• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

Shadow: What happens is that things will move very very fast when it happens. I have seen a dozen offers go in an hour, I kid you not. On the flip side though, things come to a grinding halt from time to time. Dont give up on it. Especially since I want your original art. :grin:

I think I will have to go with my first instinct and sell all the PIF stuff I have gathered. Unfortunately the thread is pretty much all new stuff and TPB's, none of which has any interest to me. Hope you guys have fun.

Can we take a second to be honest...?

PIF is dead. :sorry::foryou:

I've been mulling over and discussing this idea with a few people for sometime. It might be time to reboot PIF. Yeah yeah, another HarveySwick reboot. :eyeroll: But seriously - do you see new "veteran" members joining it or people that participate in the community outside of PIF joining it. It's the same 4 or 5 people always participating. People WILL inevitably attack what I'm saying as "being negative" but I look at it as "being honest." That's what I'm trying to do. I'm not crying over this because I want tons of free stuff or anything like that. It's just sad because I look at the PIF thread as a way for members in the community to maybe get to know each other a little bit and have fun. It's like the Holiday Raffle or Secret Santa thread, but it feels it's been watered down or distorted lately. I wrote this in PIF and I'll post it here as well. I AM somewhat sorry for putting people on the spot, but it seems to be needed to be said. If you post something or even several offerings and 4 days go by and no one claims it, maybe next time - try something else. :idea:

Anyway, back to PIF Version 2.0. I'm not trying to replace PIF - by all means, continue on with that bad mamma jamma. :banana: But I'd like to TRY to get back to the fun of the thread. Unfortunately, I think to get to that point, some "rules" and "structure" are needed.

• A Strike system. 3 strikes, you're out. Right now, sure - no one actually gets anything unless someone takes their stuff. But it doesn't stop some from trying (repeatedly) which stalls the thread EVERY. TIME. :sumo: There needs to be consequences to that.
  • You can only take from a person a set amount of times (to prevent some people from "bailing out" others - whether it's a buddy saving another or just out of altruistic tendencies and you're being a "nice guy".
  • You can only claim one offer once per quarter (every 4 months).
  • 3 Day window of offerings. I believe that was voted on by the community and the OP was the one that unilaterally upped it to 4 days.

Before everybody jumps on board the "This isn't in the Spirit of PIF :preach: " bandwagon and forms a 2cdaic5.gif - again, I'm just speaking honestly. Do you really think the last few months have been the embodiment of "the spirit of PIF". :eyeroll: Anyone watching PIF for the last few months would agree.

Thoughts?

I've been mulling over and discussing this idea with a few people for sometime. It might be time to reboot PIF. Yeah yeah, another HarveySwick reboot. :eyeroll: But seriously - do you see new "veteran" members joining it or people that participate in the community outside of PIF joining it. It's the same 4 or 5 people always participating. People WILL inevitably attack what I'm saying as "being negative" but I look at it as "being honest." That's what I'm trying to do. I'm not crying over this because I want tons of free stuff or anything like that. It's just sad because I look at the PIF thread as a way for members in the community to maybe get to know each other a little bit and have fun. It's like the Holiday Raffle or Secret Santa thread, but it feels it's been watered down or distorted lately. I wrote this in PIF and I'll post it here as well. I AM somewhat sorry for putting people on the spot, but it seems to be needed to be said. If you post something or even several offerings and 4 days go by and no one claims it, maybe next time - try something else. :idea:

Anyway, back to PIF Version 2.0. I'm not trying to replace PIF - by all means, continue on with that bad mamma jamma. :banana: But I'd like to TRY to get back to the fun of the thread. Unfortunately, I think to get to that point, some "rules" and "structure" are needed.

• A Strike system. 3 strikes, you're out. Right now, sure - no one actually gets anything unless someone takes their stuff. But it doesn't stop some from trying (repeatedly) which stalls the thread EVERY. TIME. :sumo: There needs to be consequences to that.
  • You can only take from a person a set amount of times (to prevent some people from "bailing out" others - whether it's a buddy saving another or just out of altruistic tendencies and you're being a "nice guy".
  • 3 Day window of offerings. I believe that was voted on by the community and the OP was the one that unilaterally upped it to 4 days.

Before everybody jumps on board the "This isn't in the Spirit of PIF :preach: " bandwagon and forms a 2cdaic5.gif - again, I'm just speaking honestly. Do you really think the last few months have been the embodiment of "the spirit of PIF". :eyeroll: Anyone watching PIF for the last few months would agree.

Thoughts?

I've spent a lot of time in the PIF thread, giving and collecting my fair share of offers. I've helped try and come up with ideas and rules to improve it and tried starting an alternate trading thread.

