• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did pressing a comic before every sub become the norm?

923 posts in this topic

People just vilify it because of the potential dollars and cents involved. If it was over $1 incentives, nobody would ever care whether a book was pressed or not. It's because there can be $100's and $1000's involved that it's controversial.

:facepalm:

The people I communicate with regarding this issue who are anti-pressing never raise this as a reason.

Revisionism 101.

It's not revisionism. Ultimately, it's always about the money.

As someone who always seems to want to see all sides, it's curious that you can't see that it may not always be about only the money. There are few absolutes

(thumbs u

It's only about the money to those that profit from the practice. Roy knows this...yet continues to state otherwise....time...and time...and time...again. :tonofbricks:

I think it's fair to say that most ( not all ) people who get books pressed do it for the potential uptick in grade / money.

+1

But to be honest, even people whom do not like pressing have a financial reason for that. I think it is both hobby-related and money-related and I speak for myself here but there are the two reasons why I don't like pressed books as a buyer/collector/investor:

1) I don't like the pancake look/flattening spine on most pressed books (collector's point of view)

2) I think my unpressed 9.2 should worth more money (and will eventually in the future) than a pressed 9.2 of the same issue (investor's point of view) :sumo:

That being said, even if I don't like pressed books in my collection, I do not really consider myself as a ferocious "anti-presser", at least not anymore. I must admit that pressing can enhance the desirabilty and eye-appeal of some books.

But to see a nice 9.4 book with a nice plumped and slightly curved spine transformed into a 9.6 book with a flattened/crushed spine that looks like pancake makes me sad all the time.

Oh great, seeing OIB show up is like seeing conditionfreak show up in a "gay superheroes" thread. You just know that eventually he'll say something really stupid.

If you've never met originalisbest, he is genuinely one of the nicest and more intelligent people you will ever meet in this hobby. He's often helping Bob Storms at various shows.

Be that as it may, but he's a real douschenozzle on this board.

Your comment is really uncalled for but I suppose based on your posts, it's tough to expect more from you.

"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use".

Not my experience w/Bob on these boards. (shrug) He's sarcastic and sometimes short and biting, but a dnozzle?

Calling him a DN is like calling Monica Belluci a guy. Unbelievable.

Oh great, seeing OIB show up is like seeing conditionfreak show up in a "gay superheroes" thread. You just know that eventually he'll say something really stupid.

If you've never met originalisbest, he is genuinely one of the nicest and more intelligent people you will ever meet in this hobby. He's often helping Bob Storms at various shows.

Your comment is really uncalled for but I suppose based on your posts, it's tough to expect more from you.

Not my experience w/Bob on these boards. (shrug) He's sarcastic and sometimes short and biting, but a dnozzle?

Bob's cool and, as I said earlier, an enjoyable dinner attendee. Funny as mess, too.

People just vilify it because of the potential dollars and cents involved. If it was over $1 incentives, nobody would ever care whether a book was pressed or not. It's because there can be $100's and $1000's involved that it's controversial.

The people I communicate with regarding this issue who are anti-pressing never raise this as a reason.

Revisionism 101.

It's not revisionism. Ultimately, it's always about the money.

Based on that argument, you could say the same about micro-pressing then, back in the time when CGC was unable to detect it, nobody would care if it was not about money ?

Did you mean micro-trimming?

doh! Yes I did, will edit :blush:

Quit trying to deflect, F-T has you on the ropes, you should concentrate more on that.

It's only about the money to those that profit from the practice. Roy knows this...yet continues to state otherwise....time...and time...and time...again. :tonofbricks:

There are plenty of scenarios where it's about the money for those that don't profit from the scenario. For sellers it's about money they left on the table realizing they could have pressed a book before selling it, or money they lost if they feel their book was devalued due to pressing, or realizing they could have bought a 9.4 and pressed it into a 9.6 for less than they paid for their 9.6 for their collection.

Ultimately, as COI stated, because money.

