• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics pressing - slabs

62 posts in this topic

Hi all

I'm still a noob around here and as a collector, so please have patience. :blush:

I've read the posts and arguments regarding pressing raw books, but what is the relevance of buying a slabbed and graded book, where the seller says the book has been pressed? If it's sealed and graded, does it affect the look of the book or what?

Please enlighten me o wise ones... (worship)

Some people are against pressing and don't want to own a book if they know it's been pressed. Others, may want to crack it, press it, then resubmit it if it hasn't been pressed. A 0.5 uptick in grade can mean thousands for the mega keys.

Like Shellhead said, the seller is giving full disclosure.

Thanks, much appreciated (thumbs u

And I appreciate that the seller is disclosing it all, but would an expert pick up the pressing? I mean, should one think twice about such a graded book?

Btw- I am not considering a purchase, just picked it up trawling the sales threads

Completely depends if you care about pressed books or not.

I couldn't care less. Heck, I like pressing. Some may not. You'll eventually gravitate to one side of the scale or the other.

And I appreciate that the seller is disclosing it all, but would an expert pick up the pressing? I mean, should one think twice about such a graded book?

Btw- I am not considering a purchase, just picked it up trawling the sales threads

A properly pressed book is undetectable, and it can improve the appearance. Most valuable books (and tons of non-valuable books) have been pressed prior to grading, so it is not unusual by any stretch of the imagination. I always assume the book has been pressed due to its commonplace practice in our hobby.

What do you mean by "would an expert pick up the pressing"?

Do you mean would a grader/collector be able to detect the pressing? Depends on how good of a job the presser did. The more skilled the presser, the less detectable it is. And by saying "detectable" I dont mean to infer that someone is hiding something. Just that the best press could look no different than an unpressed book.

If you are asking if collectors buy pressed books, yep they/we do. Unless someone has a strong bias against pressing and avoids buying them. Some who are looking to make a profit by buying, pressing and then selling books (at their new higher grade) might not buy an already pressed book (since that cuts into their possible profit).

Its also worth noting that not all defects are pressable so a Fn book that hasnt been pressed might still be a Fn after a press if its defects were not "pressable"

Thanks guys, that's very helpful! I really am too new to have a real opinion on pressing yet,at this point I just enjoy a beautiful book, if pressing helps so be it

And I really enjoy your gifs!

What do you mean by "would an expert pick up the pressing"?

Do you mean would a grader/collector be able to detect the pressing? Depends on how good of a job the presser did. The more skilled the presser, the less detectable it is. And by saying "detectable" I dont mean to infer that someone is hiding something. Just that the best press could look no different than an unpressed book.

If you are asking if collectors buy pressed books, yep they/we do. Unless someone has a strong bias against pressing and avoids buying them. Some who are looking to make a profit by buying, pressing and then selling books (at their new higher grade) might not buy an already pressed book (since that cuts into their possible profit).

Its also worth noting that not all defects are pressable so a Fn book that hasnt been pressed might still be a Fn after a press if its defects were not "pressable"

That's make a lot of sense, I can also see how people who believe a higher grade my be achieved by pressing might not buy an already pressed book

Many thanks

Hey :hi: Leon -

I wrote this on the other thread and think it's relevent here:

In seriousness though, it's an interesting subject that most definitely has mutiple sides:

(1) The purest - who wants ZERO alterations

(2) The opportunitist - who wants to maxmimize profit

(3) The regular collector - who wants the best presenting book for the money

I see all sides of the debate and like all things, it comes down to individual preference. Personally, I don't mind buying a pressed book, but that's me. Others are free to "vote with their dollars" elsewhere. Free market baby... free market.

In seriousness though, it's an interesting subject that most definitely has mutiple sides:

I see all sides of the debate and like all things, it comes down to individual preference. Personally, I don't mind buying a pressed book, but that's me. Others are free to "vote with their dollars" elsewhere. Free market baby... free market.

Howzit Ryan :hi:

That sounds on the money (excuse the pun)! As I said, I don't care, I'm more a (3) right now lol

I appreciate guys giving all the details when selling as well

L

Thanks guys, that's very helpful! I really am too new to have a real opinion on pressing yet,at this point.

If you think a lack of knowledge and/or experience should stop you from forming an opinion, shouting it from the mountain tops, and holding onto it as if your life depended on it even in the face of completely rational information to the contrary... well I just think you're in the wrong forum...

;) welcome!

Prior to CGC, pressing was considered to be restoration and still is by some collectors but CGC does not consider pressing to be restoration and state that they are unable to detect it consistently.

There are many informative threads about it on the boards which can be found with the search function (remember that you can only search a two year radius in one search) but some have been deleted now and many of them have the information buried in lots of bickering as it is a very heated subject of discussion.

Personally, I consider it to be restoration as the process restores a comic to a previous appearance but CGC defines a restorative process as one that adds something to the comic in order to restore it.

Howzit Ryan :hi:

That sounds on the money (excuse the pun)! As I said, I don't care, I'm more a (3) right now lol

I appreciate guys giving all the details when selling as well

L

It's good that there are quite a few good sellers on the boards who will disclose but don't be afraid to ask a seller if a comic is pressed if you want to. Any decent seller should be happy to answer any question you have about a comic you're buying from them, pressing related or not.

Thanks guys, that's very helpful! I really am too new to have a real opinion on pressing yet,at this point.

If you think a lack of knowledge and/or experience should stop you from forming an opinion, shouting it from the mountain tops, and holding onto it as if your life depended on it even in the face of completely rational information to the contrary... well I just think you're in the wrong forum...

;) welcome!

Thanks, and point taken! :headbang:

Prior to CGC, pressing was considered to be restoration and still is by some collectors but CGC does not consider pressing to be restoration and state that they are unable to detect it consistently.

There are many informative threads about it on the boards which can be found with the search function (remember that you can only search a two year radius in one search) but some have been deleted now and many of them have the information buried in lots of bickering as it is a very heated subject of discussion.

Personally, I consider it to be restoration as the process restores a comic to a previous appearance but CGC defines a restorative process as one that adds something to the comic in order to restore it.

I've noted this subject has lead to some heated debate! It's interesting though to read the differing views. I've also picked up that there is pressing and then there is 'pressing', so I take your point about asking a seller

Doesn't pressing add heat that was originally lost? lol

lol Nice.

Not to mention moisture. :whistle: