• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The label on 9.9 and 10 books

154 posts in this topic

I would take my chances with a 9.8 over a 9.4 if I was looking for the nicest one though!

level the playing field, what if the highest grade is only 6.5 or 7.0, or god forbid...NONE exist in the census....

then by your account, you just dont collect that book?????????

Not that this will help all of us get along, but I am not interested in foreign comics. To me, they are just reprints (like trade paperbacks) that in most cases I can't read anyway, and I want to collect the originals. So you are correct, condition is not a factor with foreign books.

No, I have many non cgc books. But I do not buy a CGC book unless it is at least a 9.8, and I seldom buy raw except from my LCS if he gets something good in. I have collected since 1970, so I have about everything since then, but I don't buy or submit CGC unless it is or I think it will be a 9.8.

Tim you should show your foreign HOS run....

the set and scarcity would trump the condition

Here's a better example. This is my Mexican Bat Lash run I'm working on, the publisher is Editorial Novaro. There a a couple of databases out there put together by collectors in Mexico and South America, not one of these books is in them. They list the title but even the guys in the countries they were printed in can't locate copies.

th_Showcase76Mexico_zps2807b259.jpgth_BatLash1Mexico_zpsbb2d8463.jpgth_BatLash2Mexico_zps63f05eb0.jpgth_BatLash3Mexico_zpsb666dad2.jpgth_BatLash6Mexico_zpse0ef5a82.jpg

Here's another example, Novaro published an incredible amount of DC material including All-Star Western #10 (1st app of Jonah Hex). If you run a search this is the only copy that you're going to find and amazingly enough it's beautiful.

th_AllStarWestern10Mexico_zpsc133470e.jpg

I've had collectors from several countries ask me how I'm able to find copies of many of the books I have. The only thing I can tell them is: Perseverance and dumb luck.

One last example. Me and another board member that collects foreign books (Define999) were talking about this book one day. Based on what we've seen, we can only absolutely verify the existence of 4 copies of this one, it might be 5 but we haven't had a chance to check with one collector to ask if he still has a copy or if he sold it making one of the 4 we know about.

th_ConantheBarbarian1Mexico_zps0f33a9c0.jpg

The climate and storage conditions of most foreign books makes high grades nearly unattainable simply because they don't exist in those grades any longer.

No, and I am not sure there are any. However, I think a 9.8 exists in every book in Copper, Bronze, and a lot of silver. Probably not Gold, but who knows what someone may find.

No matter how scarce, you still want the nicest one!

Yes but 9.8 does not equal the nicest one. there are many poorly grade/poorly wrapped 9.8s.

Here's my ugly 9.8

Look at all the green ink in the fire at the bottom, but there's only 4 in the census so I took what I could get and I'll upgrade if the opportunity arises.

original.jpg

No, and I am not sure there are any. However, I think a 9.8 exists in every book in Copper, Bronze, and a lot of silver. Probably not Gold, but who knows what someone may find.
I guarantee you're wrong about this.

Yes but 9.8 does not equal the nicest one. there are many poorly grade/poorly wrapped 9.8s.

Here's my ugly 9.8

Look at all the green ink in the fire at the bottom, but there's only 4 in the census so I took what I could get and I'll upgrade if the opportunity arises.

original.jpg

Im shocked that it got a 9.8 for those blemishes on the cover..

Does this mean that CGC overlooks stain and visual damage???

Maybe they only consider the physical condition and not the possible makeup difference because it was not printed like that......

Here's my ugly 9.8

original.jpg

Maybe they only consider the physical condition and not the possible makeup difference because it was not printed like that......

Its ink from a roller and would be considered a production flaw and isn't held against the grade.

Here's a 9.8 that shouldn't be based on the bottom left corner. And yes, it was like that when it was subbed.

CaptainAmerica4.jpg

What you have to remember is that no grade is 100% guaranteed. At one point I bought a 7.0 (old label) copy of Strange Tales #114. I subbed it for Signature Series and it came back an 8.0 so... (shrug)

Here's my ugly 9.8

original.jpg

Its ink from a roller and would be considered a production flaw and isn't held against the grade.

Oh WOW i didnt know that!!

But a prinitng flaw would be visually and financially inferior when you are comapring apples to apples correct?????

I just never seen a printing flaw versus a non flaw grade to grade comparison....

We all need to get a life with talking up books hahahahaha

My girlfriend asked me how could she get me to pay as much attention to her as my books and i said turn into a 9.8 ASM129, a sandwich, and a Stella Artois (thumbs u

Here's a 9.8 that shouldn't be based on the bottom left corner. And yes, it was like that when it was subbed.

CaptainAmerica4.jpg

If that bottom left corner is the only defect on the book, there's no reason why it couldn't be a (soft) 9.8.

CaptainAmerica4.jpg

If that bottom left corner is the only defect on the book, there's no reason why it couldn't be a (soft) 9.8.

Wait a minute!!!

your telling me that there is a SOFT and a HARD 9.8????

what is that? Like a 9.84 versus a 9.85 ??????

Saturation is a problem, but only a temporary one. Of whatever issue you pick, there are only x amount available, and that number drops every year, as they are damaged, destroyed, or just somehow rendered uncollectible due to condition. And every year, there are more buyers. At one point, Walking Dead 1 had saturated the market. Only 8,000 people wanted one. Things change.

Wolverine Die cuts, Alpha Flight 1, Valiant 0 issues, The Death of Superman etc etc

and I will keep my copies of all these-- I will definitely someday sell them for more than the cover price I paid, maybe a lot more. In real estate, it is location location location. In comic books, it is condition condition condition.

And I ain't mad at any of you either. I do think our little group is a little harsh sometimes, and while most of us can get over it, I can't help but think we chase someone away every once in a while, and that should not happen.

I disagree with this notion. After the 80s comic collecting changed drastically. When people saw that you could make money off comics, everyone and their mom started buying them in bulk. Then everyone started putting them in plastic bags with cardboard.Gone was the day when kids would buy comics, fold them up, and put them in their back pocket.

One summer I worked for my LCS, he was buying up bulk collections. I literally was counting out hundreds of copies of one book that somebody had purchased at some point in the late 80s/early 90s.

So yes there is a chance that some stuff will be worth money, but I really don't think a book like Osborn is going to be worth a ton down the road.

CaptainAmerica4.jpg

Wait a minute!!!

your telling me that there is a SOFT and a HARD 9.8????

what is that? Like a 9.84 versus a 9.85 ??????

Sure - it would be insane to think that every single CGC 9.8 book is exactly the same. A soft 9.8 would be a 9.6/9.8 tweener book - meaning that if resubbed, it might come back a 9.8 or it might come back a 9.6. A strong 9.8, on the other hand, would most likely keep its grade no matter how many times it was resubbed.