• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did pressing a comic before every sub become the norm?

923 posts in this topic

I have yet to meet a collector who didn't want to see the value of his collection go UP in value as much as possible over time.

The acceptance of pressing is seen as a threat to the 'rareity' of high grade older books, by filling the market with more copies.

I'm sure, absolutely sure, there are people who really are concerned about the integrity of paper fibers in their collection... We are a slice of the hobby that attracts very specific, picky type of collector. And there is nothing wrong with that. To each his own, collect what you like.

But it's a very small niche of the hobby.

The main arguement has always and will always be mainly about money.

For me, the money is one MINOR component of the issue in that I don't like to be tricked into overpaying.

In the end, you are paying for something as it's presented to you. So I personally wouldn't consider it trickery.

I know I've relayed this story several times in the past year but using a real world example I feel it very accurately portrays how some collectors might feel:

True story:

A company needs a special resin for their project to work.

They order the resin from a 2nd company who is an international commodities dealer.

That 2nd company finds and orders the resin from a 3rd company who happens to be in the same building as the 1st company that initially needed the resin. They are only a few floors apart.

The 2nd company buys the resin from the 3rd company and have it shipped to their offices only to ship it off back to the 1st company who placed the initial order and charge them a tidy but fair profit for the resin.

The product was presented, the company paid a fair price for the product as presented and all parties were happy.

Should the company buying the final product be outraged if they find out that the resin they needed was only a few floors away and much cheaper?

Food for thought.

2) I think my unpressed 9.2 should worth more money (and will eventually in the future) than a pressed 9.2 of the same issue (investor's point of view) :sumo:

I agree, and if you really believe that like I do, then the next step is to pay that price - which is already happening...although more by people who want to press the book up than by people who want to keep it in the same grade for their personal collection.

Then you agree Roy why disclosure of pressing does matter, especially on these boards :D

2) I think my unpressed 9.2 should worth more money (and will eventually in the future) than a pressed 9.2 of the same issue (investor's point of view) :sumo:

I agree, and if you really believe that like I do, then the next step is to pay that price - which is already happening...although more by people who want to press the book up than by people who want to keep it in the same grade for their personal collection.

Then you agree Roy why disclosure of pressing does matter, especially on these boards :D

(thumbs u

I'm so tired of these threads,but I can understand you guys have to get it out every now and again.

Roy it's not always about the money,sometimes it could be for the love of the medium. (tsk)

But to see a nice 9.4 book with a nice plumped and slightly curved spine transformed into a 9.6 book with a flattened/crushed spine that looks like pancake makes me sad all the time.

So its either plump OR pankcake?

you should come over for breakfast sometime. Pancakes are nice and fluffy at our house.

hint #1, dont over stir your ingredients when you mix the wet and dry

hint #2 definately dont press the pancake after the flip. If the outside is cooking to fast, leaving the inside still raw, then drop the heat and retry. Much like other skills its best to take your time. Rushing can leave at least one person unsatisfied.... i.e the person eating the pancakes... what did you think I menat?

It also makes me sad to see a beautiful high grade comic getting a Stan Lee Spider drawing on the fc, or an arrival date or a rusty staple. Each collector has different preferences indeed.

Interesting offer re eating pancakes at your home. Do you put honey or molasses over them ? Should I bring coffee ?

Trimming is different. It's not benign. It's aggressive and quantitatively changes the book. Pressing doesn't.

Bull.

You think it's logical for hobbyists to consider a comic "destroyed" because an additional 32nd of an inch of paper was trimmed from an edge? Does that seem like a reality-based reaction to you? Trimming is abhorred because it's a post-production alteration and a "cheat".

Maybe it's different now with 'coined' commoditized slab-comics, but comic books used to be valued as unique production items. Value was based on their post-production life, the level of post-production preservation.

Pressing is a modern skill-based treatment applied to mimic post-production preservation. Same as re-trimming a factory trimmed edge. Trimming and pressing repair nothing, they alter a book's actual/factual "life history" for the aesthetic pretense of better preservation.

U just deflected, Damage! :baiting::grin:

No I didn't. I never said Monica Belluci was a guy (shrug)

Actually, one time here on the boards, Monica Belluci was a guy.

You know I knew that ;)

I never know which user name remembers what. It's sort of like Sybil.

Roy it's not always about the money,sometimes it could be for the love of the medium. (tsk)

Believe me, I know how you feel about old comics. I'm 42 and a lifelong collector.

Like most collectors, I love many old things.

Like most collectors I'm a nostalgic person too.

Like many collectors I'm obsessive compulsive too.

I understand why pressing bothers people when you talk about changing something.

I just think that the money is what makes it a touchy, heated, polarizing subject for people. It's what causes the extreme outrage rather than just a mild "I don't like it".

Like I said earlier, you take a book in your hand to read it and you're damaging paper fibres - the opposite of pressing but equally as effective. Why no outrage?

Like i said, are people really getting a hate on for each other because paper fibers are being bent or unbent?

lol

Of course they are.

People here get upset with one another over the most trivial non-monetary topics.

Money just becomes an accelerant when added to the mix.

I wonder if CGC can create a test that brings out the smell of encyclopedias from old comics and label that as 'Non-Modern Pressing'?

Oh wait, then we'd ALL be screwed.

lol

I remember 30 years ago piling every hardcover book in my possession on top of comic books to 'flatten them out'!!!

Trimming is different. It's not benign. It's aggressive and quantitatively changes the book. Pressing doesn't.

Bull.

You think it's logical for hobbyists to consider a comic "destroyed" because an additional 32nd of an inch of paper was trimmed from an edge? Does that seem like a reality-based reaction to you? Trimming is abhorred because it's a post-production alteration and a "cheat".

I was simply explaining why some people are willing to accept pressing while disliking micro trimming. You can't call bull on an opinion. :foryou:

Trimming is quantitatively different. the book is different before/after. You are removing matter using a cutting blade. It's an unnatural process.

Pressing is quantitatively the same. The book is the same before/after. It's benign and it can occur naturally under the right circumstances (obviously to varying degrees), it's difficult to detect (when done properly)

You can't compare the two. Worlds apart.

Like I said earlier, you take a book in your hand to read it and you're damaging paper fibres - the opposite of pressing but equally as effective. Why no outrage?

hm

One guy adds slight color touch-up with black ink to the spine of a book.

Somebody else writes an arrival date with black ink to the front cover of another book.

Somebody famous draws a cute little spider with black ink on the front cover of yet another book.

In all scenarios, black ink has been added to a book. First scenario involves the least black ink addition though.

I don't like either scenario but most people don't mind two of these three.

Why no outrage ?