• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What ebay feedback would you leave a seller in this situation?

42 posts in this topic

I purchased a page of original art from a seller on May 18th and immediately paid after the auction ended. On May 16th before the auction ended I asked him if he had any other pages by the artist. He said he did and sent me pictures of the pieces that he had. I said I was interested in one but wasn't sure if he wanted to sell but to keep me in mind if he ever did. He sent an email a few days later on May 20th and we ended up making a deal for the other and I paid for it on May 21st after he sent the paypal invoice. He had said if I wasn't interested in the piece he would ship the page from the auction on May 21st. Well that night on May 21st he ended up listing a rare book that I had been looking for for over 5 years. I hit the BIN and immediately paid for the auction like I always do.

To get to the heart of the matter it has been over 2 weeks and they still have not arrived. I sent him a message about them on June 5th asking if he had sent them and if so could he send me the tracking #. Well I didn't receive a response but he did update the status to shipped the night of June 6th.

Obviously the package/packages haven't arrived yet but I am pretty irritated with the incredibly slow shipping. What gets me the most would have to be that he responded quickly when I was inquiring about possibly purchasing other pieces but then will not respond when I ask the simple question of whether it has been shipped and if so what the tracking # is. I know he wouldn't like it if I had taken this long to send the payment so to me it just doesn't seem right. I understand sometimes things come up but it would be nice to have a little communication. I know he has been able to get to a computer because he has been re-listing old and adding new auctions.

My question to you is what feedback would you leave for him? I am really considering giving him a neutral which would be my first bad feedback given to anyone. I would just like some other opinions in the situation. Looking through feedback from others it would appear this is not the first time he has taken over 2 weeks to ship but the others haven't mentioned it in their feedback.

I purchased a page of original art from a seller on May 18th and immediately paid after the auction ended. On May 16th before the auction ended I asked him if he had any other pages by the artist. He said he did and sent me pictures of the pieces that he had. I said I was interested in one but wasn't sure if he wanted to sell but to keep me in mind if he ever did. He sent an email a few days later on May 20th and we ended up making a deal for the other and I paid for it on May 21st after he sent the paypal invoice. He had said if I wasn't interested in the piece he would ship the page from the auction on May 21st. Well that night on May 21st he ended up listing a rare book that I had been looking for for over 5 years. I hit the BIN and immediately paid for the auction like I always do.

To get to the heart of the matter it has been over 2 weeks and they still have not arrived. I sent him a message about them on June 5th asking if he had sent them and if so could he send me the tracking #. Well I didn't receive a response but he did update the status to shipped the night of June 6th.

Obviously the package/packages haven't arrived yet but I am pretty irritated with the incredibly slow shipping. What gets me the most would have to be that he responded quickly when I was inquiring about possibly purchasing other pieces but then will not respond when I ask the simple question of whether it has been shipped and if so what the tracking # is. I know he wouldn't like it if I had taken this long to send the payment so to me it just doesn't seem right. I understand sometimes things come up but it would be nice to have a little communication. I know he has been able to get to a computer because he has been re-listing old and adding new auctions.

My question to you is what feedback would you leave for him? I am really considering giving him a neutral which would be my first bad feedback given to anyone. I would just like some other opinions in the situation. Looking through feedback from others it would appear this is not the first time he has taken over 2 weeks to ship but the others haven't mentioned it in their feedback.

I would leave positive,with a hit on the shipping.

I can see what you mean but I would expect a little higher priority when you have spent over $500 with the seller. It just seems like it has taken much longer then it should take to arrive considering it is coming from Pennsylvania. I know I always try to get items shipped the next day but maybe I am an exception. I try to treat others how I would like to be treated and I know I would not want to wait over 2 weeks for my items to arrive.

If I leave positive when the time comes would you mention the fact that there is very little communication and slow shipping times? I think other buyers need to be warned as to what to expect.

So what do you think a seller would have to do to deserve a neutral? I thought this sounded like the time to deserve a neutral but maybe I am wrong.

I think I might ask why it took so long before I decide. If he does not answer, then I'd give him a positive with less stars in communication.

That is if you like the items when you get them and there are no other problems, I think you should wait till you look at them before deciding.

The few times I'm annoyed with a seller, I usually forgive them if I love the things I receive.

Thanks for the response, Sharon. I am definitely going to wait until the pieces hopefully show up before I leave feedback. After they arrive I'll ask him what took him so long to ship them but doubt I will get a response.

Thanks for the response, Sharon. I am definitely going to wait until the pieces hopefully show up before I leave feedback. After they arrive I'll ask him what took him so long to ship them but doubt I will get a response.

At least you will know, Kyle...he might have had some real family issues...then again, he might just be a turkey, but either way, you won't feel bad after.

Good luck, I hope it works out, you love the stuff...someone had a minor accident and he offers you a discount on something else:) :wishluck:

[font:Book Antiqua]Positive with 0 Stars on shipping and communication...[/font]

2c

+1 or just ask the guy what was up? Maybe he's had a few problems or something?

What was his location? Maybe he was around the Oklahoma area and has been busy with the tornado damage.

And what was the estimated shipping time on the auctions. They can be up to two weeks. Just make sure that he didn't list an extended shipping time and you were thinking he would ship right away.

Some people only ship once or twice a week.

The guy could be sick, on night shift or his post office is backed up.

Who knows.

Leaving a neg this early is a bit lame.

However, if he cannot supply a tracking number upon request - then my alarm bells would start to go off.

You did use paypal - right?

I get where you are coming from. As a seller on eBay I always ship within one day, as a buyer...I expect the same.

But that's just not how everyone operates. I've had to just not expect that from everybody. Life sometimes just gets in the way or people just don't hold it a priority like myself.

Is it so hard for a seller to just send a simple e-mail?

As for feedback, I'd leave positive if you are happy with the stuff and maybe ding him in the shipping time and communication rating.

If you are happy when the items arrive... let it slide. Its con season, vacation time and family summer days too.

No sense in losing a good contact... and at $500 sales like yours, he's sure to remember your business. :)

I find that if you mess up as a seller and ship late or something as long as you are communicative about it people are pretty cool. He is causing his own problem by clamming up and not just saying "not yet, sorry I will get it out asap and upgrade you to priority shipping to make up for the delay" or something to that effect.

If everything arrives in great shape he deserves a positive. Do what others here have suggested by giving no stars on shipping.

I would also make a comment along the lines of shipping was slow but otherwise a great transaction.

My DSRs are straight 5s across the board and have never been below 4.9 in any category. I blocked the two buyers in the last 7 years who gave me 1 or 2 star DSRs as well as another buyer who gave me a 3 in DSRs (this one was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person who was charged $8, the actual cost of Priority boxed shipping, yet still gave me 3 stars for shipping charges). All of those were either in the shipping cost or shipping time category. Blocking these buyers will continue to be my policy in the future regardless of how big a buyer they are, as they are simply not worth the risk of a repeat transaction.

The reason is: as a seller if I get more than 3 DSR ratings of one or two stars they will pull my Top Rated Seller discount. Additionally it affects how you are ranked in search which can be even more costly than losing the discount.

When I get a great deal on eBay, I don't do ANYTHING to mess up the relationship with the seller and bad DSRs will do it just as easily as negative or neutral feedback.

I used to get great deals on ebay all the time, the deals weren't any worse if they took 3 weeks to get to me. What is the issue with waiting a few weeks for something that you "had been looking for, for over 5 years"?