That said I've come to a pretty simple conclusion. If you don't like the PIF thread stop opening it. There's no need to complain about it, fix it, or get bent out of shape about it. It is what it is. If you don't like it, leave it be and don't visit it.

If you've got an idea for another community building activity that you think would be a fun alternative to PIF, run with it. It will either be a hit or a miss. Trying to do something new doesn't need to have anything to do with the PIF thread.

Thoughts?

I've visited the thread quite a few times to see whats being offered. I've never participated in the PIF but have seen exactly what you're saying mainly the same few people grabbing books and then offering the same stuff that sometimes takes the 4 days to move. Its a cool program and seems like it can be fun but it just seems that the frequent grabbers are just being greedy.

I've spent a lot of time in the PIF thread, giving and collecting my fair share of offers. I've helped try and come up with ideas and rules to improve it and tried starting an alternate trading thread.

That said I've come to a pretty simple conclusion. If you don't like the PIF thread stop opening it. There's no need to complain about it, fix it, or get bent out of shape about it. It is what it is. If you don't like it, leave it be and don't visit it.

If you've got an idea for another community building activity that you think would be a fun alternative to PIF, run with it. It will either be a hit or a miss. Trying to do something new doesn't need to have anything to do with the PIF thread.

I entirely agree with Tech. And there is no "PIF spirit", except what might have come out of friendships made there, but the thread itself was born just out of the idea of giving away things you no longer wish to keep. The rest was more or less imagined or invented out of nowhere.

Thoughts?

BRAV-FREAKING-OOOOOOOOO

I have only participated once in the thread but the one thing I have noticed is that it seem like it has become a place for people to try and get rid of there drek. I have participated in threads like this in other venues and people try to give stuff they thought would be cool and people would like.

I personally set aside stuff and bought a few things with the PIF thread in mind but it always seem to be the same stuff or its become a TPB trading post. Sorry, I realize it may just be me but most of the stuff offered since I last took my PIF is not very enticing.

JMHO and not trying to hurt anyone feelings, Lyle

I have only participated once in the thread but the one thing I have noticed is that it seem like it has become a place for people to try and get rid of there drek. I have participated in threads like this in other venues and people try to give stuff they thought would be cool and people would like.

I personally set aside stuff and bought a few things with the PIF thread in mind but it always seem to be the same stuff or its become a TPB trading post. Sorry, I realize it may just be me but most of the stuff offered since I last took my PIF is not very enticing.

But that’s how it started. I don’t think there were much intentions on NamesJay's part than to make it basically a "trade forward" thread.

My 2c

I've only done PiF once because I wanted to try to help move things along.

I got two trades (thank you) and made an offer that afternoon with four options. The offer was taken pretty quickly (within a few hours) and things began moving. I like the idea of PiF, but see how things can get stalled.

Maybe a 2.0 would not replace PiF, but could be sometype of trading system without $$$$ involved. Example, I could say I have these trades:

Invincible TPB 1

Bedlam 1

Saga 1

Mind MGMT 1 (HC)

And someone that wanted to read them could offer me one of their trades or a small run of comics in return. I look at PiF as a way to promote comic reading at a low cost (shipping only). Sure there are other items and slabs, but this is just how I see it.

Well, there's my 2c from someone that doesn't play here much. You guys do what you like, but try to have something where it's (1) easy, (2) fun, (3) doesn't cause problems.

I'm not sure how many (if any) of the criteria are currently being met. But, once again, I'm a relative non-player. So (shrug)

I’ve visited the PIF thread often over the past few months and remained a bench player mostly. I was playing the cut to see how things flow and make an educated decision on whether to participate or not.

Unfortunately, some of the concerns voiced by others are the reasons why I’ve yet to “Pay It Forward,” since I feel that thread is less about that (what it really means to pay it forward) and more about looking to catch a good deal and getting rid of drek. In my opinion, the true essence of PIF is lost there, not by everyone, but by enough players to make it not be fun.

PIF is about the receiver of a good deed repaying it to others instead of to the original patron, but some people seem to live there, waiting to prey on that next awesome offer. How many times does one individual really need to pay it forward? I see that thread more as a “freebies for the quickest draw” or "drek recycling" than an actual PIF. As such, I won’t participate, but I do hope things progress and the thread eventually gets better, since the idea of a PIF thread is great, just not the way it’s going now.

That’s my unrequested 2c and with that said I'm all for a PIF Thread 2.0 or 1.1 or whatever... I'm liking the suggestions made and the rules being discussed so far; I hope to be a participant once that is established. Harv... DO IT!

[*]You can only claim one offer once per quarter (every 4 months).

Thoughts?

PIF would have to become one incredible thread, attracting MANY participants, for this to work without stalling. Of course, it would be great if that happens, but...