• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Book Stinks

28 posts in this topic

There are a few threads here, somewhere, that talk about removing the scent from comics. I haven't been able to dig one up, but it was something about placing it in a container with some material (charcoal I think) that would remove the smell.

Right. Charcoal or kitty litter seems to work.

I tried the kitty litter thing and it didn't work for me - but lots of people have mentioned that it's pretty effective. I have not tried charcoal - will have to do that...

Works better if the kitty litter hasn't been used yet, Balls ;)

kitten-in-a-litter-box_zps1994f03c.jpg

Lots of good suggestions for the OP to try.

So where do you get charcoal packets from? Would an art supply store have them?

I have a couple of Golden Age books with a musty smell and putting them into a sealed container with baking soda worked well but there is still a faint smell. If I can get some, I will try charcoal.

I've had a couple of pretty smelly books over the years. I take 'em out to the garage, open them to the cf, and ignore them for a few months. Letting the book just "breathe" on its own, away from the original source of stink, seems to do wonders.

Never needed to do anything else, but I might never have had one that reeked the way this one is described. Good to know that charcoal and baking soda will help.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. The book isn't that expensive and it's not like it has any upgrade potential, so I'm willing to experiment a little without worrying about doing some damage. If I can get rid of the stink, I'll be very happy with the book. I wonder if I should be suspicious about a book with such a saucy cover having such a potent bouquet...