• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
17 17

15,220 posts in this topic

On 8/22/2024 at 8:21 PM, Frisco Larson said:

This one always sits in my mind as a companion to the TTA #27.

Tales of Suspense 32 5.5 ow-w.png

Another unfortunate victim in a similar situation.

Why do their pleas always fall on deaf ears?

Maybe because Stan and Jack wanted the story to get past page 1.

comictta33.jpg

On 8/25/2024 at 2:06 AM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

12!!!! And 3 question marks

IMG_1827.jpeg

Another with 12 !!!!! !!!!! !!

And nothing can live that far down!

Except the 5 little fishes who would beg to differ.

And, of course, Kirby and Ayers, who have carved their names on the rock at the very bottom of the ocean.

comicst85.jpg

Edited by Albert Tatlock
add 1 line

On 9/9/2024 at 4:44 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Below is what was for a long time the earliest item in my collection.

As can be seen, it is a total wreck, and although I have since obtained an upgrade, I cannot bear to part with the old one, for sentimental reasons.

It came into my possession in an exchange deal with a rival, although tolerably friendly, local collector.

He was heavily skewed towards Marvel, whereas I was more of an omnivore.

He lived, at the time, in one of the more down-at heel parts of town, close to an old second-hand book store, whose existence I would never have suspected had he not given me directions.

Of course, I immediately placed it on my list of venues worthy of a regular visit, but never managed to find any gems there.

The elderly proprietor had been in charge of his little empire for a good many years, and had accumulated a vast store of magazines and newspapers dating back to the First World War, none of which held any interest to me at the time, but I have often wondered what might have been there.

Not long afterwards the entire area was razed to the ground in one of the 1960s slum clearances. The last scan shows it before the planners moved in with their carbuncles.

Also shown, a similar book in much better shape, most likely one I picked up at one of Phil Seuling's July 4th conventions.

The back still bears the price the dealer set on it, $2.

comicsuspense27.jpg

comicsuspense241.jpg

comicsuspense242.jpg

comicsuspense243.jpg

hulme.jpg

Very cool :headbang:

Love the old star code

spellbound_4.thumb.jpg.4a7d3a13b5137d87d27fd50c258dd2ad.jpg

uncannytales_27.thumb.jpg.d75f611894ef0dc600d6ac9d171a0bd2.jpg

-bc

On 9/9/2024 at 4:44 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Below is what was for a long time the earliest item in my collection.

As can be seen, it is a total wreck, and although I have since obtained an upgrade, I cannot bear to part with the old one, for sentimental reasons.

It came into my possession in an exchange deal with a rival, although tolerably friendly, local collector.

He was heavily skewed towards Marvel, whereas I was more of an omnivore.

He lived, at the time, in one of the more down-at heel parts of town, close to an old second-hand book store, whose existence I would never have suspected had he not given me directions.

Of course, I immediately placed it on my list of venues worthy of a regular visit, but never managed to find any gems there.

The elderly proprietor had been in charge of his little empire for a good many years, and had accumulated a vast store of magazines and newspapers dating back to the First World War, none of which held any interest to me at the time, but I have often wondered what might have been there.

Not long afterwards the entire area was razed to the ground in one of the 1960s slum clearances. The last scan shows it before the planners moved in with their carbuncles. The few buildings still standing are pubs.

Also shown, a similar book in much better shape, most likely one I picked up at one of Phil Seuling's July 4th conventions.

The back still bears the price the dealer set on it, $2.

comicsuspense27.jpg

comicsuspense241.jpg

comicsuspense242.jpg

comicsuspense243.jpg

hulme.jpg

Like the table tennis back cover ad👍‼️

On 9/10/2024 at 5:04 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

A few more issues of Suspense.

The first story in # 3 features a character named Lee from a publisher titled Marvel.

Also, the small logo at the top right has a passing resemblance to the logo from Tales Of Suspense # 35 onwards.

comcsuspense17.jpg

comicsuspense10.jpg

comicsuspense9.jpg

comicsuspense8.jpg

comicsuspense3.jpg

comicsuspense3lee.jpg

comicsuspense3logo.jpg

comictos36.jpg

Good eye man!

Never noticed the similarity between the Suspense 3 logo and TOS.

-bc

On 9/12/2024 at 11:12 PM, KirbyJack said:

Your copy of #3 really reminds me of my former copy. 

Probably not this one, which I picked up at one of Phil Seuling's cons in the mid 70s.

Wish I had invested in many more such items, even at the outrageous $2 a pop.