• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is a 9.0 OK?

29 posts in this topic

I know how you feel, 9.0's always make me a little crazy :insane:. I know there's absolutely no logical reason behind it, but if I bought a nice looking 8.5 or 9.2, I would be happy. But a 9.0, I'm always thinking "I should have waited for a better copy to present itself". That being said, while I appreciate a 9.8 as much as the next collector, I'm not a label chaser. And my 9.0 craziness only applies to nondescript issues. That's a really nice copy of DD #2, I would have been happy with the 8.0!

That pretty much sums it up. It's like being the middle child growing up.

I actually had an SS book grade 9.2 that I had cracked out and signed by another individual and re-subbed and came back 9.8 a year later. You never know what you are going to get....

That is amazing. What book was it?

Dude, you paid for an 8.0 and it came back a 9.0 after pressing and signature?!? How could you not be happy about that?? What a great looking book too.

As far as the need for higher grades...it all depends on the book. I have a Hulk 181 and GSX 1 in 8.0 that I am very happy with and don't care to invest in a higher graded copy, ever. On the other hand I had an Amazing Adventures 11 that came back 9.0 but decided I had to have a 9.6 instead so I traded up. The difference for me I think was all the "time between teams" books framed on my wall were 9.6 white pages and I really wanted to display this one so...can't have one oddball right? lol.

Congrats again on a GREAT looking book!

A part of the problem would be, do I want a higher grade, and if so, when do I stop. My Daredevil #1 signed by Stan Lee is a 4.0 Do I dare sell and buy another one. Do I stay with the 4 Do I keep it and just look for a higher grade. An 8 is a perfect grade for many Silver age key books but can I just stop? Will I have the desire to do better. Let's face it, one of my favorite books is only a 4.5 and I can't wait to show everyone what i had done to that.

I look for 9.0s for SA books. The price is stable, unlike super-high grade books they present well, often better than the grade.

Lee

Well said...and thank you. I have to keep that in mind.

I just asked a similar question in the "What's wrong with 9.6?" thread...

I asked if 8.0 was a decent grade for collectors. Can I jump onto this thread to get your guy's thoughts? I think 9.0 is awesome, but I meant for some of us that don't have a ton of $. Just picked up a DD #1 8.0 and I don't see myself being able to afford a much higher grade than that anytime soon.

I was looking to pick up an ASM #50 8.0 next... thoughts on EIGHT.0's?

:gossip: Sorry. I know the thread is 9.0, but just wanted somewhat of a comparison?

Is 9.0 = 9.8 Modern

8.0 = 9.6 Modern

(shrug)

It all comes down to personal preference. Generally speaking, 8.0 is highly sought after in the more expensive books...I've even seen them sell for more than a 9.0 for the same book (ASM 129 for instance). This makes no sense to me, but it is what it is. So it's tough to say this grade in SA equates to this grade in Modern. Most people have in mind what the lowest grade is they are willing to accept while others will take whatever they can get. Again, it all comes down to personal preference.

Sometimes I think it just has something to do with what is available. The last I checked a 3.5 SS and a 4.0 SS DD #1 goes for about the same price. I have even seen a few 9.6's go higher than a 9.8 just because of availability. Although I am a firm believer of a comic book is worth what you want to pay for it, there are some books I don't want to pay too high for.

Thanks guys for the advice/opinions! (thumbs u And thank you tnerb for starting the thread! Great question that I've been hm about for awhile now!

I love the journals and I love when they grow more than a simple statement. Thank you to everyone for adding their opinions. Now, it's time for me to realize that my DD #2 SS 9.0 is truly a great book. Now if I can just feel that way about my X-Men 100 SS 9.0