• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did pressing a comic before every sub become the norm?

923 posts in this topic

I obviously am communicating poorly. Again, I am not talking about the pressing itself. I am talking about CGC's position on pressing. For years, it was undetectable. That was their position, time and time again. Bad press jobs got lip service occasionally. Of course bad jobs (a la Hooks' waffles) were always known to be detectable.

But now, after Matt comes in house, there is a new vibe that CGC is really out there looking for the signs of bad press jobs. Were I inclined to worry about pressing, I would be upset. Why not put that out there before? Maybe the press-fest slows down, because people are worried about damaging books, as opposed to the "damn the torpedoes, press 'em all and let God sort them out" free for all that has come into play in the last 3 years.

The position changed because they now have an in house service that does... wait for it... pressing. That's why there have been pressing factoids or tidbits in some of the emails from the CGC recently talking about poor press jobs.

Agreed. It's no coincidence that whereas Matt has been pressing comics and lauding the value of the process to prospective customers for many years, it's only now that CGC has brought the business in-house is the stand being taken and highly publicized that there are a lot of badly pressed books out there.

Not really. Friesen was pressing books in-house from basically inception.

But why wasn't CGC trying the educate the public about staining, warping, edge rippling, crushed spines, reverse spine-roll, flaring / butterfly, cockling, pebbling, gloss stains and melted inks 5 years ago?

They have. They are putting out tidbits in their monthly newsletter about bad pressing... EXAMPLE

(thumbs u

But why wasn't CGC trying the educate the public about staining, warping, edge rippling, crushed spines, reverse spine-roll, flaring / butterfly, cockling, pebbling, gloss stains and melted inks 5 years ago?

Wow ! :o I'm not even familiar with half those terms ...

I copied and pasted that list from their first Pressing newsletter:

http://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?NewsletterNewsArticleID=2213

They have. They are putting out tidbits in their monthly newsletter about bad pressing... EXAMPLE

(thumbs u

But why now and not 5 years ago? (shrug)

They lacked a writer like Matt Nelson. Matt has a long history of both understanding the value of educating collectors and possessing the writing skill to do so. He also seems to enjoy it, and that's not a common trait. Borock is a pretty good writer, but I've never seen evidence he enjoys it like Matt does. Litch isn't bad at writing just based upon what I've seen him write in these forums, but I haven't seen that he has the desire to write as much as Matt always has. I don't think I've ever seen Haspel write a word, anywhere. (shrug)

Wow ! :o I'm not even familiar with half those terms ...

Then read Matt's articles about pressing detection, he mentions some or all of them in his articles.

(thumbs u

:gossip: Because CGC owns a pressing company now ;)

They lacked a writer like Matt Nelson. Matt has a long history of both understanding the value of educating collectors and possessing the writing skill to do so. He also seems to enjoy it, and that's not a common trait. Borock is a pretty good writer, but I've never seen evidence he enjoys it like Matt does. Litch isn't bad at writing just based upon what I've seen him write in these forums, but I haven't seen that he has the desire to write as much as Matt always has. I don't think I've ever seen Haspel write a word, anywhere. (shrug)

You've got to be kidding doh!

(thumbs u

:gossip: Because CGC owns a pressing company now ;)

Exactly, they're hypocrites (thumbs u

[:gossip: Because CGC owns a pressing company now ;)

It was probably Matt's idea, but yes, certainly his new motivator is working for CGC. He may have been meaning to do it himself for years and just now got around to it--the articles don't just help to promote CGC, they would have helped to promote his own business as well.

No. In what industry do you work where public speaking or educational writing for the public is a common skill?

No. In what industry do you work where public speaking or educational writing for the public is a common skill?

The spin is everything. (thumbs u

You guys are master conspiracy theorists. :gossip: Certainly you're right that CGC has had a historical interest in not educating the public on restoration detection, but now, yes, they sell pressing, so they are deciding now's a good time to educate the public on detecting damage due to pressing. It's self-serving, but I'm enjoying the articles tremendously. :cloud9: It's not the evil you're portraying it to be.

You guys are master conspiracy theorists. :gossip: Certainly you're right that CGC has had a historical interest in not educating the public on restoration detection, but now, yes, they sell pressing, so they are deciding now's a good time to educate the public on detecting damage due to pressing. It's self-serving, but I'm enjoying the articles tremendously. :cloud9: It's not the evil you're portraying it to be.

I wasn't suggesting it evil. Just agreeing that you need an extremely well-versed front man to run such an operation.

You guys are master conspiracy theorists. :gossip: Certainly you're right that CGC has had a historical interest in not educating the public on restoration detection,

:golfclap:

but now, yes, they sell pressing, so they are deciding now's a good time to educate the public on detecting damage due to pressing. It's self-serving, but I'm enjoying the articles tremendously. :cloud9: It's not the evil you're portraying it to be.

You say toe-may-toe, I say tow-mah-tow.

CGC has bucket full of information and they toss out small bits of information to make the follower's happy . It can back fire if the follower's ask questions or demand to look in bucket and see it is empty

:)

I wasn't suggesting it evil. Just agreeing that you need an extremely well-versed front man to run such an operation.

To write those articles you mostly just need a writer. I haven't seen another person with that talent on CGC's staff until Matt joined. He's not a prolific writer as that forever-in-the-works pedigree book of his is vivid evidence of, but he does enjoy it to an extent. I empathize greatly with his procrastination, I'm usually the same way. :blush: