• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official "Man Of Steel" Thread

962 posts in this topic

I saw it tonight and really hated it. Yes, the fight scenes and effects were awesome. However they can't make up for the horrible story and incredibly bad character building. The whole Lois Lane story was total FAIL.

I won't post any spoilers for those who haven't seen it but for me...save your money.

Marvel has DC beat again. I really wanted this to blow me away.

:(

Broke a lot of box office records on the opening day so I guess you're in the minority.

He's not wrong in my experience. The only people I know who liked the movie are on this forum. It broke records because people have to see it to form an opinion.

For me, I felt dumber after watching it. The plot makes almost no sense from beginning to end. It was on par with G.I. Joe and Transformers; both of which are almost unwatchable.

lol

I think people or older fans are use to the fact that superman somehow doesn't allow any villain to destroy anything. That's like not possible in the real world lol. I mean if he fought doomsday lets say... Half the country would be wiped out. That's just reality. In the Golden age superman was is overtly ridiculously powerful that he just stops time and other things. That to me is almost beyond science fiction and superman then seems like a God? I like the new superman better. Classic will always be classic.

Superman did what Batman should have done to Joker a long time ago.

2c

I would expect Batman to do that when pushed, not Superman. Superman has a strong moral center, given by his earth parents. It is the relationship between having powers that make him a god on our planet versus having the strong influence of a proper upbringing that makes him interesting to the normal person. I guess Man of Steel is the Superman for the current day; those who play video games, and kill hundreds of bad guys by the second using 5 - 10 different guns. Nameless faceless villains who wear bandanas and masks.

You can put me in the "I agree with Waid" camp.

Have you read the original Superman Comics? In World Finest #6, Lois carries a gun and Superman pushes the villain into a live volcano,JUST one example.

Hi Sharon,

No I have read exactly zero Superman comics. None. What I have watched is every animated version of Superman from the animated series and the Justice League cartoons. I love those. I have also seen all the Superman movies. I have seen enough Superman products to formulate my own opinion of who I think he is and what he represents.

That said, my opinion is still that the awesome CGI of buildings collapsing and explosions takes me out of the experience, and I feel like I am watching a "Michael Bay" transformers type of movie. My analogy that I felt like I just watched someone else play a Superman video game is simply how I felt after watching it. It looked fantastic, but in the end I wanted more. If you want to see Superman fight stuff, and punch invulnerable guys through 5 buildings that collapse this film is definitely for you. 6 out of 10.

You should read some, Karl:)

But it's not just you...others should as well. The real Superman and the Cartoons have nothing to do with each other:) Neither have the other movies.

Same as with Batman and the TV show. I enjoyed it, but it was not Batman:)

He's not wrong in my experience. The only people I know who liked the movie are on this forum. It broke records because people have to see it to form an opinion.

Are you serious? There are plenty of folks that have posted positive reviews at other sites that raved over this movie. So they are all Collectors Society board members?

VIDEO - Anatomy of a Scene: ‘Man of Steel’ by Zack Snyder

In this video, Zack Snyder, the director of “Man of Steel,” narrates a scene from the film involving a battle between Superman (Henry Cavill) and Faora (Antje Traue), the sidekick of the film’s main villain, General Zod (Michael Shannon). He discusses how he used a sound stage in Vancouver to replicate (and destroy) an International House of Pancakes restaurant, and more.

I saw it tonight and really hated it. Yes, the fight scenes and effects were awesome. However they can't make up for the horrible story and incredibly bad character building. The whole Lois Lane story was total FAIL.

I won't post any spoilers for those who haven't seen it but for me...save your money.

Broke a lot of box office records on the opening day so I guess you're in the minority.

For me, I felt dumber after watching it. The plot makes almost no sense from beginning to end. It was on par with G.I. Joe and Transformers; both of which are almost unwatchable.

OK, *sigh* raise your hand or both hands, if you hated the movie and have never read an older Superman Comic...and have only watched him on Sat morning cartoons;)

(shrug)

I think people or older fans are use to the fact that superman somehow doesn't allow any villain to destroy anything. That's like not possible in the real world lol. I mean if he fought doomsday lets say... Half the country would be wiped out. That's just reality. In the Golden age superman was is overtly ridiculously powerful that he just stops time and other things. That to me is almost beyond science fiction and superman then seems like a God? I like the new superman better. Classic will always be classic.

2c

I would expect Batman to do that when pushed, not Superman. Superman has a strong moral center, given by his earth parents. It is the relationship between having powers that make him a god on our planet versus having the strong influence of a proper upbringing that makes him interesting to the normal person. I guess Man of Steel is the Superman for the current day; those who play video games, and kill hundreds of bad guys by the second using 5 - 10 different guns. Nameless faceless villains who wear bandanas and masks.

Have you read the original Superman Comics? In World Finest #6, Lois carries a gun and Superman pushes the villain into a live volcano,JUST one example.

Hi Sharon,

No I have read exactly zero Superman comics. None. What I have watched is every animated version of Superman from the animated series and the Justice League cartoons. I love those. I have also seen all the Superman movies. I have seen enough Superman products to formulate my own opinion of who I think he is and what he represents.

That said, my opinion is still that the awesome CGI of buildings collapsing and explosions takes me out of the experience, and I feel like I am watching a "Michael Bay" transformers type of movie. My analogy that I felt like I just watched someone else play a Superman video game is simply how I felt after watching it. It looked fantastic, but in the end I wanted more. If you want to see Superman fight stuff, and punch invulnerable guys through 5 buildings that collapse this film is definitely for you. 6 out of 10.

But it's not just you...others should as well. The real Superman and the Cartoons have nothing to do with each other:) Neither have the other movies.

