• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover Gloss!!

36 posts in this topic

yes but doesn't CGC consider 9.9 as MINT or is that MINT-?

10.0 & 9.9 are the same grade. They are both "Mint". If someone can post a 9.9 and a 10.0 copy of the same book, and point out the difference (other than the label), I'd be curous to see it.

yes but doesn't CGC consider 9.9 as MINT or is that MINT-?

10.0 & 9.9 are the same grade. They are both "Mint". If someone can post a 9.9 and a 10.0 copy of the same book, and point out the difference (other than the label), I'd be curous to see it.

Me and you both!

Splitting hairs! Micro-Science at its best!

From observation, at the higher grades, the lowest PQ for the following grades are as follows:

1) 10 - OWW

2) 9.9 - OW

3) 9.8 - COW

4) 9.6 - COW

5) 9.4 - COW

I'm sure others can chime in with their observations. yay.gif

I've seen 9.4s with just C pages. confused-smiley-013.gif

I mean, a 10.0 should be absolutely perfect, in every way! Does that make me a bad guy?

The problem is that in order to be "absolutely perfect" an "absolutely perfect baseline" would have to exist for each and every book. Since these books are coming off a 100K+ press run, for the most part, they are going to have variances in ink distribution, cutting, binding, staple placement etc. HOW does one choose the ONE book that represents absolute perfection? One can't. hi.gif

From observation, at the higher grades, the lowest PQ for the following grades are as follows:

1) 10 - OWW

2) 9.9 - OW

3) 9.8 - COW

4) 9.6 - COW

5) 9.4 - COW

I'm sure others can chime in with their observations. yay.gif

Steve and Mark said that 9.4s now can't have cream pages. However, they also said that when they started and didn't normally have the PQ on the label, they would ONLY put the PQ on it if the PQ was lower than what normally would be accepted in that grade. I didn't follow up with the question if that meant that it was structurally a 9.6 but because of the cream pages, it was downgraded to a 9.4. But, they emphatically did say that a 9.4 can't have cream pages (as of the 2003 SD dinner). Whether they allowed it previously is a question you must ask them. idea.gif

Steve and Mark said that 9.4s now can't have cream pages. However, they also said that when they started and didn't normally have the PQ on the label, they would ONLY put the PQ on it if the PQ was lower than what normally would be accepted in that grade. I didn't follow up with the question if that meant that it was structurally a 9.6 but because of the cream pages, it was downgraded to a 9.4. But, they emphatically did say that a 9.4 can't have cream pages (as of the 2003 SD dinner). Whether they allowed it previously is a question you must ask them. idea.gif

Interesting. Yep, all the 9.4 "C"'s that I've seen were all slabbed well before 2003. One of the books I'm thinking of definitely would NOT have been a 9.6 but for the cream pages.

I mean, a 10.0 should be absolutely perfect, in every way! Does that make me a bad guy?

The problem is that in order to be "absolutely perfect" an "absolutely perfect baseline" would have to exist for each and every book. Since these books are coming off a 100K+ press run, for the most part, they are going to have variances in ink distribution, cutting, binding, staple placement etc. HOW does one choose the ONE book that represents absolute perfection? One can't. hi.gif

POV,

With respect to you; there's nothing perfect in the world!

But what would you consider a 10.0 book to be like?

I would expect it to be flawless: Perfectly flat, centered and glossy like it was still wet from the printer!

I'm not challenging you, but asking a question. I mean, come on, what's a 10.0 supposed to mean if not as close to a perfect example?

A 9.4 is supposed to be a Near Mint. Then you've got 9.6, 9.8, 9.9 & then 10.0,......what's a 10.0 supposed to be? makepoint.gif Throw me a bone over here!

Better yet, tell me what would make a book grade a 10.0! popcorn.gif

POV,

I would expect it to be flawless: Perfectly flat, centered and glossy like it was still wet from the printer!

I'm not challenging you, but asking a question. I mean, come on, what's a 10.0 supposed to mean if not as close to a perfect example?

A 9.4 is supposed to be a Near Mint. Then you've got 9.6, 9.8, 9.9 & then 10.0,......what's a 10.0 supposed to be? makepoint.gif Throw me a bone over here!

Fuel, my most excellent friend, remember it was your statement I replied to that said a 10 should be should be absolutely perfect, in every way! .

I was addressing that and thought I was pretty clear. POV should be asking YOU these questions!

Seriously. But what do I consider a 10? A book with no handling defects. And a book with only the very slightest printing defects - mainly because, as I said, it is near impossible to have a book absolutely perfect, in every way! (sorry frown.gif)

The thing is, if you say something like "absolutely perfect in every way" you actually ARE trying to define a baseline. And since the cover art was designed to bleed abit to take into consideration the variances in binding and trimming, such a standard does not exist. frown.gif

hi.gif

POV,

Fuel, my most excellent friend, remember it was your statement I replied to that said a 10 should be should be absolutely perfect, in every way! .

I was addressing that and thought I was pretty clear. POV should be asking YOU these questions!

Seriously. But what do I consider a 10? A book with no handling defects. And a book with only the very slightest printing defects - mainly because, as I said, it is near impossible to have a book absolutely perfect, in every way! (sorry frown.gif)

The thing is, if you say something like "absolutely perfect in every way" you actually ARE trying to define a baseline. And since the cover art was designed to bleed abit to take into consideration the variances in binding and trimming, such a standard does not exist. frown.gif

hi.gif

Well,...alrighty then! I'm glad we got that one straight? What was the question agian?

POV, you are okay by me! Want to buy a straight-up 10.0 book from me? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmakepoint.gif