• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ditko drawing new Dr. Strange and Spider-Man stories! Details on the OCAL!

60 posts in this topic

Why did Ditko take assignment work from Marvel in the late 80's like Speedball and Machine Man if he wasn't willing to conform to editorial expectations? Or is he just over it at this point?

GB

Great point Glen, it's hard to imagine he'd take work for hire jobs like those and indiana jones but be unwilling to let marvel buy work he's already done.

Why did Ditko take assignment work from Marvel in the late 80's like Speedball and Machine Man if he wasn't willing to conform to editorial expectations? Or is he just over it at this point?

GB

Jim Shooter bent over backwards to make sure he was welcome AND find him projects that were acceptable. He followed Jim to Valiant & DEFIANT also. Steve seems to like working with people who show respect for his values (or right to have them). To answer your question... I think he's just over it.

DG

GB

Great point Glen, it's hard to imagine he'd take work for hire jobs like those and indiana jones but be unwilling to let marvel buy work he's already done.

I think the mistake in your logic is that you used the word "buy". I don't think anything about Steve is for sale. He offers a service and money is offered in return. It is a mutually beneficial negotiation and an agreed upon exchange. I think he feels betrayed with regards to Spider-Man and Dr. Strange, so I find it VERY unlikely he'll ever negotiate or make an exchange regarding those characters. It has more to do with the principle and very little to do with money.

DG

GB

I think the mistake in your logic is that you used the word "buy". I don't think anything about Steve is for sale. He offers a service and money is offered in return. It is a mutually beneficial negotiation and an agreed upon exchange. I think he feels betrayed with regards to Spider-Man and Dr. Strange, so I find it VERY unlikely he'll ever negotiate or make an exchange regarding those characters. It has more to do with the principle and very little to do with money.

DG

lol that's awesome!

GB

I think he feels betrayed with regards to Spider-Man and Dr. Strange, so I find it VERY unlikely he'll ever negotiate or make an exchange regarding those characters. It has more to do with the principle and very little to do with money.

DG

Ditko drew a story for a spectacular spiderman annual number 10 written by david michelnie in the 1990's.

GB

I think he feels betrayed with regards to Spider-Man and Dr. Strange, so I find it VERY unlikely he'll ever negotiate or make an exchange regarding those characters. It has more to do with the principle and very little to do with money.

DG

Ditko drew a story for a spectacular spiderman annual number 10 written by david michelnie in the 1990's.

Was it a Spider-Man story? or a back-up with another character?

He's not credited..

http://marvel.wikia.com/The_Spectacular_Spider-Man_Annual_Vol_1_10

He collaborated with Erik Larsen in Marvel Comics Presents. I think he's just over it.

DG

Jim Shooter bent over backwards to make sure he was welcome AND find him projects that were acceptable. He followed Jim to Valiant & DEFIANT also. Steve seems to like working with people who show respect for his values (or right to have them). To answer your question... I think he's just over it.

DG

Honestly, Doug, I don’t think the Marvel management, or direction, or whoever actually decides these days, is interested in any kind of value, let alone to put out effectively artistic output. In the 1970s there was no problem, and also under the Comics Code, to deal artistically with important themes et al. (I still recall the brilliant responses of Steve Gerber to satanists or people worryin about the moral outcome in the pages of Son of Satan).

The problem is double edged: Marvel censors genuine attempt to meaningful stories, and a large portion of writers is either uncaring about the characters and the Marvel age inspiration or lacks the proper background to write truly good stories. Or both… :(

Pretty sure Starlin is doing something for Marvel (per his facebook iirc)

He's currently writing Stormwatch for DC.

He's continued to state that he'll never work for Marvel again, based upon how they've treated him.

Ah. I got my info from Jim's facebook- I saw a 5/12/13 link on Jim's facebook to this:

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/05/12/jim-starlin-working-on-top-secret-marvel-comics-project/

Then on 5/14/13 he made a comment about working on something for Marvel (joked that it wasn't Speedball)

I don't follow him closely so it could all be rumors/clowning around though

It doesn't appear he's joking. (shrug)

Not even a year ago he was aggravated that some comic news source claimed he was working on a Marvel project and he made a point of saying he would never work for Marvel again.

