• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Displaying comics - UV protection

22 posts in this topic

I know that some professional framers (for art and photography) offer 99% UV protective glass. You can also ask for museum glass, which not only offers 99% UV protection but it also eliminates most of the glare.

I would also display it away from windows (especially with direct sunlight), and make sure it's on an interior wall to avoid temperature fluctuation. Also, do not display it in or near a bathroom.

Get a high res scan of the slab you want to display and print that out. Display the print out and store the slab. Best of both worlds

Thanks for the suggestions.

This is a pretty brilliant solution. I have a large format printer sitting right here that I never use. It's not quite as sexie as a slab, but if done right I bet it would be hard to tell from a distance.

It's even better than displaying an actual comic because you can't see a comic from across the room since they're so small; you have to walk within a few feet to even see the details. A print can be blown up though, so not only does it avoid sunlight on your comics, it presents better as well.

For people who prefer the real deal up on the wall, look at what museums do and either do that or compromise on some of their display techniques. Museums avoid both direct sunlight and ambient sunlight on paper and art, and they try to use a particular type of artificial light--I think low-wattage incandescent light is what they usually use. Memory is telling me fluorescent lights are the worst, but I haven't thought about this in a few years, so I'd check on that.

Fluorescent lights are the worst, incandescent is a close second and LED emit little to no UV.