option would you suggest to an italian customer to save on shipping for the backing boards? I have pretty much solved the problem of Mylite2 bags (awesome!) by buying them from a UK seller, but he does not stock boards.

Compared to the shipping cost for the bags, the backing boards look so expensive… and overseas shipping is pretty much out of the question… :(

write them an email and explain the situation.

Which option would you suggest to an italian customer to save on shipping for the backing boards? I have pretty much solved the problem of Mylite2 bags (awesome!) by buying them from a UK seller, but he does not stock boards.

Compared to the shipping cost for the bags, the backing boards look so expensive… and overseas shipping is pretty much out of the question… :(

I’m sure it woun’t be cost-effective to order directly in the US.

I was more asking for advice on where to purchase them in Europe… :)

Can Flaming_Telepath (Comicana Direct) help you maybe?

Can Flaming_Telepath (Comicana Direct) help you maybe?

Already asked Nick. He’s thinking to stock this material, but at the moment he does not. ;)

There is nothing they will do. Gerber only uses UPS and their international shipping cost is unconscionable. I ship supplies internationally all the time. However, most customers balk when I tell them it is going to cost $80 to ship $40 worth of boards (still far cheaper than Gerbers shipping charges). There simply is no way around the shipping cost for such heavy yet relatively inexpensive items.

I have had several international clients ditch boards entirely and just put 1-2 sheets of microchamber paper per book as the alkaline reserve. The microchamber paper provides more protection against comic book degradation than even the buffered throughout Gerber boards, since it neutralizes pollutants that standard alkaline buffering can not touch. However, the mcp provides no structural protection, since it is so lightweight. Most end up using cardboard separators every 5-6 books (outside the mylar bags) for their structural protection. You can fit about 500 microchamber sheets in a Priority Flat Rate Envelope or 2500 in a Large Flat Rate Box. For comparison the LRFB would only hold about 200-300 boards depending on the size you need.

I have ordered from both Gerber and Hotflips and both are top notch as far as I am concerned. If I am ordering high quantity, I go with Gerber for the discounts (and of course they carry the Gerber boxes which Hotflips does not).

Shipping for supplies blows, but what are you going to do? It isn't the seller's fault so you just have to pay.

There is currently an UK ebay seller that has some Full backs -

The item number is 251281672530 and the seller is xeo2k

Just to clear things up. We are not the manufacturer for EGerber. The manufacturer dictates the pricing, we can't. Despite being EGerbers biggest master distributor, we do not make a lot on their product. Instead it is sold to compliment our other products that we sell. We try to be a one stop shop for all your comic supply needs.

When you do place an order with us however, if it shows in stock on our website, you order ships out usually in 72 hours. Most of the time within 24 hours. You don't have to wait for us to make them and ship them out sometimes more than a month later.

Jeff

I like directly ordering from gerber. I'd prefer they had a website to order from, but never had a problem ordering over the phone and everything is quickly delivered.

I like the hot flips guys but since they are a re-seller I think they're more expensive than gerber.

Figured since I started the thread, I would let people know how it turned out in case they were curious or had never ordered from them.

On Friday, May 31 I had finally gotten to place my order after much frustration.

On Friday, June 7 my order was filled and shipped.

On Tuesday, June 11 I received my order.

I would probably order again from them. The prices are incredibly low from what I've seen. The idiosyncracies (no clear order process...an email address on the contact page that they don't answer most times and don't accept orders on, etc) are outweighed by the cost/quality of the bags and boards.

Just have to be sure to call the order in (don't bother emailing them order) and make sure the order is not time sensitive. That should solve all the problems.

I do wish they would join the 21st century and get a simple online order form. I grew up before the internet, but now it's just weird to have a website with your products but no order form.

I do wish they would join the 21st century and get a simple online order form. I grew up before the internet, but now it's just weird to have a website with your products but no order form.

Think of them as a wholesaler who actually do sell their products directly to the public, but they just don't put much effort into doing it. Want to get those cheap, wholesale prices? Unfortunately you have to deal with their ordering inefficiency. As you illustrated, the bother is fairly minimal. Companies like Hotflips similarly just deal with their idiosyncracies and also buy from E. Gerber and then re-sell them to the rest of us to the best of my knowledge.