• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Free Star Wars Comic #1 Reprint for Trilogy Release!

41 posts in this topic

I was lucky to demo an advanced copy last week. Get ready for some "interesting" changes to the movies. Some good, some not so good. But overall the movies look amazingly sharp.

From what I watched of the extras there is some cool stuff, the Wicket vs. Boba Fett battle is preaty funny (its the easter egg). Too bad Lucas didn't add many of the cut scenes. frown.gif

...Keep Dreaming Fan Boy!

Allthough, I am Pumped for the Original Trilogy Tomorrow!

Anyone else?

acclaim.gif

I got mine in the mail today. Unfortunately I won't be watching it tonight because I'm babysitting my four year old godson and he'd rather watch Power Rangers. crazy.gif

What you mean to tell me that these have more updated overkill that the Special Edition?

Man I hope not.

Jabba in ANH look terrible and the music scene in Jabba's palance ROTJ

wasn't any better than the first.

Oh well, Lucas strikes again! 893frustrated.gif

Changes

--------------------

New Hope

The blaster fight between Han and Greedo has also been revised slightly. In the 1997 version on the left, Greedo's shot has hit the wall, while Han hasn't fired yet. In the new 2004 edition, Han fires much sooner, so that the shots are much closer together. Also, Han's whole upper body shifts over slightly in reaction to Greedo's shot rather than just his head.

The other major change in A New Hope - all of the lightsaber blades have been re-rotoscoped to have more color and be more consistent in appearance with their look in the other films.

Empire

Other changes will receive a more mixed reaction. The hologram of the Emperor in "The Empire Strikes Back" done by Clive Revell has been replaced by Ian McDiarmid who played him in the prequels and "Return of the Jedi". The speech has been changed too and hints at the Luke-Vader connection early on.

Jedi

Naboo is now included among the worlds where celebrations are shown at the end of the film.

Anakin's Force ghost is now played by Hayden Christensen instead of Sebastian Shaw.

gossip.gif

Believe me there are way more changes than those...wait until you hear the new Ben Dragon yell from Star Wars, (the part where you first see OBI in the desert) its sounds more like a siren than a monster. Listen... http://home.austin.rr.com/obiwanspicoli/desertscreams.mp3 frown.giffrown.gif

A few more changes for those who want to know....

Vader voice is slightly changed in all of Star Wars, the opening scene of Mos Esley was changed again. Jabba looks way better but still not as good as he should. All of Boba Fetts dialog scenes are redubbed. The Rancor scene from Jedi looks way better. The hologram scene in Empire was acually really good. They removed Lukes scream that was added in the last version as he was falling in Empire. I would say there are another 40-50+ or so other small changes through out the movies.

Good Grief! I don't know if I should started this thread or not!

OUCH! When is Lucas going to learn to stop slopping up his classics!

Pretty soon it will be so edited and so touched up that it will actually look like it belongs in the

set with Episode I and II.

I know it would seem like that would be a good idea since the movies were suppost to be an on going part of those - but the heart and soul of these original movies were found in medium of which they were made.

I just hope that he doesn't go too far. The real issue with the new movies is that all of the

special effects look like special effects and not something physically there.

Oh well, I maybe one of the few that like the raw un-edited stuff.

Most of the changes I liked. They were mostly just small sound effect, visual effect clean ups. The rancor scene is really nice. They finally got rid of those horrible black outlines.

But a some are really really bad...the Dragon yell, Boba's new voice, and Jedi ending being the 3 worst.

Oh well, I maybe one of the few that like the raw un-edited stuff.

Nope you are not alone my friend.

Part of the allure of those 3 S.W. movies for me is the "dated" special effects that were used.

And how you can see them improve with each movie..

While groundbreaking effects at the time.. you can date most movies made, over the course of the past 50 years or so.. by what the special effects look like.

And for G.L. to monkey around with his "in the can" movies is to put it mildly.. a travesty..

I can see why it might stick in his craw , when he views a scene of a Tie Fighter doing a rollover.. and you can see the actualy see the outline of the "cells " in each frame.. (and rumored to be his real reason for not wanting to never release them on DVD.. or so I read somewhere..)

When an artist of anykind works on a project.. he has to know when to say

"when".. and G.L seems to never be satisfied with anything he has made.

Did Harryhausen tinker with his Sinbad.. stop action stuff 20 years later?

Did Trumball mess with Silent Running?

No... leave them be.. if only a reminder as to how far things have come.. and how simple(yet very effective ) effects were used, back in the day.

So while I still will buy the DVD trilogy.. it does also pain me that we were at least not given a choice.. to buy a "newly remastered , newly added footage version"

Or buy a "Classic untouched Theater version"

Lord of the Rings did this well.. fleeced all of us who really wanted to own both versions.. and make us pay twice for it.

