• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 149 red cover variant

86 posts in this topic

If there are one or two,its a printers error,but suppose 5% of the printrun was such?

5% of the print run may well be such. These are not uncommon during the printing. It is the distribution that makes them seem uncommon.

But if this idea is actually going to be subscribed to, I fear greatly that we are going to see "variants" of all kinds.

I just do not understand why the word "variant" is used - it is a generalization and "printer error" is MUCH more accurate.

Matewan=Michael 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes, Matewan=Michael. I'm Michael Browning, longtime comic collector and Overstreet advisor, Michael Browning. I'm originally from Matewan (home of the Hatfield-McCoy Feud) here in the southern West Virginia coalfields. That's the origin of my screenname.

I appreciate everyone's help with this issue.

I am not putting the book up for sale at this time. It'll stay in my collection for the time being.

I wanted everyone's input before I submit my information to next year's Guide.

The reason I called it a variant is because it is different than the regular cover. I wasn't meaning it is a variant in the sense of today's variants, only in the sense that it is a variation of the regular cover, albeit unintentional. Don't worry, I'll call it a printer's error when I submit my info to Overstreet.

Again, I do appreciate all the input.

I don't think that the Board is "worried" what we and most collectors are after is consistency. Having had a few FF 110s myself, albiet in Low grade and other variabt covers (not in the league of some of the loones around here though), I do not feel that this book (ASM 149) is a variant in today's sense or yesterday's sense of the word. The FF pink cover variant certainly has been around long enough to qualify as yesterday.

I believe this is what ComWiz is referring to with the Zap Comix. He feels that it is NOT a variant and simply a production error. It would seem that CGC's opinion differed, a seller made $1400 more than the book was probably worth and here again descrepancy of opinion creates frustration with collectors. I would be interested to hear why CGC called the Zap 1 a variant - what it labels the ASM 149. Why is this important?? Becasue it is defining the terminology of the hobby makepoint.gif and I think there are those who take issue with the LACK of consistency with which this is being done on occassion, lets hope this is NOT another example.

Personally I hope you are able to sell it, ifyou wish to do so for the most money you can. BUT I ALSO DO NOT WANT THE DOLLARS REALIZED TO BE THE RESULT OF A MISUSE OF TERMINOLOGY ON THE SLAB

The funny thing is, Metro has two copies!! If this one isn't listed as a "variant" in OS, I don't see how OS could justify calling the Spidey a variant, could they? Variant...error...defect...which is it?

Shouldn't the Captain America Comics 1 without the red ink also be listed in The Overstreet Price Guide? If a collector needs that one comic to complete his collection and he believes it is a vital part of his collection and is willing to pay a premium for it, I think it should be listed.

These are comics that completists and collectors of this sort of comic would probably want the most.

However, I think they do deserve a spot in the Guide.

Now, I've found several error editions that aren't listed, including a Green Lantern 175 (Silver Age series) without the numbering in the top cover box; a Batman 411 without the credits in the front cover credit box and a Swamp Thing with a purple cover rather than a blue. I've also found cover color variants from the Whitman pre-packs, such Shroud of Mystery, which has a green cover and there exists a cover that is grey. Some of those Whitman pre-packs have yellow corner boxes and some have white.

I think they all deserve to be listed in the Guide as variations, even if they are listed as printer's errors. Whatever the case, they are sought out by collectors to complete collections.

All of the variant editions, like the Blue Circle 6s and the Red Circle 4s that have writing on the covers are highly sought-after comics for completists and therefore deserve a mention in the Guide.

Any variation that fits into a collection deserves to be in Guide.

And completely off topic, but also sort of on-topic ... My next question is this ... are the current Miracleman golds being produced from file copies bought by a comic store going to be considered legitimate gold versions, since they were not made that way from the company nor through a licensing agreement with the company? Isn't this the same as me buying up 100 copies of, say, Quasar 4, getting the artist to do a gold stamp and me stamping them with the marque and calling it a "gold" edition?

And could a copy of these "gold" editions truly be called mint, just as autographed copies aren't truly mint after their signed?