Batman used to throw villains off of rooftops...in the 1940's. I can't believe you used World's Finest #5 as a relevant example. doh!

2c

Hi Sharon,

Batman used to throw villains off of rooftops...in the 1940's. I can't believe you used World's Finest #5 as a relevant example. doh!

I didn't, I used #6;)

You think Saturday morning cartoons are more relevant?

It doesn't matter, lol...I am not a movie critic, just a movie goer and I enjoyed the movie. I rarely worry about critics.

Read the comics, seen the cartoons and the movies: LOVE THEM ALL.

They're all Superman in his many different incarnations to me.

In fact even the Injustice: Gods Among Us Elseworlds version of Superman is yet another excellent version.....the entire storyline revolves around him killing the Joker for nuking Metropolis and orchestrating the murder of Lois & Superman's unborn child.

Superman goes ballistic and turns the whole world into one government with martial law imposed.

He's tired of letting the bad guys get away quite literally with murder when all it takes to rectify the situation is the 'Kali Ma Shakti de' move from IJ Temple of Doom to fix.

Sure everyone is horrified but then again the Joker won't be wreaking any more havoc on innocent people.

A bit drastic, but it's still Superman.....and you can see the trends have changed gradually over the years to alter the mindset of the character.....

Even with the Doomsday storyline....there's no way to neutralize Doomsday without killing him.

They showed that again in the Justice League Unlimited cartoon: The Justice Lords handle Doomsday essentially by having Superman fry his brain with heat vision......end of threat. Why go on endlessly and pummel these characters ultimately to just jail them and have them escape only to wreak destruction again and again? It's not a real solution and audiences are to savvy to accept such a preposterous alternative. It's sort of like the James Bond villains that have nothing better to do than lay out their entire plan for world domination while Bond is captured and prepared for some elaborate demise......only to have them leave at the last minute and have him escape to foil their plans......really? How many times does that have to happen to make it too incredible to believe?

This is the Man of Tomorrow....not afraid to make decisions for the greater good even if it tears him up inside to do so....that's the kind of Superman that has evolved in the 21st century. One that doesn't bargain with terrorists and madmen that can't be bargained with. One that doesn't attempt to redeem the irredeemable or make nice with world destroying monsters.

If possible I'm sure things would end like that, but when pushed to that level of solution it's good to see a realistic outcome. I'm fairly certain you're not going to see Superman breaking the necks of bank robbers and purse snatchers.

But if he needs to rip off Darkseid's ballsack and feed it to him I'm glad that the new Supes isn't a huge puss and can do the deed.

2c

Hi Sharon,

I didn't, I used #6;)

It doesn't matter, lol...I am not a movie critic, just a movie goer and I enjoyed the movie. I rarely worry about critics.

I've read Superman comics, probably not as many as you, but I have read them.

The Incredible Hulk is not "exactly" like the comics but they capture the correct tone of the character and they get enough right that I could enjoy it.

Same with Batman Begins and Iron Man.

2c

Hi Sharon,

I didn't, I used #6;)

The Incredible Hulk is not "exactly" like the comics but they capture the correct tone of the character and they get enough right that I could enjoy it.

I think the only two super hero movies, I really didn't like were Catwoman and Electra, I found some OK things in all the others.

Same with the way the writers keep changing the characters in the comics.

I have to say that it's kind of creepy that anyone can track anyone else's posts on this thing. Kind of turns me off to the whole forum as a whole. And yes, I just realized you can do that, like in the last few minutes. So, uh, yeah.

Yeah, so in essence you own what you said ;)

2c

Hi Sharon,

I didn't, I used #6;)

I think the only two super hero movies, I really didn't like were Catwoman and Electra, I found some OK things in all the others.

Same with the way the writers keep changing the characters in the comics.

I can find something to like even in comic book movies I hate, though I would rather it be the other way around.

I'd like to think that good characters can remain close to their essential core, even with the illusion of change ( not actual change ).

You need to get out more then.

The only people I know who didn't like this move was here in this forum.

The plot made perfect sense.

Comparing this to G I Joe and Transformers is just non-sense, come on dude.

Are you serious? There are plenty of folks that have posted positive reviews at other sites that raved over this movie. So they are all Collectors Society board members?

My sample is anecdotal to be sure..

But we took 57 people to see it on Friday afternoon; the entire studio. No one loved it. A handful (5-7) thought it was "okay". The rest didn't like it or outright laughed at its absurdity. And we're a game studio; not a bunch of old crufty fogies. Mostly 25-35 year olds...

*shrug*

But we took 57 people to see it on Friday afternoon; the entire studio. No one loved it. A handful (5-7) thought it was "okay". The rest didn't like it or outright laughed at its absurdity. And we're a game studio; not a bunch of old crufty fogies. Mostly 25-35 year olds...

*shrug*

That is a shame. How many have enjoyed comic book movies before?

But we took 57 people to see it on Friday afternoon; the entire studio. No one loved it. A handful (5-7) thought it was "okay". The rest didn't like it or laughed at its absurdity.

*shrug*

I call total BS on you.

All 57 people hated it. :eyeroll: Highly doubt it.

But we took 57 people to see it on Friday afternoon; the entire studio. No one loved it. A handful (5-7) thought it was "okay". The rest didn't like it or laughed at its absurdity.

*shrug*

I call total BS on you.

That's not what he said.

*shrug*

I call total BS on you.

That's not what he said.

I highly doubt 7 people liked, while 50 didn't.

*shrug*

Please print this and put it in your safe deposit box, or in your closet, or wherever you keep stuff;) , Open it when you are older than 40 and then again when you are older than 50;)

I don't mind that you have no respect for age, :makepoint:lol...but

I think you just insulted S.O.T., lol...;)