• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,257 posts in this topic

Hmm. Unfortunately I think you're going to find yourself priced out of those issues, then, unless you luck onto someone who thinks the guide prices for them are accurate. They haven't gone for anything less than multiples of guide for many years now!

To get an idea of the current market, you could check completed eBay auctions, the Heritage archives, and ask around here what some folks paid for their copies. You could also try GPA, or ask someone who has a subscription.

I too have neither issue, but would think I'd need to save 700-1000 to get a copy of either in something like VG, VG+ or VG/F (which would be "high grade" for these and in my precode grade range wheelhouse.) Perhaps a bit less for an eye-appealing G or G/VG, but not by much.

The prices are what they are -- I wish you luck in your search! Would also be interested in hearing if I'm off-base in my pricing perceptions for these. :)

I guess you are right, I just checked and saw that I paid $700 for my mister mystery 7 which is a graded 4.5. That comes to over 2 times guide. Well, one never knows, with a lot of patience and a bit of luck......

Thanks for your input!!

Indeed, I didn't mean to make it sound like an impossible task! Though the books are both very much in demand, they are out there -- and you may even be able to work a favorable deal when you do come across them. :) Also, be sure to keep an eye on the BST boards here, as every so often, someone will offer one up! Good luck! I'll hopefully own copies eventually too, just need to save for them. :)

Hmm. Unfortunately I think you're going to find yourself priced out of those issues, then, unless you luck onto someone who thinks the guide prices for them are accurate. They haven't gone for anything less than multiples of guide for many years now!

To get an idea of the current market, you could check completed eBay auctions, the Heritage archives, and ask around here what some folks paid for their copies. You could also try GPA, or ask someone who has a subscription.

I too have neither issue, but would think I'd need to save 700-1000 to get a copy of either in something like VG, VG+ or VG/F (which would be "high grade" for these and in my precode grade range wheelhouse.) Perhaps a bit less for an eye-appealing G or G/VG, but not by much.

The prices are what they are -- I wish you luck in your search! Would also be interested in hearing if I'm off-base in my pricing perceptions for these. :)

I guess you are right, I just checked and saw that I paid $700 for my mister mystery 7 which is a graded 4.5. That comes to over 2 times guide. Well, one never knows, with a lot of patience and a bit of luck......

Thanks for your input!!

Indeed, I didn't mean to make it sound like an impossible task! Though the books are both very much in demand, they are out there -- and you may even be able to work a favorable deal when you do come across them. :) Also, be sure to keep an eye on the BST boards here, as every so often, someone will offer one up! Good luck! I'll hopefully own copies eventually too, just need to save for them. :)

Thanks! the thing with saving enough cash to buy a specific book is that one always finds some other book or page to buy.....

Edited by gojira

Thanks for your input!!

Thanks! the thing with saving enough cash to buy a specific book is that one always fings some other book or page to buy.....

I know exactly what you mean. :)

Yes the colors are great, but the book is a mess apart from that
Unless you are Mr.Illmannered you may find that many of (especially myself) do not mind the lower grade books. Being as you better come hefty at bid time if you want the HG stuff. Because the "guide" will steer you wrong. I love the pre-code horror and also the well read nature of the books. It shows people really enjoyed them....

Like Ed Gein :insane:

Yes the colors are great, but the book is a mess apart from that
Unless you are Mr.Illmannered you may find that many of (especially myself) do not mind the lower grade books. Being as you better come hefty at bid time if you want the HG stuff. Because the "guide" will steer you wrong. I love the pre-code horror and also the well read nature of the books. It shows people really enjoyed them....

Like Ed Gein :insane:

Keep calm, I understand what you mean. It's just that I would have favored a

slightly higher grade. I do not mind lower grades at all, it just depends on the

book.

Weird Mysteries 4 and 5 are definitely "throw the guide away" books. 4 in particular is very hard to find and goes for big bucks when it turns up in any condition.

.... 1500 + for either in 5.0 is normal...... and probably should be....comics don't get much cooler.......GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Weird Mysteries 4 and 5 are definitely "throw the guide away" books. 4 in particular is very hard to find and goes for big bucks when it turns up in any condition.

.... 1500 + for either in 5.0 is normal...... and probably should be....comics don't get much cooler.......GOD BLESS...

I much prefer the no# 5. There is horrendously miswrapped 4 in the CC june auction. It will be interesting to see what it goes for.

I much prefer the no# 5. There is horrendously miswrapped 4 in the CC june auction. It will be interesting to see what it goes for.

I just took a look at the 4 on CC and you're right, the miswrap is really bad!

I just took a look at the 4 on CC and you're right, the miswrap is really bad!

agreed, one of the worst miswraps I have seen

Here's my Mister Mystery 7

MisterMystery7_zpsd7122d52.jpg

Nice copy. (thumbs u

I'll chime in and say I agree! Sharp. My copy is a G/VG. :)

Thanks!

Now I'd like to get my hands on the 14 Wolverton books that are still on my want list!