And does anyone know anything about the new version of THX 1138 that is coming out now.?

Is this new version just a remastered digital enhanced version.. or did G.L. "re do" the entire thing to suit his present mindset?

But in the end I am happy that Star Wars is out on DVD.. how can that be a bad thing..

27_laughing.gif

Ze-

gossip.gif

Believe me there are way more changes than those...wait until you hear the new Ben Dragon yell from Star Wars, (the part where you first see OBI in the desert) its sounds more like a siren than a monster. Listen... http://home.austin.rr.com/obiwanspicoli/desertscreams.mp3 frown.giffrown.gif

A few more changes for those who want to know....

Vader voice is slightly changed in all of Star Wars, the opening scene of Mos Esley was changed again. Jabba looks way better but still not as good as he should. All of Boba Fetts dialog scenes are redubbed. The Rancor scene from Jedi looks way better. The hologram scene in Empire was acually really good. They removed Lukes scream that was added in the last version as he was falling in Empire. I would say there are another 40-50+ or so other small changes through out the movies.

those were the major ones in my opinion

I have the Original VHS (NOT DVD) Boxed set

Maybey that will become a collectors Item

Five Major Changes To The Movies...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/09/20/star.changes/index.html

Why Lucas Tinkered With The Original...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/09/20/film.qa.george.lucas.ap/index.html

To quote the flanneled-one, when asked why not release the originals, too?...

"The special edition, that's the one I wanted out there. The other movie, it's on VHS, if anybody wants it. ...

I'm not going to spend the, we're talking millions of dollars here, the money and the time to refurbish that, because to me, it doesn't really exist anymore. It's like this is the movie I wanted it to be, and I'm sorry you saw half a completed film and fell in love with it. But I want it to be the way I want it to be.

I'm the one who has to take responsibility for it. I'm the one who has to have everybody throw rocks at me all the time, so at least if they're going to throw rocks at me, they're going to throw rocks at me for something I love rather than something I think is not very good, or at least something I think is not finished."

Star Wars questions and errors below..

In Empire, Luke lets go and falls down. Using the force he is able to make his body fall into a shaft and he is safe.

In ROTJ, the Emperor is thrown off a balcony and dies...how does that make any sense at all???? If puny-powers Luke can save himself from a fall, certainly the Sith LORD could do the same...if not a hell of a lot more!

And on that note...since all Jedi (good and bad) have the power to levitate and move obects at will shouldn't they also be able to move and levitate themselves???

When Vadar threw the Emperor off the balcony he should have the power to lift himself back up.

West

In Empire, Luke lets go and falls down. Using the force he is able to make his body fall into a shaft and he is safe.

In ROTJ, the Emperor is thrown off a balcony and dies...how does that make any sense at all???? If puny-powers Luke can save himself from a fall, certainly the Sith LORD could do the same...if not a hell of a lot more!

And on that note...since all Jedi (good and bad) have the power to levitate and move obects at will shouldn't they also be able to move and levitate themselves???

When Vadar threw the Emperor off the balcony he should have the power to lift himself back up.

West

That's a good point, but the impression I always got from that scene is that the Emperor is so taken by surprise by Vader's action that he just doesn't have time to think of any kind of defense. As Luke said, his overconfidence was his weakness.

I have the Original DVD Boxed set

There is no original DVD box set. Its only Laserdisc or VHS

Yea, No Doubt.

But I'm thinking of buying a Bootleg Copy DVD Trilogy of the original set

(since lucas is too proud to release the originals).

Does anybody know anyone on eBay that specializes in nice clear copys

and not craap! confused-smiley-013.gif

I have the Original DVD Boxed set

There is no original DVD box set. Its only Laserdisc or VHS

Well actually the worldwide (asian )release of the Star Wars DVD was pulled from the Laserdisc print.

Was a region one code though..

So there is another set of The Star Wars Trilogy out there , in DVD format.. remastered to 5.1 also, and added scenes too..

I got a 3 Box set off Ebay years back.. and sold it again... I was not pleased with the transfer.

Sold it for $75 believe it or not.. back then everyone thought Star Wars would never be released in the US.

foreheadslap.gif

Ze-

West

That's a good point, but the impression I always got from that scene is that the Emperor is so taken by surprise by Vader's action that he just doesn't have time to think of any kind of defense. As Luke said, his overconfidence was his weakness.

Thats what I thought

West

Thats what I thought

You never know a Sith could be very defenseless from behind

when he is in Shock Force mode?!

But the over confidence makes the most sense, because Maul was easy to beat

when he became too cocky thrashing his lightsaber to spook Obi-Wan into falling!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif