• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The label on 9.9 and 10 books

154 posts in this topic

So, all you 'buy the book' guys just take whatever is on top at your LCS, not even looking to see if it is wrinkled, creased, or dented on the corners? You don't care what condition it is in?

This is what you do by buying on grade alone...

So, all you 'buy the book' guys just take whatever is on top at your LCS, not even looking to see if it is wrinkled, creased, or dented on the corners? You don't care what condition it is in?

Most of my books are pulled in a box. I look them over, but I don't nit pick them. I know I'm going to read them and probably leave thumb prints or oil marks from my hands. Sure I treat them with care, but I'm not overly worried about it.

Now when I buy key books in the Spidey run I pay attention to how they present. Part of that may be the cost, but a lot of it is also what I want. I want a nice book.

just curious how valuable and what years are your 10.0 and 9.9's?

I have about 20 10's and 25 9.9's. All are from the last 10 years. More than half are books I bought direct from IDW in a bulk purchase, which broke down to about $45 each for the 10's and $35 for 9.9's. Some I would not have bought if not for the grade. What they are worth only matters if you are selling. I will let my kids worry about that in about 20 years....

I have about 20 10's and 25 9.9's. All are from the last 10 years. More than half are books I bought direct from IDW in a bulk purchase, which broke down to about $45 each for the 10's and $35 for 9.9's. Some I would not have bought if not for the grade. What they are worth only matters if you are selling. I will let my kids worry about that in about 20 years....

Oh ok I see, its modern stuff that is basically distributor to slabbed books...

Im sure there are a few exceptions to the rule, but i cannot see how many modern slabbed books will be worth anything in 20-30 years...

I was thinking you had IMPRESSIVE 9.8's like a Cap 100, Batman 251, Batman 227 or a Amazing 129....

hey that Night Nurse is pretty cool! (thumbs u

Im sure there are a few exceptions to the rule, but i cannot see how many modern slabbed books will be worth anything in 20-30 years...

I was thinking you had IMPRESSIVE 9.8's like a Cap 100, Batman 251, Batman 227 or a Amazing 129....

You didn't ask about 9.8's. I have about 400.

In the 60's some people said the comics would never be worth anything. Same in the 70's, 80's, 90's and now. Were they right? You say comics today will be worthless in 20 or 30 years- I imagine your Grandfather said the same thing. While that has never been the case before, maybe you are right this time.

Except paper comics are dying.

Except LCS's are closing.

Except we are becoming even more of a global market- throw a few billion chinese into the Ebay arena, think that will hurt things?

We'll see. Meanwhile, I will buy what I like, and keep them. I hope you do too!

In the 60's some people said the comics would never be worth anything. Same in the 70's, 80's, 90's and now. Were they right? You say comics today will be worthless in 20 or 30 years- I imagine your Grandfather said the same thing. While that has never been the case before, maybe you are right this time.

Except we are becoming even more of a global market- throw a few billion chinese into the Ebay arena, think that will hurt things?

Lots of people thought 80's and 90s comics would be valuable Wolverine Die cuts, Alpha Flight 1, Valiant 0 issues, The Death of Superman etc etc

I agree with you

But like an exception to any rule,

Moderns slabs (1994-2013) wont be worth anything in 20-40 years due to saturation

Im sure in your collection you probably have some "exceptions"....

I aint mad at ya :)

collecting is fun, not so much an investment.

Thats what Berkshire Hathaway is for (thumbs u

Lots of people thought 80's and 90s comics would be valuable Wolverine Die cuts, Alpha Flight 1, Valiant 0 issues, The Death of Superman etc etc

well 1000 bucks for a Harbinger 1 9.8 last year was pretty impressive, but now ive done dropped my number to 175, when it gets there :takeit:

so that book was worth something for a little while. with speculation in these markets you never know when a book is gonna go nuclear, avengers 55 is hot, 2 months after the movie you'll be able to buy them back for couple hundred or so for a 9.8. Only Marvel book I know of to hold any value after the movie is TOS 39 and early issues, and they were very undervalued to start with.

Good call on the TOS 39...

I am seeing alot of books are "Movie Speculation" prices...and they dont sustain....

TOS39, ASM1, FF1, and Batman 227 never speculate, never yo-yo, and are solid no mater what movie news OR lack there of......

Saturation is a problem, but only a temporary one. Of whatever issue you pick, there are only x amount available, and that number drops every year, as they are damaged, destroyed, or just somehow rendered uncollectible due to condition. And every year, there are more buyers. At one point, Walking Dead 1 had saturated the market. Only 8,000 people wanted one. Things change.

Wolverine Die cuts, Alpha Flight 1, Valiant 0 issues, The Death of Superman etc etc

and I will keep my copies of all these-- I will definitely someday sell them for more than the cover price I paid, maybe a lot more. In real estate, it is location location location. In comic books, it is condition condition condition.

And I ain't mad at any of you either. I do think our little group is a little harsh sometimes, and while most of us can get over it, I can't help but think we chase someone away every once in a while, and that should not happen.

No matter how scarce, you still want the nicest one!

Tru Dat, Tru Dat! (thumbs u

i havent checked the census but i imagine there mat be a 10.0 Spiderman #1 I would not mind having one of those....

Maybe your onto something Bill!

You're not grasping that there are foreign books out there so scarce that condition simply isn't a factor. When you see a copy, you buy it regardless because it could be years before another one surfaces if it does at all. You also have to take into account that most collectors in foreign countries aren't grade obsessed like in the US, for them it's more about completion than condition.

Yes but 9.8 does not equal the nicest one. there are many poorly grade/poorly wrapped 9.8s.

Yeah i have seen some bad wrapped and stapled ASM129s that show the back cover on the front cover....

here is a perfect example: the letter "M" got wrapped to the back cover and it is not a spine roll so its a very nice 6.0 (ONLY one in Census)...

2013-06-29_10-57-44_252_zps8910bd6e.jpg