• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS Valuations

29 posts in this topic

Just do what I do: Pay the asking price and deduct 40% to arrive at the true FMV.

SS books a lot of times don't have a true FMV. There are not enough transactions and they don't move enough times. Plus, in many cases, there are differences that keep books from being treated similarly, even though they are similar (sig placement, additional signatures, QP/PQ issues, in-slab damage) etc.

I agree SF but I do wish there was a way to aggregate sales info across books in GPA.

They list the signees in GPA.

I'd like to be able to search for Green Lantern SS Staton books to find comps if a particular book is unique.

Its not a perfect valuation, but its better than no info.

Yes my Green Lantern 158 Staton SS is one of a kind, so what sort of value do I put on it? Well if a same grade Staton SS GL#155 sold for $70 and a Staton SS of #167 sold for $50 I have an idea....

And if I could do that kind of search, rather than wading thru all the individual book listings, that would be great.

And while you say all CGC SS 9.8s arent created equal (sig placement, ink choice, size, etc) its better than NO information.

I agree SF but I do wish there was a way to aggregate sales info across books in GPA.

They list the signees in GPA.

I'd like to be able to search for Green Lantern SS Staton books to find comps if a particular book is unique.

Its not a perfect valuation, but its better than no info.

Yes my Green Lantern 158 Staton SS is one of a kind, so what sort of value do I put on it? Well if a same grade Staton SS GL#155 sold for $70 and a Staton SS of #167 sold for $50 I have an idea....

And if I could do that kind of search, rather than wading thru all the individual book listings, that would be great.

And while you say all CGC SS 9.8s arent created equal (sig placement, ink choice, size, etc) its better than NO information.

GPA is not as good as it is for blue labels because sooooo many transactions take place on here, and go unreported.

In a forced sale scenario, yellows will almost always underperform blues because of the smaller market.

GPA is not as good as it is for blue labels because sooooo many transactions take place on here, and go unreported.

In a forced sale scenario, yellows will almost always underperform blues because of the smaller market.

Oh yes I agree SF, I just think if GPA made it possible for us to search by signee it would be a little better for SS vs right now (where at best its mildly useful for tracking Stan Lee & Neal Adams sig values on big books)

So, in conclusion: There is no FMV for yellow labels unless there is.

You are being a smartass, but many times, it is true. That's why there isn't much of a flip mentality with SS. It is too loosy goosy. On good stuff people pay big premiums, on common stuff, it often goes cheaper than blue of the same grade.

I don't think the market has even gotten close to catching up to how much more expensive it is to do SS than it was two or three years ago. Plus a lot of people want the SS but are cheap as hell, so they wait and wait.

Oh yes I agree SF, I just think if GPA made it possible for us to search by signee it would be a little better for SS vs right now (where at best its mildly useful for tracking Stan Lee & Neal Adams sig values on big books)

SF? Sad Fan? No need to rub it in

So, in conclusion: There is no FMV for yellow labels unless there is.

You are being a smartass, but many times, it is true. That's why there isn't much of a flip mentality with SS. It is too loosy goosy. On good stuff people pay big premiums, on common stuff, it often goes cheaper than blue of the same grade.

I don't think the market has even gotten close to catching up to how much more expensive it is to do SS than it was two or three years ago. Plus a lot of people want the SS but are cheap as hell, so they wait and wait.

When I buy a yellow label I never buy with an idea that I'd be able to make money on it. If it happens then hooray but that's very rare. I've donated far too much money to the yellow label ether to continue on with that line of thinking. It seems the only way any kind of profit can be made is if one attains the sig him or herself and that sig is rare, highly sought after, and can be gotten with minimal cost.

SF? Sad Fan? No need to rub it in

lol