• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,270 posts in this topic

NICE pickup. frustrated.gif

Tommyfoxwood right? I got outbid on every book I tried to buy from him except for one. I will post it when I get home from work. I paid a bit too much probably, but it looks great.

I got outbid on alot of Tommyfoxwood auctions - though some just because I was looking to upgrade cheap. Still, I won two - looking forward to getting them yay.gif - it was a pleasure to be bidding on his stuff instead of against him.

Nice score Ghastly - a must have for any pre-code horror fan 893applaud-thumb.gif

I got outbid on alot of Tommyfoxwood auctions - though some just because I was looking to upgrade cheap. Still, I won two - looking forward to getting them yay.gif - it was a pleasure to be bidding on his stuff instead of against him.

Nice score Ghastly - a must have for any pre-code horror fan 893applaud-thumb.gif

Here is the one I managed to win, though like I said, it wasn't cheap.

Which two did you end up with?

terrifyingtales13.jpg

Got my Tommyfoxwood books in today also. Will post them tonight.

I saw I out-sniped you on one you wanted when I checked the bid history. shy.gifflowerred.gif

Nice TT # 13 BTW... thumbsup2.gif

The Ghostly Weird or the Terrifying Tales 11? mad.gif

I was watching that TT #13 October - but I saw it going for more than I was willing to pay - (though still a solid value).

Excellent choice - I may regret not chasing it. thumbsup2.gif

I picked up the Brenda Starr #14 and the Crimes by Women #3

The second was more of an impulse buy, the BS I had been wanting since I sold my old VG+ copy a few years back (for more than this one cost - so I don't regret it anymore).

I was watching that TT #13 October - but I saw it going for more than I was willing to pay - (though still a solid value).

Yeah, I normally wouldn't have paid that much for the 13, but I was mad that everything else went so high and that I got outbid on a few things, so I splurged. Emotional bidding is never a good thing, though now that I have the book in hand I don't regret the price at all.

Oh, and thanks for the info BLB. I've always enjoyed reading Ellison. When I had the chance to own his first published work (though minor) I jumped at it.

Harlan still buys comics from me - he is still filling in holes from the 1940s.

I remember when LB Cole used to come every year to the San Diego comicon from at least 1975 thru 1981 - every year - it was great chatting with him.

My first time i met him at his first SD Comicon in 1975 as he wandered thru the dealer's room at the El Cortez i proudly informed him i had some 400 comic book covers by him and thought i had them all, ot close to it, and asked him how many covers he had drawn.

LB Cole replied he had drawn some 1500 covers - got me very depressed as i thought i would never be able to chase them all down, so i sold off my collection.

later i learned he meant ALL his covers: comic books, PBs, digests, etc

so, i happily went back to collecting him again.

then the rest of fandom caught on.............

LB Cole replied he had drawn some 1500 covers - got me very depressed as i thought i would never be able to chase them all down, so i sold off my collection.

later i learned he meant ALL his covers: comic books, PBs, digests, etc

so, i happily went back to collecting him again.

then the rest of fandom caught on.............

Actually, that's been a little spot of contention over in the LB Cole thread. Thanks for clearing it up. I figured the 1500 figure included everything...

what is the URL for the LB Cole thread?

I got the straight scoop from LB Cole himself

- he was a huge comics fan - and i figure he only stopped coming to San Diego when his diabetes got too bad - he had a lot of fun matriculating at the comicon

- one of my regrets was not buying a cover repro commission from him back then

what is the URL for the LB Cole thread?

I got the straight scoop from LB Cole himself

- he was a huge comics fan - and i figure he only stopped coming to San Diego when his diabetes got too bad - he had a lot of fun matriculating at the comicon

- one of my regrets was not buying a cover repro commission from him back then

It's currently the seventh thread from the top in this forum.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...e=0&fpart=1

This is a common misconception about the amount of comic work that he did. He certainly did covers in the hundreds, but I really don't think he did near a thousand of them. I think that his best covers would number around 50 or so. I'd be thrilled to have all of those 50 or so books. I'm working on it....

Anyone have a Captain Flight 11?

Got my Tommyfoxwood books in today also. Will post them tonight.

I saw I out-sniped you on one you wanted when I checked the bid history. shy.gifflowerred.gif

Nice TT # 13 BTW... thumbsup2.gif

The Ghostly Weird or the Terrifying Tales 11? mad.gif

It was the Ghostly Weird but I'll post that in the LB thread.

This book is a beauty, I'm a sucker for those green covers!

1373451-Spellbound%237.jpg

589a8d180cbf1_1373451-Spellbound7.jpg.417faad746c98c15ea54288c12e92d12.jpg

Excellent choice - I may regret not chasing it. thumbsup2.gif

I picked up the Brenda Starr #14 and the Crimes by Women #3

The second was more of an impulse buy, the BS I had been wanting since I sold my old VG+ copy a few years back (for more than this one cost - so I don't regret it anymore).

I was watching the Brenda Starr # 14 just to see what it would go for. I think you did ok on a tough book. Glad it went to a board member! thumbsup2.gif

Got this today. I wasnt supposed to buy any books with school starting but I couldnt resist.

-

TOTno15.jpg

Great book Ghastly! Nice to see it go to a board member, I was watching to see how high it would go and was a bit more than I'd like to spend at the moment. Still this book is on my list, love the expression on the girl's face almost as much as the explosion face! Again, nice pick-up! headbang.gif

I sent the TOT #15 back to Tommyfoxwood. After a thorough inspection I just didnt feel it was a VG/F. I would grade it more a VG/VG- just too much spine damage. I dont think Tommyfoxwood was trying to pull a fast one its just that vg-fine is tough to grade IMHO. Oh well I had it for 2 days 27_laughing.gif.

I don't blame you for sending it back - It looks short of a 5.0 based on the scan. For the price you paid - the grade should be solid. Based on the VG/F graded book I won from him, I would second that he wasn't pulling a fast one - even CGC can blow the grading on an individual book.

Another copy will come your way - it's not as if its rare - just in high demand.