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out....

GB

DG

Ditko drew a Speedball story for ASM Annual 22, a Solo (the character) for ASM Annual 24 and a Chance (the Character) for ASM Annual 25; and a Captain Universe story for WOS Annual 5 and 6.

I don't see anything for PPSS Annual...

GB

DG

Was it a Spider-Man story? or a back-up with another character?

He's not credited..

http://marvel.wikia.com/The_Spectacular_Spider-Man_Annual_Vol_1_10

He collaborated with Erik Larsen in Marvel Comics Presents. I think he's just over it.

DG

I may have the book wrong. i could have sworn it was a spiderman story, but it may have beena reprint.

Either way, I get the impression marvel is not interested in dealing with past creators. it's a shame because i'd love to see Stan lee and John romita make one more go at Spiderman or Ditko, Sinnott, Ayers, Steranko and so fourth. it's very sad to be at a time where we have 60 plus years of superstar creatives that could be accessed to give range, depth and history to these companies, but that'll never happen.

It made me wonder, what if Steve Ditko is actual at home continuing to draw his own Amazing Spider-Man stories to this day? What if there are a run of stories in his studio that continue the Spider-Man saga they way Ditko would have wanted the book to go?

That's a massive leap to make from a second-hand story that Ditko had some unseen Dr Strange pages "years ago" - would that be when he was still working at Marvel? In my opinion Ditko gave the kiss-off to commercial comics when he stopped inking his own work-for-hire art, after that it was a matter of taking Marvel and other companies' money for a minimum of effort. Nowadays he's not interested in their money and wouldn't give them any effort at all.

It made me wonder, what if Steve Ditko is actual at home continuing to draw his own Amazing Spider-Man stories to this day? What if there are a run of stories in his studio that continue the Spider-Man saga they way Ditko would have wanted the book to go?

That's a massive leap to make from a second-hand story that Ditko had some unseen Dr Strange pages "years ago" - would that be when he was still working at Marvel? In my opinion Ditko gave the kiss-off to commercial comics when he stopped inking his own work-for-hire art, after that it was a matter of taking Marvel and other companies' money for a minimum of effort. Nowadays he's not interested in their money and wouldn't give them any effort at all.

Did he stop inking his own work or did the publishers choose an inker that provides a more commercially viable style?

Shadowman #6 Page 16

006_pg16_Shadowman.png

I think some publishers added an embellisher to keep a semblance of a house style.

DG

It's not a leap at all. Actually, it's a wish fulfillment, what if, scenario. :)

Did he stop inking his own work or did the publishers choose an inker that provides a more commercially viable style?

I think some publishers added an embellisher to keep a semblance of a house style.

DG

Either way it was a bad move, steve is one of those artists, like Todd Mcfarlane or later Al Williamson where his inks were what made his drawing appealing.

According to Blake Bell's "Strange And Stranger" it was Ditko's choice not to ink anything that wasn't his own. Other inkers seem to have either finished the art in their own styles over his (very sparse) pencils, or else to have worked it up into imitation Ditko. Neither approach was a substitute for the real thing.

Well, I still think they'd find time for Ditko. Depending on the work, they might not publish it, but they'd take the meeting.

I agree. It is more bound that Ditko is uninterested rather than Marvel refusing to consider his work, and I also think this goes for various artists and writers which had unpleasant experiences.

You'd think being a comicbook legend would hold some water, but not really...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/05/jim-sterankos-ability-to-see-in-the-dark-breathe-fire-employ-x-ray-vision-and-do-without-sleep-why-you-need-to-be-following-him-on-twitter/

Well, I still think they'd find time for Ditko. Depending on the work, they might not publish it, but they'd take the meeting.

I agree. It is more bound that Ditko is uninterested rather than Marvel refusing to consider his work, and I also think this goes for various artists and writers which had unpleasant experiences.

You'd think being a comicbook legend would hold some water, but not really...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/05/jim-sterankos-ability-to-see-in-the-dark-breathe-fire-employ-x-ray-vision-and-do-without-sleep-why-you-need-to-be-following-him-on-twitter/

I think newer generations are intimidated by the legends coming back to tell them how to do it.

DG