• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bolland Killing Joke Art

76 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Just managed to pick up a second page to The Killing Joke by Brian Bolland. This one is the origin sequence of the Joker, and needless to say I'm quite excited about getting it. Just don't ask what I had to pay!

Here's the link:

http://www.nighthawkcomics.com/art/kjjoker.jpg

And, if you want to see the other page I already had, you can go here:

http://www.nighthawkcomics.com/art/bolland-kj.jpg

Would never have EVER dreamed that I would someday have two of these pages, but I'm definitely NOT complaining.

Enjoy,

His black and white art is spectacular. Actually, the color makes it look worse. That's why we art collectors get hooked... it's amazing when you see this stuff in its original large-art state (11 X 17 inches) and in black and white.

And, maybe we'll meet up and you can see them in person someday. If you think they look good in the scans, then just wait till you seem them up close. Apparently, he took over two years to complete the art for this one book. And, of course, he has not done panel pages since.

Your collection continues to amaze me, Hari. Congrats on your recent addition. acclaim.gif

"The Killing Joke" had some of the nicest artwork ever (and my favorite Batman art). Bolland's work is gorgeous.

That's why we art collectors get hooked... it's amazing when you see this stuff in its original large-art state (11 X 17 inches) and in black and white.

So true. cloud9.gif

Yeah, I think the fact that he doesn't do pen and ink art anymore is a real travesty. There's no record of the finished product, or the work that goes into it. And, hence, no real art for us fans.

It always surprised me that an artist of his caliber and skill, who has been so successful at it, would switch to digital rendering. But, I guess he was always so slow and methodical with his pen and ink work that going digital made him quicker.

893whatthe.gifWOW 893whatthe.gif

I am now forced to hate you!!!.. 893frustrated.gif

Just kidding.. those are fan freakin tastic.

893applaud-thumb.gifCongrats.. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thought I would pop them up here.. for all to see..hope you dont mind..as they are beautiful.

bolland-kj.jpg

kjjoker.jpg

Thnx for sharing bro...

Ze-

No probs.. thumbsup2.gif

I am just mad.. I gave myself around an hour or so to read up on alot of past threads I have missed lately.

But I found myself looking at those 2 pages for over 1/2 an hour as I drank my coffee.

Each panel is really amazing... you are right..the B&W makes it all the better.

Do they make Gicklees(sp?) of this stuff?

Anyhow.. was a 1/2 hour well spent.. I love Batman.. and Art.. so.. cloud9.gif

Ze-

No probs.. thumbsup2.gif

I am just mad.. I gave myself around an hour or so to read up on alot of past threads I have missed lately.

But I found myself looking at those 2 pages for over 1/2 an hour as I drank my coffee.

Each panel is really amazing... you are right..the B&W makes it all the better.

Do they make Gicklees(sp?) of this stuff?

Anyhow.. was a 1/2 hour well spent.. I love Batman.. and Art.. so.. cloud9.gif

Ze-

no giclees that i know of but they do make some killer alex ross ones. one i really like is "knight over gotham" you can get a paper one if you are lucky since the canvas one is near impossible to find (very limited like 25 made i think). i have a "world's finest" giclee on paper and "Original Seven" on canvas which was limited to 100 (**see attached pic**). I love them. i know a guy in NY that has over 30 giclees many on canvas. his house is like a museum. thumbsup2.gif

597053-O7.jpg.560d87c0677b9c3e4093407e2138c3b1.jpg

Hi,

Yeah, I find myself looking at them over and over again too. There's something about that story that sums up both the Batman and the Joker, and does it so perfectly in a mere 46 pages... and the dialogue and images just get burned into your memory. There aren't many stories that have done that to me... maybe it's just a function of the time period I that I was mainly reading comics, but this particular issue (like DK and Watchmen, but even more so) just seems to be the pinnacle for me in terms of collecting art and comics.

If I could find more pages, I'd get them too... despite the prices.

There's something about that story that sums up both the Batman and the Joker, and does it so perfectly in a mere 46 pages... and the dialogue and images just get burned into your memory. There aren't many stories that have done that to me..

Short Answer: Alan Moore smile.gif