• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE SENTRY!

21 posts in this topic

So, the Sentry finally returns to the Marvel Earth 616... Look I will be honest, I freaking love the Sentry. He was a complex character with the power of a million exploding suns (now stated to be 1,000 in a recent interview w/ a Marvel guy on his return). I think Mr. Bendis could have done a MUCH better job in having the character remain active in the Marvel Universe in dealing with uber-threats or traveling the galaxy. He died because he wanted to, as he plainly stated. Thor would otherwise have not been able to do it in my opinion. Hyperion is stated to be stronger than Thor and Hulk by the new Avengers writers in a recent interview as well. So where does this leave Sentry? He is now a horseman of death (the use of the death seed brings too much potential confusion to get into right now), and it was a toss-up between him, and Ares. I just want to know what others think; The Sentry deserves a place in main continuity, but where? In closing I just hope others can appreciate what the Sentry is; A supremely powerful being with the ability to do nearly anything, except manage his own inner demons. Now with the Void gone (in theory), whats next beyond the all-out Thor vs. Sentry war (Damn I hope it is EPIC and not a one issue 4 panel fight...).

I don't know... I think that Ares will be left alone for a while. Plus I don't think that he could honestly. His son stated that gods never really die, and that it would only be a matter of time before he would find a way back.. However... Ares was a little underpowered, he is weaker than Hercules, who is a physical match for Thor, and Hulk would beat the daylights out of him. The world breaker Hulk was beaten to a standstill by Sentry. So if he has the same, or even a close power level, Ares would be a grease spot in about a second. Besides, Sentry freakin' ripped him in half vertically... I mean, jeez..

Yea, Hyperion will be all screwed up. I mean, there are a lot of inconsistencies in Marvel when it comes to their heavy hitters.

Well this is supposed to be a Hyperion from a different universe than others so maybe the power levels are different

It's funny cause, back in the early early 90's the whole Squadron got marooned on 616(Quasar 14 I think), and they sat there and did virtually nothing for what, 5 years or more, until the 3rd series of Avengers(#4 I think), and then 2 appearances in Avengers and the New World Order and then NOTHING, until Supreme Power(which is a totally different Squadron).

Shew, must be nice to just go to a brand new different dimension any time you want and grab a character without having to actually put any thought or work into a new character.

I was and still am a huge fan of the original Squadron, but I don't pick up books with Hyperion or any of the others anymore, because they just different dimension doo doo heads.

as far as measuring if Hype is as strong or stronger than Sentry, Hulk, Superman, etc., one of the different dimenstion Hype's battles with his doppleganger in Squadron Supreme did some major damage to everything around. It's easily conceivable that they will make Hype the strongest person in the Marvel Universe right now.

Oy, I miss the days when the Champion was the strongest, unless the Hulk got really mad.

Hyperion is the Marvel Universes Superman so I always assumed he was stronger than Thor.

Only thing I like about the Sentry is his habit of throwing a bad guy into the sun on occasion.

The original Sentry mini from Jenkins and Lee was great. Marvel should have left well enough alone, because the Bendis revival in New Avengers and everything that followed was pretty much terrible.

Everything about The Sentry is the lamest ret-con ever. Marvel had to lie about him being a "lost Stan Lee creation" just to drum up interest in him. The Sentry embodies everything wrong with Marvel comics, from their recycled ideas to their pathetic marketing department. This character should never be seen again...

It's funny cause, back in the early early 90's the whole Squadron got marooned on 616(Quasar 14 I think), and they sat there and did virtually nothing for what, 5 years or more, until the 3rd series of Avengers(#4 I think), and then 2 appearances in Avengers and the New World Order and then NOTHING, until Supreme Power(which is a totally different Squadron).

Shew, must be nice to just go to a brand new different dimension any time you want and grab a character without having to actually put any thought or work into a new character.

I was and still am a huge fan of the original Squadron, but I don't pick up books with Hyperion or any of the others anymore, because they just different dimension doo doo heads.

as far as measuring if Hype is as strong or stronger than Sentry, Hulk, Superman, etc., one of the different dimenstion Hype's battles with his doppleganger in Squadron Supreme did some major damage to everything around. It's easily conceivable that they will make Hype the strongest person in the Marvel Universe right now.

Oy, I miss the days when the Champion was the strongest, unless the Hulk got really mad.

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.... (shrug)

Chuck Austen did a quite different take on a different-dimensional Hyperion, who was no doubt the strongest, in Exiles 38-40.

Everything about The Sentry is the lamest ret-con ever. Marvel had to lie about him being a "lost Stan Lee creation" just to drum up interest in him. The Sentry embodies everything wrong with Marvel comics, from their recycled ideas to their pathetic marketing department. This character should never be seen again...

Don’t know about the Sentry, but I think we could get along quite well… :D

As far as Sentries go, I stick with the Kree one… ;)

Hyperion is the Marvel Universes Superman so I always assumed he was stronger than Thor.

Only thing I like about the Sentry is his habit of throwing a bad guy into the sun on occasion.

Thank You! :headbang:

I was beginning to wonder if anyone would remember and mention that or if I was living in a (yes, pun intended) alternate universe. Yes, he is for all intents and purposes Superman and the Squadron Supreme is the Justice League. That was the whole basis for Avengers #70 with the Grandmaster: Who would win in a battle between The Avengers and the JLA....Thor and Superman, Batman and Captain America, Green Lantern, The Flash. I think those were the 4 they used in the beginning.

And then when they introduced the first "alternate Earth" or "Counter Earth" in Avengers 141-149 the Avengers travelled to the "DC Universe" and faced the JLA who were under the influence of the Serpent Crown. At that point they also had their Wonder Woman ("Princess Power"), Aquaman, Hawkman, Green Arrow and a few others I think. Later when Mark Gruenwald (R.I.P) wrote his classic 12 issue mini-series he took it a step further and did the same thing with DC's villains for the SS to fight.

It's been stated several times that Hyperion is the strongest in the Marvel Universe. Our sun makes him nearly invulnerable. I can't remember what they call "Kryptonite" or how "Krypton" was destroyed though.....I remember reading that when they created Hype and the SS that they stopped just short enough on all the characters to avoid a Cease and Desist.

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.... (shrug)

lol

And then when they introduced the first "alternate Earth" or "Counter Earth" in Avengers 141-149 the Avengers travelled to the "DC Universe" and faced the JLA who were under the influence of the Serpent Crown. At that point they also had their Wonder Woman ("Princess Power"), Aquaman, Hawkman, Green Arrow and a few others I think. Later when Mark Gruenwald (R.I.P) wrote his classic 12 issue mini-series he took it a step further and did the same thing with DC's villains for the SS to fight.

It's been stated several times that Hyperion is the strongest in the Marvel Universe. Our sun makes him nearly invulnerable. I can't remember what they call "Kryptonite" or how "Krypton" was destroyed though.....I remember reading that when they created Hype and the SS that they stopped just short enough on all the characters to avoid a Cease and Desist.

You skipped Avengers 85-86 which is the first proper introduction of the Squadron Supreme as opposed to the Squadron Sinister, adding more wrinkles. I think Hyperions deal was not another planet in outer space, but a planet in the microverse. I'm sure wikipedia has the answer. :P