Or people are really upset about paper fibers - which are constantly changing form every day in short boxes all over the world.

Bob's cool and, as I said earlier, an enjoyable dinner attendee. Funny as mess, too.

You should read more. Would you like some links?

Most outrage in almost anything is not over money, it's over big money.

Are people really outraged over unbending paper fibers?

For me, the money is one MINOR component of the issue in that I don't like to be tricked into overpaying.

The PRIMARY reason is that it's an affront to the reverence in which I hold the relatively scarce, mid/high-grade GA books I collect. To me they are essentially priceless, regardless of what they cost. I'm not wealthy by any means, so my collection is fairly small and growing rather slowly, but I do feel bound to preserve the few books I do have to the best of my ability.

Here is one example of why I abhor pressing. Both of these links are to scans of the same book at different times. The Heritage is the older (presumably unpressed or less-often-pressed) version.

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=817&lotNo=5207#Photo

Here it is from a later CConnect auction, with a horrendous chunk out of the top edge of the back cover. (I have no explanation for how the CGC could justify giving the book an 8.0 with that defect except that, for a time, it seems they were extremely lenient with respect to defects caused by pressing.)

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=473014

The book was a beautiful example to begin with - one I would have bid on very aggressively if I had seen the original Heritage auction - yet (I assume) some greedy person chose to press it despite the risk of damage, which did in fact happen.

Whoever would do such a thing obviously doesn't care about books the way I do. I have never been in the hobby for the money - if I were, I wouldn't be collecting niche GA books that will in all likelihood lose value over the next 20 years.

Or people are really upset about paper fibers - which are constantly changing form every day in short boxes all over the world.

Won't somebody PLEASE think of the paper fibers! :cry:

But to be honest, even people whom do not like pressing have a financial reason for that. I think it is both hobby-related and money-related and I speak for myself here but there are the two reasons why I don't like pressed books as a buyer/collector/investor:

1) I don't like the pancake look/flattening spine on most pressed books (collector's point of view)

Pancake spines happen in the wild without pressing. Pancake spines can also be unpancaked and the bounce is reintroduced.

2) I think my unpressed 9.2 should worth more money (and will eventually in the future) than a pressed 9.2 of the same issue (investor's point of view) :sumo:

I agree, and if you really believe that like I do, then the next step is to pay that price - which is already happening...although more by people who want to press the book up than by people who want to keep it in the same grade for their personal collection.

Quit trying to deflect, F-T has you on the ropes, you should concentrate more on that.

lol

On the ropes? :facepalm:

Deflect? :facepalm::facepalm:

You do realize that your posts say a lot about how you think, don't you?

You called one of the nicest people in comics a douchenozzle. That shows to me that you're a terrible judge of character.

You see a discussion as a fight. That shows me that you're angry and combative.

You keep coming back to a website that keeps kicking you off.

Why can't you just play nice?

I know, it's because of the paper fibers.

:baiting:

lol

On the ropes? :facepalm:

Deflect? :facepalm::facepalm:

You do realize that your posts say a lot about how you think, don't you?

You called one of the nicest people in comics a douchenozzle. That shows to me that you're a terrible judge of character.

You see a discussion as a fight. That shows me that you're angry and combative.

You keep coming back to a website that keeps kicking you off.

Why can't you just play nice?

I know, it's because of the paper fibers.

:baiting:

Yeah.

But to see a nice 9.4 book with a nice plumped and slightly curved spine transformed into a 9.6 book with a flattened/crushed spine that looks like pancake makes me sad all the time.

So its either plump OR pankcake?

you should come over for breakfast sometime. Pancakes are nice and fluffy at our house.

hint #1, dont over stir your ingredients when you mix the wet and dry

hint #2 definately dont press the pancake after the flip. If the outside is cooking to fast, leaving the inside still raw, then drop the heat and retry. Much like other skills its best to take your time. Rushing can leave at least one person unsatisfied.... i.e the person eating the pancakes... what did you think I menat?