• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,257 posts in this topic

Have to agree - phenomonally scarce and very underrated

ChillingTales1675.jpg

That is a beauty. Wow.

It's right below your Venus 19 on the jealously scale.

Yep - great colours. I imagine there aren't many better copies out there...

As a matter of fact it came from the same collection, along with a few others. I phoned Jim Payette one day about 15 years ago and asked him if he had a Dark Mysteries #19. He said "Yes", so after a moment's heart failure I asked him about the grade. He said "looks about vfnm"

DarkMysteries1985.jpg

Slight pause on my end, then I asked him how much, and he said "$300".

So I asked him if he had any others and he told me he'd just picked up an OO horror collection in nice shape. He'd just at down to grade them when I rang. what did I need?

So I asked for another and he said yes

ChillingTales1675.jpg

and then again

Tormented180.jpg

Venus1975.jpg

JourneyintoFear650.jpg

I also took a Menace #4 which I've since sold. Of course I now wish I'd asked for them all!

That is a beauty. Wow.

I have a CGC 7.0 copy (2nd-highest graded last time I checked). I also have a raw 5.5 or so, to go with my run of Youthful Magazines horror titles. (Yeah I'm a hoarder.)

131457.jpg.5f4beb64e8d0c0af8faf061e3fce4564.jpg

131458.jpg.37b4286626c0069f726e90b5fd3fe74b.jpg

That is a beauty. Wow.

I have a CGC 7.0 copy (2nd-highest graded last time I checked). I also have a raw 5.5 or so, to go with my run of Youthful Magazines horror titles. (Yeah I'm a hoarder.)

I had no idea you were a PCH fan. Great books.

ChillingTales1675.jpg

That is a beauty. Wow.

As a matter of fact it came from the same collection, along with a few others. I phoned Jim Payette one day about 15 years ago and asked him if he had a Dark Mysteries #19. He said "Yes", so after a moment's heart failure I asked him about the grade. He said "looks about vfnm"

DarkMysteries1985.jpg

So I asked him if he had any others and he told me he'd just picked up an OO horror collection in nice shape. He'd just at down to grade them when I rang. what did I need?

ChillingTales1675.jpg

and then again

Tormented180.jpg

Venus1975.jpg

JourneyintoFear650.jpg

I also took a Menace #4 which I've since sold. Of course I now wish I'd asked for them all!

Any idea what else he had in that OO collection?

ChillingTales1675.jpg

That is a beauty. Wow.

DarkMysteries1985.jpg

ChillingTales1675.jpg

and then again

Tormented180.jpg

Venus1975.jpg

JourneyintoFear650.jpg

:taptaptap: ...........and we're not seeing the Venus 19 in your sales thread because....? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

[

:taptaptap: ...........and we're not seeing the Venus 19 in your sales thread because....? GOD BLESS....

Because I havent upgraded that one yet!

...... I doubt you will......that looks like a Payette 9.0 also. What a book to be proud of. GOD BLESS....

P.S. This is a tough question....but is there a similarly valued book that you would trade that one for.....hypothetically ?

Any idea what else he had in that OO collection?

Sorry, no - but they were all horror, bought off the newsstands and seemed to span many publishers as I recall. My impression was about 100 books, but it's only a very rough guess. We went through a lot of my wants list without success so it wasnt comprehensive by any stretch. The "CN" in pencil is the identifier - they do sometimes turn up. If you see one, I'd grab it, as they have great gloss and pq.

Edited by alanna

[

...... I doubt you will......that looks like a Payette 9.0 also. What a book to be proud of. GOD BLESS....

P.S. This is a tough question....but is there a similarly valued book that you would trade that one for.....hypothetically ?

It's not so much the value as it is a top ten book for me as part of my type set of 100 "best/most loved" covers, a labor of love I've been working on for many years. There is only one book missing from my top ten and I doubt I'd trade one for another. Best to leave the last one up to chance. It's also kinda hard to place a value on this issue - it's obviously scarcer than #17 and #18.

That is a beauty. Wow.

I think I remember that 7.0 coming up for auction and it is every bit as nice as mine.

[

It's not so much the value as it is a top ten book for me as part of my type set of 100 "best/most loved" covers, a labor of love I've been working on for many years. There is only one book missing from my top ten and I doubt I'd trade one for another. Best to leave the last one up to chance. It's also kinda hard to place a value on this issue - it's obviously scarcer than #17 and #18.

.....yeah, in that grade it really is a special book. GOD BLESS....

Alanna and I share a love for many similar books. Here are my Venus 19 and Dark Mysteries 19. I love them both, the Dark Mysteries has wonderful colors, they are bright, the reds are incredible the blacks are deep and dark and the gloss it has is fantastic.:

Venus19-1.jpg

DarkMysteries19.jpg

I am trying to find a Venus 18. I am looking for something in the 4.0-6.5 ish range. I got outbid on Ebay by Goldust for the CGC 6.5 a year or so ago. Anyone have one?

That is a beauty. Wow.

I had no idea you were a PCH fan. Great books.

Gracias (and to alanna too). I don't have much PCH but had to have this one. (Will probably never get ahold of a Venus horror comic.)

Alanna and I share a love for many similar books. Here are my Venus 19 and Dark Mysteries 19. I love them both, the Dark Mysteries has wonderful colors, they are bright, the reds are incredible the blacks are deep and dark and the gloss it has is fantastic.:

Venus19-1.jpg

:whatthe: the coloring's all wrong!!! lol

Venus19-1.jpg

DarkMysteries19.jpg

I am trying to find a Venus 18. I am looking for something in the 4.0-6.5 ish range. I got outbid on Ebay by Goldust for the CGC 6.5 a year or so ago. Anyone have one?

That's cause I didn't man up and buy an 8.0 copy that was in the marketplace a year or so earlier. Which went for less, as I recall. Anyway, :sorry:

Did I sell you that Venus 19?

Venus19-1.jpg

DarkMysteries19.jpg

That's cause I didn't man up and buy an 8.0 copy that was in the marketplace a year or so earlier. Which went for less, as I recall. Anyway, :sorry:

Did I sell you that Venus 19?

Yes you did.

I am happy with it, and yes Speedy the registration of the printing is indeed off. It is still a great book.