• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,262 posts in this topic

I can't dispute that you should go with covers that resonate for you. Unless you are a determined completionist, there are a number of PCH covers that are really just "meh", and which I would actually prefer not to buy in high grade, given the exorbitant price tag that would go with it. Fortuntately, there are a fair number of "great" covers that aren't denoted as "classic", but I am happy to get in any given grade, if they present well. I would point out Mystic #21 as a good example of this; classic Everett. :)

These are all great points, but there is one aspect that hasn't been touched on. There are many great covers out there that don't come up for sale very often. Some of these precode books don't have tons of file copies in high grades. It's not were, if one comes up and the price is a little high, you can just wait for another one to come up for a better price. You have to consider how scarce the book is in that grade. If you miss out on a 7.5 or 8.0, you may not see another come up for years.

Edited by vaultkeeper

If a cover resonates with you it is always worth buying in high grade, whether others call it classic or not. The "classic cover" designation is pretty arbitrary anyway. The books with covers that are the most recognizable, reproduced, or available seem to get that designation. Yet there are many covers that are outstanding that don't get the hoopla until they get posted a few times. Then all of the sudden they are hot and "classic". So if you dig a book, buy it. Then post it here. If it is really cool everyone will ohh and ahhh. It will get added to many want lists. All the dealers will get requests. They will start looking and asking around for copies. Then one will appear in an auction and go for an exorbitant price.

Bingo! Instant Classic!

Agreed, except for the high grade bit. Buy the grade you like that doesn't break the bank, and enjoy your comic.

You should buy the book you like when it comes up in any grade for sometimes you will never see it offered again.I can attest to that from the past letting books go and never finding them again.

Not a new purchase, but it's been a couple years since I took this one out of the Mylar. My memory isn't what it used to be, and happily it's a little nicer than I had remembered. I just love this book.

133713.jpg.b67a61816d77125be5acb7514dd72ea8.jpg

Not a new purchase, but it's been a couple years since I took this one out of the Mylar. My memory isn't what it used to be, and happily it's a little nicer than I had remembered. I just love this book.

133713.jpg

Nice VGish copy, and an undervalued "classic" IMHO. Not cheap to find, but when compared to the Wolverton covers, or a book like WM #5 and MM #12, it starts to look pretty affordable.