• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did pressing a comic before every sub become the norm?

923 posts in this topic

I'll just keep saying it. In the long term, pressing can't be good for the hobby. Although, I admit, I believed by now the we would have seen a backlash, I still think one day. I even wonder if someone sued CGC, that it would have a better the 50/50 chance of holding up in court.

What would be the basis for the lawsuit? hm

Third-party grading company misrepresenting to consumers information that would influence their decision to purchase comics. Another could be grading certification misleading consumers regarding the actual grade of the comic, and the decision leading consumers to purchase certified comics based on CGC's warranty of grade and the accuracy CGC uses to assign a final grade. One book passing through meets the 99% reliability criteria, but nearly a dozen books passing through wouldn't pass muster. Personally, I'm surprised there hasn't been a similar thread like the Harshen one for Ewerts books for the spine shifting.

lol

I don't think it's funny at all to think someone could have been majorly rooked, on what would have amounted to a $72K loss on that Avengers #1 9.2.

Yeah, I can just imagine some hard-working guy saving up for 15 years to get his dream book, an Avengers #1, and ending up with that piece of junk. I don't think it's funny either.

Someone losing money is never funny.

What IS funny, is seeing Comicwiz distort my reaction to his ludicrous idea, and you jump on the bandwagon.

I'll just keep saying it. In the long term, pressing can't be good for the hobby. Although, I admit, I believed by now the we would have seen a backlash, I still think one day. I even wonder if someone sued CGC, that it would have a better the 50/50 chance of holding up in court.

Third-party grading company misrepresenting to consumers information that would influence their decision to purchase comics. Another could be grading certification misleading consumers regarding the actual grade of the comic, and the decision leading consumers to purchase certified comics based on CGC's warranty of grade and the accuracy CGC uses to assign a final grade. One book passing through meets the 99% reliability criteria, but nearly a dozen books passing through wouldn't pass muster. Personally, I'm surprised there hasn't been a similar thread like the Harshen one for Ewerts books for the spine shifting.

lol

I don't think it's funny at all to think someone could have been majorly rooked, on what would have amounted to a $72K loss on that Avengers #1 9.2.

Yeah, I can just imagine some hard-working guy saving up for 15 years to get his dream book, an Avengers #1, and ending up with that piece of junk. I don't think it's funny either.

What IS funny, is seeing Comicwiz distort my reaction to his ludicrous idea, and you jump on the bandwagon.

My comment was purely a response to comicwiz's remarks, which have merit irrespective of the intended meaning of your lol . In terms of legal culpability, there are questions about whether the CGC's disclaimer would hold up in court because they are sending a mixed message to consumers simply by virtue of their name. They're basically saying "we guarantee the grade...except we don't...but we do...but not really." The purchaser of a pre-slabbed book has not paid them directly for anything, so that might make a lawsuit an uphill battle. I would argue that they're a party to every transaction involving a slabbed book: after all, their entire business model is based on the premise that buyers will pay a premium for books that they have graded. I do think the face-jobbers themselves could be guilty of larceny by false pretenses as I understand that term.

lol

CGC didn't sell that book.

They gave their opinion on it, and slabbed it in plastic.

You're already losing this battle, counselor.

That's an interesting position to take, considering they did the following:

i) assign a legal consultant (Mark Zaid) to publicly announce and confirm they are aware of the problem

ii) contacted the seller through their legal consultant to end the listings

iii) asked the seller to send back to CGC select examples which were reported in the original spine shifting thread

I would say the whole event was a spirited PR stunt, but I doubt their motivation in seeing these books taken off the market was just to keep appearances, and more to do with damage control.

Regardless of what position you take, for a company, who you claim, has a responsibility that ends with printing up fancy labels with numbers and entombing comics in plastic holders, they seem to have gone to considerable trouble in going well beyond their service scope.

lol

i) assign a legal consultant (Mark Zaid) to publicly announce and confirm they are aware of the problem

iii) asked the seller to send back to CGC select examples which were reported in the original spine shifting thread

I would say the whole event was a spirited PR stunt, but I doubt their motivation in seeing these books taken off the market was just to keep appearances, and more to do with damage control.

Regardless of what position you take, for a company, who you claim, has a responsibility that ends with printing up fancy labels with numbers and entombing comics in plastic holders, they seem to have gone to considerable trouble to go well beyond their service scope.

They're certainly not naive.

It's a nutty world out there. Wear a helmet.

lol

Regardless of what position you take, for a company, who you claim, has a responsibility that ends with printing up fancy labels with numbers and entombing comics in plastic holders, they seem to have gone to considerable trouble to go well beyond their service scope.

Seriously? You're waffling now? You come in here, thumping your chest, and now you''re backpeddling?

And you have the balls to accuse me of making a ludicrous comment.

Thanks for the last laugh! lol

lol

My comment was purely a response to comicwiz's remarks, which have merit irrespective of the intended meaning of your lol . In terms of legal culpability, there are questions about whether the CGC's disclaimer would hold up in court because they are sending a mixed message to consumers simply by virtue of their name. They're basically saying "we guarantee the grade...except we don't...but we do...but not really." The purchaser of a pre-slabbed book has not paid them directly for anything, so that might make a lawsuit an uphill battle. I would argue that they're a party to every transaction involving a slabbed book: after all, their entire business model is based on the premise that buyers will pay a premium for books that they have graded. I do think the face-jobbers themselves could be guilty of larceny by false pretenses as I understand that term.

You have not clearly thought this through.

lol

Seriously? You're waffling now? You come in here, thumping your chest, and now you''re backpeddling?

I'll spell it out for you.

They did what any company would do. Protect themselves.

There are people out there who 'see' weird conspiracies behind everything.

;)

lol

;)

That's clearly the case, isn't it?

lol

;)

That's clearly the case, isn't it?

With CGC's history? Nope.

BZ93pil.jpg

Grading FAIL

Maybe they meant 2.5 square inches of paper missing from the cover.

Seeing that the book is magically floating on top of the slab, I'd say Photoshop FAIL :doh:

It's real.....unfortunately. A much discussed book back in the day.

Book was owned and sold by a board member and the current owner, who has owned it for some time now, is happy with his purchase. He's a terribly nice guy and I actually feel bad for him when the book gets discussed. :blush:

Borock admits he gave the book the wrong grade but it is what it is. Considering the owner bought the book a long time ago, he's probably going to do OK with it regardless.

Book was owned and sold by a board member and the current owner, who has owned it for some time now, is happy with his purchase. He's a terribly nice guy and I actually feel bad for him when the book gets discussed. :blush:

Borock admits he gave the book the wrong grade but it is what it is. Considering the owner bought the book a long time ago, he's probably going to do OK with it regardless.

The book being Legendary probably adds value. Kinda the Moby Deek of professional overgrading. Unbelievable, yet thar she blows.

I'm sure he'll do more than okay, even if he paid 2.5 FMV at the time. I wouldn't feel too bad, as it's the kind of obvious flaw where the buyer is going to be buying the book not the label. Yeah, some may be cavalier in throwing around appellations like "fugly", but considering some folks are willing to pay considerably for loose pages from this book, it's a sweet book to own, regardless of how it's labeled, and you have the added bonus of having such a notorious copy ;)