• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

29 posts in this topic

I rented the DVD and within 10 minutes I was hoping that Gwyneth Paltrow's

character would die a grisly death. I'm sure that was the intent of the writing,

but isn't it a bit strange to cause the audience to hope for the death of a main character/hero?

I thought she did a great Lois Lane impression: annoying and always in the way. But it fit, given the way the movie was done. I can see how a lot of people would not like the movie. But go back and watch the stuff from the time period they're paying homage to. The acting is terrible. Watched Maltese Falcon laterly? It's a classic, but it's TERRIBLE acting! The characters are caricatures.

So I looked at this like I would a lot of those old movies. I don't necessarily like the characters but appreciate what they were trying to do. I liked Sky Captain. I expect a lot of people didn't.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I rented the DVD and within 10 minutes I was hoping that Gwyneth Paltrow's

character would die a grisly death. I'm sure that was the intent of the writing,

but isn't it a bit strange to cause the audience to hope for the death of a main character/hero?

I thought she did a great Lois Lane impression: annoying and always in the way. But it fit, given the way the movie was done. I can see how a lot of people would not like the movie. But go back and watch the stuff from the time period they're paying homage to. The acting is terrible. Watched Maltese Falcon laterly? It's a classic, but it's TERRIBLE acting! The characters are caricatures.

So I looked at this like I would a lot of those old movies. I don't necessarily like the characters but appreciate what they were trying to do. I liked Sky Captain. I expect a lot of people didn't.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Well spoken, Rhino.

I guess it all depends on your point of view. I loved the retro look and storyline of the film. Guess I'm part of the target audience. laugh.gif

Oh...I appreciated what they were trying to do. I very much tried to like this film. I will admit it was a beautiful film to look at. Sadly, a film needs more than that to be any good.

There was just a point when I realized that the film was never going to get any better. It started bad and stayed that way throughout. I didn't care about the story or the characters. It all goes back to the bad acting. The movie had many moments where the terrible acting stopped the movie cold. Mostly by Paltrow but Law shares in the blame as well. It wasn't funny where intended and mildly humorous in parts that weren't supposed to be. Jolie at least looked like she was having fun with the whole thing but her part was sadly too short to save the movie.

The movie sucked. Period. Every summer movie season has movies that look promising and tank. Sky Captain is just another to add to the list...

And for those that may say I'm too critical of the film or my standards are too high...I enjoyed the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie... smirk.gif

Jim

Watch for KING KONG on the EMPIRE STATE BUILDING. Believe me, he's there.

Also watch for the scenes with the comics. Try and figure out what issues they are. Someone mentioned FLASH GORDON here. More like BUCK RODGERS.

There's a bunch of stuff stuck in the backgrounds of this flick. Thats what made it for me.

Watch for KING KONG on the EMPIRE STATE BUILDING. Believe me, he's there.

Also watch for the scenes with the comics. Try and figure out what issues they are. Someone mentioned FLASH GORDON here. More like BUCK RODGERS.

There's a bunch of stuff stuck in the backgrounds of this flick. Thats what made it for me.

I saw Dex's comic books, but I didn't freeze frame to see what they were. I'll buy the DVD and take a look sometime.

Here are some interviews with the cast that mention comics.