• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF #1 Found in Trash-Advice? (Go ahead and attack-Used to it)

78 posts in this topic

OK-I haven't had much luck in posting to boards regarding this-and I understand why-just hang with me for a second before I get flamed to death. This is true.

I don't collect comics-at all. I do pick up alot of stuff of value in garbage.

(don't laugh-you can't imagine the stuff i find) Anyway I find Bags full of old 50's Life Magazines-Sorta stuffy though-seems a garage was cleaned out. Grabbed a few interesting Lifes-and saw a stack of comics. Grabbed them and left em on my porch for 2 weeks to air out. A friend noticed and pointed out the FF #1 and pointed out its potential value.

I don't want to keep it. Should I wait for the movie to sell-will the value increase much then? I have a friend that sells comics on ebay and offered to list it for free. (same one that saw it on my porch) he has a few hundred sales and 100% good feedback but hasn't sold anything like this.

i've been told that it rates 3.5-4.5 and was offered a grand on the spot at the first shop i went to. The guys assistant then walked over and saw it and choked so bad on his own tongue that i thought i better make darn sure of what to do.

Here is the scan-http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/punkgeezer/b53116f0.jpg

I understand many board folks will comsider this a joke-but i really am looking for solid advice, as even though I know nothing about comics otherwise what i've learned the last 2 weeks-i do know it is the find of a lifetime-

Any advice would be appreciated-thanks.

PS-Don't hate me because I'm Lucky...

Justice league of america #3-batman #133 and #145 Some action comics that booked at maybe 20 apiece. casper #1 and #2

some Katy Kaines #1 and #2-Lots of disney books. about 25 in all-also without covers were batman #99 and a few old archies. All of the books were from 1956-1962-3

I sold the box full for $600.00 to a dealer cause i needed some cash. Plus as I notice comic collectors are a picky bunch on condition-I didn't want to sell them one at a time and mis-represent any conditions to anyone. it was all free money to me.

I also got 18 trash bags of life mags from 1950-75-almost all of them-i'm still sorting.

and I thought the jewel of this trash haul was the 1938 tin shooting gallery I found. It works!

I saw you get ripped over at the CPG boards...

from the scan, it looks like a VG or so, a fairly decent grade. It's a nice book, and it's a lucky find, but a VG FF# 1, while nice, is probably around $1500 or so, maybe a little more... (which for finding in the trash is pretty good)... you could always send it in to get graded, which would probably help the sale of the book. I think it could get a slight bump from the movie, but not enough to justify or warrant holding on to the book.

but a VG FF# 1, while nice, is probably around $1500 or so, maybe a little more...

That's what I was thinking, and then I checked GPA for recent sales and found some surprising results:

(4.5) (10) $2,561.54 4,371/1,800 Marvel Comics 1 1961 1 Aug 2004

(4.0) (8) $2,252.69 2,830/1,570 Marvel Comics 1 1961 1 Jun 2004

(3.5) (3) $1,566.33 1,825/1,399 Marvel Comics 1 1961 1 Sep 2003

All the highs are within the past few months. I think it would be worthwhile to have the book professionally graded.

Looking at those results I don't know that waiting until closer to the film's release it going to do all THAT much for the price.

I think you were extremely lucky and any funds you receive from it is a blessing. It's a shame we couldn't see the other books. It's always a cool thing to hear finds like this.

One suggestion, if you are going to sell it on Ebay, make sure the ID you sell it under has a sufficient amount of positive feedback. When a seller has very little or no feedback the auction always looks suspicious, especially with such a major key book like an FF#1.

Thats whats getting me rob-I see prices all over the place-and saw one on ebay go for almost $500 with all sorts of rips and tape and way way worse than mine-

mine besides the cover stain is very pliable and has no tears on the staples-

Way confusing for someone like me-I don't take the opinion thats it's worth the max-mind you-but some of the books i see at their selling prices freak me out-

BTW-much to this sites credit and members-I have gotten almost as much good info here in 10 minutes as I did at the other in over 75 replies.

These things DO happen. Thanks so far folks.

It's true...I once found a proverbial fortune in the trash!! Ok, it was only like 10 bucks in change but I was in elementary school and it was a fortune to me... cloud9.gif

I agree with the posters above, you need to get this book slabbed to get an accurate grade, and to help legitimize the eventual auction.

You're right-I did send it to cgc-and thought I mentioned it in my first post-I must have typed over it-My Bad. I was wondering why folks we're advising it when I thought I had typed it-Trying to pull nothing-just a mistype as I did paste some from the other area.

On checking death loks post-i was thanking him for posting the picture-not for CGC submission instructions-look at the order of the posts

You're right-I did send it to cgc-and thought I mentioned it in my first post-I must have typed over it-My Bad. I was wondering why folks we're advising it when I thought I had typed it-Trying to pull nothing-just a mistype as I did paste some from the other area.

So what's the grade from CGC?

Thanks Deathlok-I don't know how to do that!

Waaaaaaait a minute. What happened to your friend the comic dealer who was going to submit the book for you? I thought you said you ALREADY submitted it to CGC? Methinks you might be full of shiite

What are you trying to pull here? mad.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

On checking death loks post-i was thanking him for posting the picture-not for CGC submission instructions-look at the order of the posts

Post a picture of the book in the slab.