• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pontoon's Power Packed Boston Comic Con Report 2013

82 posts in this topic

G-Man is always first out of the gate, but as Mae West famously said, too much of a good thing is wonderful, so here’s my Boston Comic Con 2013 report.

This might be rambling and I might not be able to get through it all at once.

Leaving the house early on a Saturday can be tough due to my son, but I managed to get out the door early and to the show before things got too hectic, despite going the wrong way after following the Google directions I linked to directly from the World Trade Center home page. The weather was great, not too hot or humid.

I’ve been to every single show since the Boston Con started, in every venue. The WTC is hands down the best. Faster to get to than the Hynes, better and cheaper parking, and easy peazy load in, though I was relieved from duty on that front this year.

Here's a view from the parking lot:

ConventionCenter.jpg

BCC2013parkinglot.jpg

Once inside, I reported for duty at GACollectibles HQ. A lighter workload than usual meant I actually could enjoy the show for a change. With the enormous guest list in 2012, last year was pretty crazy and I didn’t have much time for anything other than hustling.

First out of the gate I found Jeff at the Hotflips table and made sure to stock up on the supplies I wanted to avoid anything selling out. Buying boards at a show can save a lot of dough on shipping. It was sad not to see Charles, but somebody had to make posts in the Comic Events Forum.

BCChotflips.jpg

By mid-day the show was packed, completely packed. Resisting the impulse to deck somebody as I tried to walk down the aisles was difficult. It was all the typical stuff, bottlenecks made by photo shoots of cosplayers, people walking at zombie speed boggled by all the stuff or folks who just come to a dead stop in the center. And let’s not forget the baby strollers. They were all over. I imagine I sound like a jerk, but a packed comic con is not the place to bring toddlers in a stroller, especially those side-by-side models that are as wide as a table.

One dealer even likened to the level of crowding at San Diego. These shots don't do justice.

BCCcrowd.jpg

BCCcrowd3.jpg

Once inside, I reported for duty at GACollectibles HQ. A lighter workload than usual meant I actually could enjoy the show for a change. With the enormous guest list in 2012, last year was pretty crazy and I didn’t have much time for anything other than hustling.

First out of the gate I found Jeff at the Hotflips table and made sure to stock up on the supplies I wanted to avoid anything selling out. Buying boards at a show can save a lot of dough on shipping. It was sad not to see Charles, but somebody had to make posts in the Comic Events Forum.

BCChotflips.jpg

I was bummed to not be able to make it as real life made me short on funds. I was hoping to stock up on supplies as well. :tonofbricks:

MOAR please.

That said, it’s of course a good thing attendance was so high. I was told Saturday was 17k, a very respectable number. All of the dealers I spoke with did well. I spent a lot of time at the Toon Tumblers booth and also relieved underthebigw for a bit and business was brisk and constant. I’d never seen him that busy in Boston before.

I also noticed everybody called them “cups.” Cups? Cups? They’re pint glasses. Or glasses. CKB explained it’s a regionalism. (shrug) I’ve lived in MA my whole life but always called a cup a cup and a glass a glass. Though I did say “tonic” as a young man when referring to soda.

Here's a shot to of the TT booth:

ToonTumblers.jpg

While some folks complain about finding books, I still never have a problem. Maybe when the day arrives that I have a *Bronze age fan* type stockpile of every single Marvel that will change. The show is not Chicago in terms of inventory, nor Baltimore or Heroes from what I understand but I saw plenty of funnybooks.

I did notice that a lot of the buyers were more of the casual sort. The majority of attendees seemed to be there for the pop culture aspect and were more interested in making purchases based on items out front that caught their eye as opposed to die-hard collectors rifling through long boxes. In general that’s good for the hobby; that sort of mainstream support will help keep it going. It also means ladies. And more ladies. I’m sure all of the long time dealers can remember when you wouldn’t find a woman within a country mile of a comic show.

I saw many lithe, shapely and buxom femmes on the floor, but didn’t get any photos. Here’s a link to some though:

Scenes from the 2013 Boston Comic Con

I did speak to the vampire on the right. She was the 1,126th person I had tell a Toon Tumbler cost $10, since the booth owner refused to post a sign with pricing.

So anyways, Saturday was a good day. After the show, Beachbum, Hotflips, blazingbob, GACollectibles and I went out to eat. The area sure has changed since I lived in town. The strip was akin to Boylston or Landsdowne street, with restaurants and bars with 45 minute to 2 hour waits, red velvet ropes and lots of girls in short, tight dresses out for a big night on the town. We opted for Legal Seafoods, where immediate seating was available at the oyster bar. On the way there, I got up some pointers on picking up girls NY-style from Jeff and Bob. No comic nerds they!

For the first time in years I had the house to myself Sat night/Sunday, so I took full advantage by sleeping in until almost 8:00. First order of business was coffee in my son’s Captain America mug. Weather was again picture perfect. However, the lawn desperately needed to be mowed so I took care of that before heading out.

BCCcoffee.jpg

Deck.jpg

Yard.jpg

I always assumed Pontoon was a fertile and fecund dude, the shots of his garden only cement that impression.

Speaking of creators, Ed McGuinness was as friendly and affable as ever, as was George Perez who'd I'd dare say was positively ebullient. I've seen the man at several shows and no matter how busy he is he remains incredibly outgoing and cheerful. He seems to really enjoy meeting the fans.

At the other end of the spectrum is Mike Mignola. I've been to two shows he attended and for the life of me I can't understand why he does them. He comes off as if he hates being there. Maybe its just his personality in that setting, I don't know.

And a recommendation for anyone who’d like Howard Chaykin to sign something: get close enough to interrupt him and ask him to sign or else you’ll be waiting until closing. He never stops talking. Which is great, he loves telling stories and is charming and funny, you just need to butt in.

Anthony Snyder was set up, too, but I didn't get any shots of his booth.

High Grade Comics wall, tons of great stuff. Maybe people would be less intimidated by Bob if he spent more time listening to Captain and Tennille and less to all that gnarly metal.

HighGradewall.jpg

HighGradewall2.jpg