• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Detective 92

15 posts in this topic

Here's some pics. Am I wrong in thinking they were a bit harsh in their grading on this one? I've always had the impression they were more lenient on GA books.

I keep looking at this and I don't see 5.5

Front cover:

-Matt's press did a nice job on the top edge like I was hoping it would (compare it to the "before" pic at the top of the thread) .

-What looks like a small tear in the upper left corner is just a crease in the white spine area.

-Spine is basically flawless (except for the very top).

-Right edge is basically flawless and the right corners are fairly sharp.

-Worst flaws of front cover are the upper & lower left corners, and really they're not that bad.

Back cover:

-Some really light foxing, mostly in the upper half.

-what might be a "pencil eraser" sized stain on the right edge near the top staple

-top left corner very sharp.

-bottom left corner fairly sharp

-1/4" tear on the bottom edge

-what looks like a horizontal tear on the lower left edge is on the slab, not the comic.

-Worst flaw on the back cover is the light foxing.

get-attachment-35aspx_zps5f37d37a.jpeg

get-attachment-36aspx_zpsa049347a.jpeg

get-attachment-38aspx_zps317351b6.jpeg

get-attachment-37aspx_zpsc3811a2d.jpeg

Did you shell out for the notes, it looks way nicer than a 5.5. There does seem to be some light staining on the back in addition to the foxing, at the "fine" in fine foods and at the vey bottom, but not enough to pull the grade down to 5.5 IMHO. The front looks at least an 8.0

Did you shell out for the notes, it looks way nicer than a 5.5. There does seem to be some light staining on the back in addition to the foxing, at the "fine" in fine foods and at the vey bottom, but not enough to pull the grade down to 5.5 IMHO. The front looks at least an 8.0

At the "fine" in fine foods is a foxing mark.

Here's the graders notes:

Seriously, could they have put the wrong grade and graders notes with this comic?

Right Top Front Cover Stain: I am holding the comic under a light and see nothing!

Top Staple Recessed: The bottom staple is slightly recessed too, but the cover has not popped thru the paper at either staple, and this is how the comic looked raw, this is not something that happened from pressing or anything like that.

Full Bottom Back Cover Stain: Again, I see two tiny foxing marks, not stains and certainly not covering the entire bottom cover.

Bottom Back Cover Tear: Yes, a tiny 1/4" tear on the bottom edge

Here's the graders notes:

Seriously, could they have put the wrong grade and graders notes with this comic?

Right Top Front Cover Stain: I am holding the comic under a light and see nothing!

Top Staple Recessed: The bottom staple is slightly recessed too, but the cover has not popped thru the paper at either staple, and this is how the comic looked raw, this is not something that happened from pressing or anything like that.

Full Bottom Back Cover Stain: Again, I see two tiny foxing marks, not stains and certainly not covering the entire bottom cover.

Bottom Back Cover Tear: Yes, a tiny 1/4" tear on the bottom edge

Did you look inside the covers before sending off, it's possible there was something more noticeable on the inside, otherwise I can't see these more notable stains either.

Sometimes CGC seems to completely miss the boat, and that can go either direction, but it's more obvious when they've been too generous.