• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tell me a story about comic elitism

561 posts in this topic

Tell me a story where someone, whether a dealer or fellow collector, treated you like spoon or really, genuinely condescended to you, made fun of you, or attempted to intimidate you, based on what you collect, don't collect, should collect, own, don't own, or should own. Using real names would be great, but it isn't required.

So whatcha got, sonny?

Tell me a story where someone, whether a dealer or fellow collector, treated you like spoon or really, genuinely condescended to you, made fun of you, or attempted to intimidate you, based on what you collect, don't collect, should collect, own, don't own, or should own. Using real names would be great, but it isn't required.

So whatcha got, sonny?

You mean aside from these boards? :grin:

Let me throw out a question then: to what extent does what a person owns affect your perception of their opinions, advice or insight in regards to this hobby?

No PC, fence-humping answers. Tell the truth.

So whatcha got, sonny?

You mean aside from these boards? :grin:

There definitely is A LOT of that on these boards, but it's subtle.

I would love to hear boardie stories.

Let me throw out a question then: to what extent does what a person owns affect your perception of their opinions, advice or insight in regards to this hobby?

Money talks.

I always get treated nicely. I collect Gold, silver and bronze DC books and some marvel. I think honestly, alot of the new guys might have some attitude problems. The older guys in the golden threads are actually really nice guys. I have only had strange experiences with the younger collectors. I am young myself...but I mean in LCS sometimes they come off as "I know everything ha!" Or "you don't own that book liar" lol

Money talks.

Does it talk to you?

Money talks.

Does it talk to you?

Not really.

There was the time I was 18 or 19 at the Chicago Comic Con.

By then I was an experienced show dealer, selling SA and some GA. I had several grand in my pocket to spend, and I was looking for a nice key for myself.

I went up to a national dealer's booth, looking at his two copies of Detective #38, and the owner couldn't have been more dismissive, aloof and insulting as he looked past me to assist not one buy TWO different people who arrived at the booth after me (one of whom wore the most silly Ostrich-skin boots ever).

I tried to ask several times about the books until he finally answered with a sharp "WHAT?!" When I asked about the specific books and their price he commented, in a voice dripping with condescension, something along the lines of "That one there is SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS, kid." This was even though he might have been 5-6 years older than me at the time.

I pulled out my roll of cash, waived it front of him, and "That seems reasonable, too bad." and I walked away.

I found out later that snobbery was his stock and trade.

We are trying to figure out a way to get Dwight Howard to pick up his Superman stuff from us now that he lives in Houston. We might even offer him something we wouldn't offer any other customer.

Would that count?

Money talks.

Does it talk to you?

It always seems to tell me goodbye... :facepalm:

We are trying to figure out a way to get Dwight Howard to pick up his Superman stuff from us now that he lives in Houston. We might even offer him something we wouldn't offer any other customer.

Would that count?

Free Breath Mints for Life?!

Would that count?

Do you think that will be enough?

Would that count?

Do you think that will be enough?

I've never been close enough to smell his breath... hm

There was the time I was 18 or 19 at the Chicago Comic Con.

By then I was an experienced show dealer, selling SA and some GA. I had several grand in my pocket to spend, and I was looking for a nice key for myself.

I went up to a national dealer's booth, looking at his two copies of Detective #38, and the owner couldn't have been more dismissive, aloof and insulting as he looked past me to assist not one buy TWO different people who arrived at the booth after me (one of whom wore the most silly Ostrich-skin boots ever).

I tried to ask several times about the books until he finally answered with a sharp "WHAT?!" When I asked about the specific books and their price he commented, in a voice dripping with condescension, something along the lines of "That one there is SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS, kid." This was even though he might have been 5-6 years older than me at the time.

I pulled out my roll of cash, waived it front of him, and "That seems reasonable, too bad." and I walked away.

I found out later that snobbery was his stock and trade.

Interesting. Something similar happened to me in 2001. I had some money to spend and was really excited about CGC and building my Spidey collection. I also had thousands in my pocket and I wanted to buy. The first table I stopped at had an ASM Annual 1 in CGC 9.0; relatively expensive, but not some crazy mega-grail. I wanted to check it out closely, so I asked the dude to pull it down for me. He ignored me. Asked him again; he says "I don't think you want that one". I ask why; he says "it's expensive". I say "I'm willing to buy"; he says "it's not for sale".

Granted, I looked like a punk. I still look like a punk. I think he thought I was gonna take the book and run. Assumptions are bad for business.

It took a lot for me not to lose my temper. Looking back, I bought almost exclusively online after that, and I think this incident soured me on dealing with this stuff face to face.

Every time I walk into a comic shop. I don't "look" like the typical collector reader and I pretty much get treated like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person every time I walk into a comic shop. I get treated like a newb or a window shopper. Then I usually end up being a shops biggest sale of the day as I collect and read and almost always find several things to pick up at any shop and don't mind dropping a fair amount of money.