• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

Maybe they can limit the number of "takes" to maybe 4 per year. Those that lurk and take good offers will probably be out of it within a couple months which will give other members the opportunity join the thread.

This is what I was just thinking. Putting a cap on the number of offers someone could claim in one year. I just want to look out for people so they're not overly "charitable", you know? ;)

So if someone wants to use up all of their claims in a short period of time, so be it. It's all open for discussion. And again - I'm not replacing PIF. Anyone can still of course keep that thread going and follow PIF's rules. (thumbs u

I think putting a cap on the number of claims and also maybe making it so that those that took a PIF within the last two, or so months, ineligible to claim an offer until three months into the new rule. That way it'll get new blood into it.

I think anything over a month is going to stall the thread. I am just not sure there is enough people on the board willing to participate to take it out past a month per claim.

But that's the thing - we don't even need a "revert" back to the last offer with a strike system. You get three strikes - :hi: "Thanks For Playing!"

People will WANT their offers taken, not just an obligatory offering.

If their time is up - they get a strike and anyone can offer something up.

For awhile it was a very cool thread. It worked exactly how it was suppose to, and I participated several times.

Then people started taking advantage. Not only taking advantage, but some of the people taking advantage even complained about others abusing it completely ignorant to their own actions. This resulted in good members not participating anymore.

There are a few good members still trying to keep it alive. But the problem is no ones owns the thread to ban / call out abusers of the thread. Everything is solved by committee discussions, private PM groups, or complaining about it in this thread.

It needs a board member to be the moderator. Not a committee. One person people know is a good board member. Then it would move better. 2c

Under the new system, is there going to be a rule that the item must be up for a set amount of time before anyone can claim it? That way certain people can't complain they did not get a chance to click the thread in time.

I also think capping it to a few times a year will make it an extremely slow and boring thread. One of the most exciting parts of PIF is when it rolls very quickly with dozens of offers being given and taken in a night. Isn't the problem not that some people claim once a week, but the ones that claim once a week then immediately stall the thread for four days with junk? If someone claims something and their followup offer is claimed immediately, that is a good thing and fun.

Under the new system, is there going to be a rule that the item must be up for a set amount of time before anyone can claim it? That way certain people can't complain they did not get a chance to click the thread in time.

I also think capping it to a few times a year will make it an extremely slow and boring thread. One of the most exciting parts of PIF is when it rolls very quickly with dozens of offers being given and taken in a night. Isn't the problem not that some people claim once a week, but the ones that claim once a week then immediately stall the thread for four days with junk? If someone claims something and their followup offer is claimed immediately, that is a good thing and fun.

Ok, so what about instead of capping it, what about a rule for those that have already claimed one within the last month, or so, cannot take an offer until 24 or 48 hours after it has been put up. At least this will give almost everyone an opportunity to claim it if they choose to do so.

I agree that it looks pretty fun when multiple offers are put up and taken in a night and more often than not someone winds up putting something up that no one picked up the last three or four times it was offered.

I don't get the seemingly continual desire to change PIF due to "drek donkeys". As far as no one wanting your offer, this has been addressed with the 4-day expiration. As has been noted, those who are trying to overhaul the system never seem to participate, even when there's a quality offer up.

If you dislike PIF, don't participate. If you want something different, make it. Look at what techvoodoo did with tpbswap. He put a lot of effort in and made a new system, and it's great ( (worship) ). You want something better, make it up.

Signed,

Drek Donkey :insane:

Ok, so what about instead of capping it, what about a rule for those that have already claimed one within the last month, or so, cannot take an offer until 24 or 48 hours after it has been put up. At least this will give almost everyone an opportunity to claim it if they choose to do so.

similar rules exist

I agree that it looks pretty fun when multiple offers are put up and taken in a night and more often than not someone winds up putting something up that no one picked up the last three or four times it was offered.

Yes, 3 Day Rule.

