• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One Cool Chicago Report - Short and Sweet

37 posts in this topic

I didn't have any vacation time left so I could only make it over for Saturday but we still had a blast. The show is way too big to see in a single day so we will go for a couple days next time.

Here are some pictures of the crowds getting in but the line moved incredibly fast and we were in the center within a half hour.

P8080352.jpg

P8080354.jpg

The main hall was not packed at 10:30 but by 1:00 it was wall to wall people. I don't know if some of the costumed people were hired to stand around but they were down in the lobby all day long. Here is a picture of costumes when I got there:

P8080356.jpg

P8080355.jpg

P8080359.jpg

P8080360.jpg

We spent the first few hours wondering around the upper floor and it is simply overwhelming the vast amount of things available to buy on top of the comics. I'd guess the shirts, toys and gadget booths outnumbered the comic booths. There was a cool zombie shooting booth and I liked the bean bag resting zone in the center of the floor. Doctor Who fans were everywhere - might as well of called it Whoville!

P8080364.jpg

It seemed the costumes really started showing up at noon or so:

P8080363.jpg

P8080361.jpg

Some people were meant to play the role and other needed a little help getting into the role but it was amazing to see the extent people put into the outfits:

P8080366.jpg

P8080367.jpg

P8080368.jpg

These guys were simply awesome! I talked to Magneto and it sounded like they had every evil mutant in their group. I gave the original quicksiler a lot of credit for sticking to the original costume. Cool guys.

P8090375.jpg

I did ask these hard working guys if they know where Greggy or Roy were hanging out at they said "around somewhere". I know they are on the boards but I don't think I've purchased from them so I didn't really have an opening to say hi or introduce myself.

P8090370.jpg

I did stop to say hi to Harley and he seemed honestly happy to get a picture taken with him. He never seems to be smiling in pictures so i thought he would be kind of a grump but he seems very cool. Great books on his wall as always.

P8090379.jpg

We ended up sitting through a couple tables and enjoyed seeing some of the Walking Dead stars but I'd probably aoid them in the future. The crowd was told that Daryl couldn't talk about Walking Dead which left him to talk about Boondock Saints 3. And to top it off - Dennis Rodman didn't even show up! Went to lunch and didn't come back. I kind of expect it from him but tacky.

P8090381.jpg

P8090383.jpg

We grabbed a late lunch and then hit the Artist Allay section and it was more overwhelming than upstairs. Far too many cool prints to look through in one day. Amanda did get herself drawn as a zombie and it was the hit of the show for her.

P8090398.jpg

P8090395.jpg