• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can deals be had at small local cons?

5 posts in this topic

sign-rantpost.gif

Apparently not, if the one I went to in my hometown yesterday is any indication.

It felt almost like most of the dealers thought they had a bunch of yokels that never heard of the internet. Not only were many books overgraded, they were also overpriced for the grade given.

Which is really weird since a couple of these dealers I'd seen a couple of months ago in a small Chicago suburbs show (which was almost exactly the same size... about 7-8 dealers) where they were offering 50% off on generally better merchandise.

That is not to say there weren't some interesting books there... namely, some Golden Age Captain America's (70, 77 stick in my head, but there were earlier ones). Also, many FF's between 7 and 20... but mostly VG or worse.

Not wanting to leave empty handed, I almost picked up a near-complete reader run of All-Star Squadron for about $23, but I was feeling kind of bummed at that point and said screw it.

On my way home, I stopped into a flea market and *almost* had better luck. Strange Tales #100 for $2 (several interior pages were torn on an otherwise VG copy), Tales To Astonish 26 for $2 (Fair due to water damage), Leading Screen Comics 31 for $10 (Good at best), Marines in Battle #?? for $15 (probably a Fine, but I don't recall the number), Strange Adventures 133, 145 for $3 each (Fine), House of Mystery 115 for $3 (VG/F or so).

Too bad I'm so stuck on superhero books...

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Depends.

Sometimes I have found dealers that blow out excess stock at crazy cheap prices. I rarely see any great bargins on SA books but BA readers and Moderns can often be found at a song.

I did find an Adventure 300(Fine) for #1 in a bargin bin and some early Bronze Caps for the same.

Your statement is way too general to really comment on.

Your statement is way too general to really comment on.

Rants generally are.... wink.gif

Just tired of not finding any Bronze age stuff. That was the one thing that was decidedly missing at the last couple of shows I went to. Seems like there is a big hole in the 1973-1978 window for most superhero stuff DC and Marvel.

Very frustrating...

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Well our small con only has High grade Bronze; High/Low grade Silver and Low grade Golden and Moderns (which I never check).

No one gives a deal on Golden or high grade Silver/Bronze.

So the one area I can do well in sometimes is Low grade early marvels.

I sold the FF 12 last night on eBay for over $240 that I picked up last Fall for $100.

893applaud-thumb.gif

I should add that there was plenty of High Grade X-Men and Spider-Man of most any vintage. One dealer was very surprised (almost sounding like he pitied me) when I said I just wasn't interested in those characters...

Thanks,

Fan4Fan