And the cap on number of claims is to prevent a new thread being taken over just like PIF was. (shrug) If there's a cap of four or five claims a year, I don't think that's a horrible cap. Meaning people will claim something everything few months! The horror!! :o

I don't get the seemingly continual desire to change PIF due to "drek donkeys". As far as no one wanting your offer, this has been addressed with the 4-day expiration. As has been noted, those who are trying to overhaul the system never seem to participate, even when there's a quality offer up.

If you dislike PIF, don't participate. If you want something different, make it. Look at what techvoodoo did with tpbswap. He put a lot of effort in and made a new system, and it's great ( (worship) ). You want something better, make it up.

Signed,

No one is changing PIF. Keep PIF going by all means. (thumbs u

And the thread will be dormant almost all of the time. I do not think you realize the small amount of people that will be participating and how quickly they will all use up their quarter allotment. Then some poor sap is going to get a strike because no one is left to claim his cool offer.

No, I meant earlier that does the offer have to be posted for 5 minutes or something before being claimed so no one cries that they didnt get to click the link in time or is it still available the second it is posted?

Signed,

No one is changing PIF. Keep PIF going by all means. (thumbs u

Ah, I see. Good luck and have fun!

Then the thread is dormant. Or dead. Or whatever. But it won't be a joke PIF has become with the same 5 people constantly taking things because no one else WANTS to participate. Those crazy fun nights will happen. And then they won't. But either way - no way people are going to be allowed to take an offering every other week. That sort of becomes people's personal place to find good deals (see, Free).

Ernesto had some excellent points so I'll bump it again here.

I’ve visited the PIF thread often over the past few months and remained a bench player mostly. I was playing the cut to see how things flow and make an educated decision on whether to participate or not.

Unfortunately, some of the concerns voiced by others are the reasons why I’ve yet to “Pay It Forward,” since I feel that thread is less about that (what it really means to pay it forward) and more about looking to catch a good deal and getting rid of drek. In my opinion, the true essence of PIF is lost there, not by everyone, but by enough players to make it not be fun.

PIF is about the receiver of a good deed repaying it to others instead of to the original patron, but some people seem to live there, waiting to prey on that next awesome offer. How many times does one individual really need to pay it forward? I see that thread more as a “freebies for the quickest draw” or "drek recycling" than an actual PIF. As such, I won’t participate, but I do hope things progress and the thread eventually gets better, since the idea of a PIF thread is great, just not the way it’s going now.

Make no mistake - junk donkeys Need Not Apply. PIF can keep on trucking. I just wanted to give people another outlet to feel like they can offer up something to "give back" and not feel like they are going to be taken advantage of.

And the thread will be dormant almost all of the time. I do not think you realize the small amount of people that will be participating and how quickly they will all use up their quarter allotment. Then some poor sap is going to get a strike because no one is left to claim his cool offer.

No, I meant earlier that does the offer have to be posted for 5 minutes or something before being claimed so no one cries that they didnt get to click the link in time or is it still available the second it is posted?

I've missed a couple of cool books liked the last cgc'd signed batman that would of been great in my collection but I'm not going to complain. If I didn't see it because life gets in the way, oh well. If more cool offers are made I will participate if not I won't.

I've missed a couple of cool books liked the last cgc'd signed batman that would of been great in my collection but I'm not going to complain. If I didn't see it because life gets in the way, oh well. If more cool offers are made I will participate if not I won't.

I agree, I missed an awesome run of trades I wanted to read one time just to see someone offer up a fraction in return. I can't get mad because someone else clicked and I did not. I was just curious how extreme some of these rules are going to be to appease certain chronic complainers.

Or maybe the same few offenders will stop acting like clown shoes and the problem will be solved.

Oh, how I wish....but we both know that will never happen. :sorry:

I might analyze it someday, but I would venture to say that the amount of people clogging up the PIF thread is actually a small number. Perhaps even less than 10. Don't forget that a couple of them that did not contribute to the boards in any way except to post in PIF left after the last calling out of names.