• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is Going On With Canada Post?!!!

40 posts in this topic

What is going on with the Canadian Postal System? One Canadian seller says he sent me a package on December 30 and it still hasn't arrived. A different Canadian seller says he sent me a package on December 31 and it still hasn't arrived. I sent a package to a Canadian buyer via the very pricey USPS Global Express Mail service on January 11, which the USPS confirms was delivered to the local Canadian post office on January 16, but the buyer doesn't have the package yet almost 2 weeks later and is breathing down my neck.

Has anyone else noticed a slowdown in delivery times? Is Customs backed up or something? Any ideas?

Gene

I haven't had a problem either. I'm in Toronto, and I just got a package from California in 2 days. And books I've been sending out have been arriving on schedule since the new year. It could depend on the area of Canada possibly.

I was kidding. Most of Canada I like, except for Vancouver. tongue.gif

Thanks Matt for the stirring endorsement. My next announcement will rock your miserable eBay bidding abilities! mad.gif

Canada Customs is stopping every parcel entering Vancouver, BC area for fed duties & provincial taxes. This takes about 5 days for paperwork then 2 more days to knock on your door. Since u are not home during the day b/c u are working, u must wait until the next day or 2 to pick up the parcel from the post office (who collects a pound of taxes).

Canada Post replaced their 'surface' (snail mail) parcel delivery with a service they call 'expedited', about the time frame you are talking about. They advertise 8-10 days, but it actually takes two weeks from Ontario to most of the US, except New York State which is virtually down the block. I have sent and received probably 40 in total books in the last month; and no buyer in the US, or myself has waited more than 2 weeks (the the majority much less). Express, which is the Canadian Equivalent of 'Priority' always takes 3-5 days, and believe me that's the way to go, and not much more expensive than 'expedited'.

Although I have not had any delays myself, another possible reason could be that packages going in and out of the US are undergoing particular scrutiny because of current events. That being said, you definitely should have received goods sent from almost anywhere in Canada posted on Dec 30th & 31st. There would be a tracking number for each, which I suggest you ask the sellers for. Once the normal (snail) parcel post was abolished (and that was before Dec 30th), the only way a parcel can be sent to the US now, and then is either expedited or XPress - Both of which have tracking numbers which the sellers must have if sent....

There is absolutely no shadow of a doubt that our (the Canadian) Postal System is not as efficient as the US (which is a vastly larger organization); however, in 1500 Ebay transactions, mostly involving CGC books (70 % I sold; 30% I bought) I have honestly never lost a parcel, nor have I not received one - Mind you most of the books were sent XPress or Priority (depending on country).