• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SOLD & Closed

24 posts in this topic

tape = resto. NIce looking books, congrats on the sale.

Ok, I wasn't sure. It's such a small piece too. I just don't want to mess with it for fear of damaging it. Like I said, it looks like it could easily be removed.

I'm not so sure myself. Tape of itself is not restoration, I'm sure it has to do with the purpose and final effect of the tape. The experts would have to explain it.

My gut feeling with tape is that if it was put on the outside bc it would not be resto, so it cannot be resto just because its been placed for the same purpose on the inside bc. 2c

At any rate beautiful book(s) and congrats to both buyer and seller. :)

Thanks for weighing in on this... I'm not looking to flip it or send it out for CGC just yet - at any rate if it is restoration it can be removed professionally for $12 by CGC's sister company... I'll reach out to CGC to ask the question (unless there's an expert here who can say for sure...)

Ok, I wasn't sure. It's such a small piece too. I just don't want to mess with it for fear of damaging it. Like I said, it looks like it could easily be removed.

I'm not so sure myself. Tape of itself is not restoration, I'm sure it has to do with the purpose and final effect of the tape. The experts would have to explain it.

My gut feeling with tape is that if it was put on the outside bc it would not be resto, so it cannot be resto just because its been placed for the same purpose on the inside bc. 2c

Thanks for weighing in on this... I'm not looking to flip it or send it out for CGC just yet - at any rate if it is restoration it can be removed professionally for $12 by CGC's sister company... I'll reach out to CGC to ask the question (unless there's an expert here who can say for sure...)

Exactly the right thing to do. Try here "ask CGC" thread

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=25&page=1

(thumbs u

Like I was telling amatta in a PM, the piece of tape is so small and thin, I bet it could just be peeled off. If the chip comes off, it is a little smaller than 1/2 X 1/4 inch, so it would effectively remove that corner. I think the book would still grade pretty nicely considering how sweet it is otherwise. I'm no expert so I can't tell how old the tape is. I had a collection I purchased in which about half the books had a post-it note with info on the book taped to the cover. I removed it very easily with a blow dryer and tweezers. This piece of tape is tiny compared to the ones I had removed myself.

Tape is considered restoration by some and not resto by others.

I personally don't consider it restoration.

CGC does not consider tape resto. It's treated as a defect and they will grade it accordingly.